Send Topic Print
New member (Read 10822 times)
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Re: New member
Reply #15 - 01/04/09 at 04:33:42

Richard,

The new Radial EER's will be shipping with very short tip toe spikes to keep the height were it should be. You could use any 1/4"-20 threaded spike however, I bore the hole into the base as deep as I can, allowing  most of the threads to recess  into the base.

Lon,

This is much the same on the retail radials, as well as the MG944's...loading the passive against the plinth base  works very well!

BobZ

All Decware amps and sources, Turning Point Audio speakers
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #16 - 01/04/09 at 13:06:05

Thanks Bob! Smiley

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DVD-A1UDCI, Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Stradivarius, Ultra Linear+Evo ICs, Iso-Pods,Mapleshade:Double Heiix Plus,Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
Stone Deaf
Seasoned Member

Reply #17 - 01/04/09 at 16:35:44

Thanks Bob. Having never owned radial speakers I don't have a clue how to set them up. It almost seemed to me there would be little issue with height. Will there be any issue of them sitting on hardwood over concrete floor? What about sitting the speaker on a small throw rug? I haven't begun to ask some real stupid questions yet and probably won't run out of them soon LOL. Hopefully there will be a few sheets of instructions included labeled Radials For Dummies.

On a good note last night my JMR Twins sounded very nice. Peter Gabriel sounded like he was singing in my room. With the new system I expect to be able to detect what brand of mouthwash he uses. My music room has new wall treatment installed on three walls and ceiling. I was shocked to notice how close to the Twins I was sitting when I found the sweet spot. With the twins approx 7-8 feet apart and slightly toed in I was about three feet away from them. The difference was major not slight. The next best spot was at around eight feet away but not with the same depth.

My system: Decware Taboo, CSP2, ZP3, Pro-Ject RM 10 / Grado Reference Sonata, Adcom 700, ERR Radials, Lots of Mapleshade, Kimber and Herbie's stuff.
  IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Reply #18 - 01/04/09 at 18:04:54

Richard,

Height was more of an issue with the older RL-1-2's, which had more to do with the bass response. But if the main driver is to high, the lower mids seem to suffer. The front driver on the RL-3's solved there height issue. The new plinth bases don't really care if they are on wood, concrete or carpet.  Set up with the EER's is for dummies, the round RL-1 - 2's it was hard to tell if the tow in was just right, the EER's being square make that a bit easier, and like most speakers, there position relative to room boundaries will change the bass response, other than that, almost anything else works. They can almost touch each other, 5 feet in front of you and the EER's will image just as well as the normal speaker set up.

I have, on more than one occasion, while the listener sat in the listening chair with eyes closed, set up two radials just in front of, and right beside the listening chair. Then turned on the music, had them open there eyes only to tell me the two speakers, in the normal speaker position was what he was listening to. Even after knowing which pair of speakers were playing, they still had the sound stage up in the front of the room.  

I don't think the EER's are going to let you know what kind of mouth wash Peter Gabriel used, I think the only way to tell that would be if the EER's produced sent, they're good, but not that good!!! Wink  

BobZ

IP Logged
Stone Deaf
Seasoned Member

Reply #19 - 01/09/09 at 16:11:29

Another question while i am pestering you guys. There are two sets of binding posts on the speaker should I bi-wire them, use jumpers or pick a pair?

My system: Decware Taboo, CSP2, ZP3, Pro-Ject RM 10 / Grado Reference Sonata, Adcom 700, ERR Radials, Lots of Mapleshade, Kimber and Herbie's stuff.
  IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Reply #20 - 01/09/09 at 23:56:38

Richard,

Actually, there are 3 sets of binding posts on the back, use the lower or bottom set,  the EER's are not able to be bi-amped or bi-wired.

Bob Z

IP Logged
Stone Deaf
Seasoned Member

Reply #21 - 01/18/09 at 02:38:56

I got to ask what are the other two sets for? Is there a warning tag *For authorized use only. Use by consumer voids warranty*?

Since my floor is live I have opted to put down two 2X3 wool Persian throw rugs and place the speakers on them.

IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Reply #22 - 01/21/09 at 04:50:15

Richard,

The other two sets are for the cap and the resistor....you can  cap roll if you like, or attenuate the tweeter to suit your taste.

BobZ

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #23 - 01/21/09 at 16:06:07

Thanks Bob.  Will be interesting to see what rolling a capacitor does.  Same set up on the upcoming retail version, yes?

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DVD-A1UDCI, Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Stradivarius, Ultra Linear+Evo ICs, Iso-Pods,Mapleshade:Double Heiix Plus,Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Reply #24 - 01/22/09 at 01:40:25

Lon,

That would be a no...

If you think about it, people that are part of this forum, like to tweak things and play around with  tubes, caps wiring and the like, but I'd be afraid someone looking at the retail side of things would just think it was to complicated, or "Whats this for"  and may be turned off by it. So the idea was to go for bi-wire or amped which a lot of people expect, I would think.

The RL-3's had the caps and the resistors exposed, where the RL-1 thru 2's did not, with the pyramid cabinets it again allowed us to do it so we did. Its just more fun that way!

BobZ  

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #25 - 01/22/09 at 03:20:13

Thanks for the info.  Makes sense.

With my experience with the RL1s and RL2s, of paramount importance for me would be tweeter attenuation. . . I've always needed to tame the tweeters.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print