Finally Finished! (Read 10886 times)
musgofasa
Seasoned Member

Where is that
monkey? I want to
shoot something!

Re: Finally Finished!
Reply #15 - 01/15/09 at 17:49:04

Had the opportunity to do some deep listening recently and I have some conclusions.

These are the best sounding speakers I have ever owned by at least 10,000%. I have done so many car systems with full active XO networks and seriously researched time alignment etc. I even have a full blown system in my Impala right now. It sounds like trash next to these speakers.

With the SI amp, they are smooooooooth. I can only imagine what it will be like if I ever get a tube amp going with these things. I have discovered the main difference in full range and multi way speakers and a way to describe it.

With the multi way speakers and with the car systems, inevitably, I end up using some sort of sound equalization to adjust the midrange (telephone band) of frequencies to a level that is either even with the lows and highs or to make the speakers listenable. Even if they do a terrific job in this range, it is still this area that needs adjustment to make them sound "right". Once that is done, it is so easy to tell what has been done. You can just "feel" that the mids are either attenuated or boosted to cause the sound you are hearing.

With these speakers, everything is set to 0. There is no boost, no attenuation, and no adjustment necessary. With the subwoofer turned completely off, the sound is effortless and open. They just sound "right". Steve said that when listening to a good speaker, other speakers sound broken. I now know what he meant. It took me listening in an A/B environment and swtiching between good and what i used to think was good to understand.

call it image, stage, warmth, clarity, flatness, brightness, openness, or anything else you want, it is just a difference in the way you hear the sound. Simple fact is, the full range speakers do something no other speakers do and they do it without being manipulated into it.

I will still build more experiments, but I definitely have my own benchmark for my room now.

Thanks for the plans and all the advice to everyone at DecWare. Thanks especially to Bob for putting up with me!

Take care,
Robert

The graveyard is full of important men
musgofasa   IP Logged
mike_gagne

Reply #16 - 01/16/09 at 07:17:24

Robert, your comments are inspiring to those of us considering the same thing-building speakers. mahalo!

IP Logged
musgofasa
Seasoned Member

Where is that
monkey? I want to
shoot something!

Reply #17 - 01/19/09 at 17:38:55

Mahalo Mike,

I have to admit, if I were to do this again, I believe I would build the MKII version exactly by the plans. Other than that, I am pleased to say it is inspiring to know how good they can sound. I have played a lot with them over the weekend and even my wife found herself sitting there just listening.

Good luck with whatever project you choose Mike!

Robert

musgofasa   IP Logged
Corey
Verified Member

Reply #18 - 02/22/10 at 23:14:34

Robert,

When you built your HDT II's did you find the single plate loaded the TL ideally?

The Fostex HDT uses a single plate and the Silver Flute uses 2 plates.

I am wondering how finicky the Silver Flute is to being loaded to produce bass.  If I can get away from having to use 2 plates and put the Swan's tweeter floating above the single plate it would make construction easier.

« Last Edit: 02/22/10 at 23:16:23 by Corey »  

Bass makes me strong.
WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #19 - 02/23/10 at 02:09:04

The dual plate setup on the MK II's is an imaging enhancement and a bass enhancement.  Even the regular HDT would probably sound better with the dual plate system.  In the dual plate system, the first plate is screwed to the cabinet through spikes.  You can lift the entire cabinet by it.  It has a hole with 1/3rd the area of the transmission line below it.  The second plate is then floating above the first on spikes and is pinned tuned to the first plate with a single bolt in the center.  Adjusting the tension on the bolt actually tunes the plates.  The tension works with the cabinet resonance to cancel each other out resulting in much tighter bass.  

It's a good thing I'm not smart because my speaker designs might become complicated.

;)

WWW   IP Logged
mike_gagne

Reply #20 - 02/23/10 at 06:26:25

Steve, I agonized over this when I built my HDTs which I just recently finished (or so I thought). I now want to reconfig the plates. I used Aqatec marine ply for the boxes which is quite dense and my plates are solid wenge, a hard and very dense and musical wood. I have enough 13 1/2" wide solids to add this second plate and now must follow through. I really need to get them out of the shop and back in system. Thanks for the push.    

mike

IP Logged
musgofasa
Seasoned Member

Where is that
monkey? I want to
shoot something!

Reply #21 - 03/13/10 at 02:04:28

WoW!

I haven't been here in a long time and didn't even know anyone had checked the thread. I opted for the single plate on mine simply because I felt the build was complex enough for my abilities. To be honest, I found it to be a bit beyond my abilities to do correctly, but I was, and still am, extremely pleased with the results.

Steve, please don't get any smarter! I don't want to build anything more complicated than this ever again! lol

musgofasa   IP Logged
mike_gagne

Reply #22 - 03/13/10 at 07:28:47

Musgofasa, as a 37 yr woodworking professional, a life sentence, I have completed mine with the two top plates as Steve described. I love them and have pictures to show the process which I think make it easy to understand. I will be posting them soon with a few tips to make readers see how easy they can and should be. If you like your result you should consider them done and great. If you have thosae nagging doubts, take the plunge and tune them up. Pictures coming soon.    mike

IP Logged
Yoda

I ride!

Reply #23 - 03/14/10 at 02:19:32

Curious to see the plates.  I made single plates that rest on top.   I built the HDT's when they were first published, switched over to the MkII drivers.   I missed that single full range sound and had decware bring my 206's up to date.  So today I'm implementing the Alternate tuning setup.

Decware HDT-Alt tuning, Hagtech Cymbals
Hagerman: Chime Gold DAC; Castanet Line Stage; Cornet II, Piccolo, Thorens TD160 w/ Rega Rb300; Oracle Alexandria II TT, Mayware F4 arm w/Soundsmith-Denon dl-103, Yamaha T-1 Tuner
Many fostex experiments....
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print