Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/19/14 at 19:36:02

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
New customs options available for the ZCD (Read 19665 times)
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Re: New customs options available for the ZCD
Reply #15 - 12/06/08 at 12:27:02

The DEC685 started skipping on some discs, some of my favorite discs and some newly arrived discs and it started getting annoying enough that I took it out.  For a while I was using it in the bedroom as a dvd and cd source, and it didn't exhibit the same problem!  So now it sits lonely.  I could put it back in and see what is up, but the Blu-Ray player is doing such a good job that I'm not doing so.  I don't need another DEC695. . . I need to sell something more than buy somethng!  I have a DEC685 amd a very nice NAD just being stored right now.

I'm going to have these modifications done to the ZCD and if it doesn't thrash the Blu-Ray after those are added, I'll probably put it up for sale. . . . I've just got too much of a "love/hate" thing going.  Partly it's there's a bit of warmth with the Blu-Ray I haven't yet gotten from the ZCD, partly the ZCD is just so unforgiving that only handfuls of discs sound exceptional, and I'm not a "listen to handfuls of discs" sort of guy; I listen to about fifty different discs a week. The Blu-Ray is a great machine, its' no longer the flagship (Sony released a new one this year that looks amazing) but it's quite a feat of engineering, a computer with transports really.

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+(2),Torii Mk III, PS Audio PWT+PWD MkII,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100, Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable IC: Evo and UL, Mapleshade:Double Heiix Samsonv2+v3 and 4"platforms,Herbie's IsoCups+Tendft
  IP Logged
Doorman
Seasoned Member

"pouring from
the empty into the
void"

Reply #16 - 12/06/08 at 16:58:15

I retired a Jolida 603 cdp that skips occasionally, I then bought the ZCD.
The synergy with the rest of my stuff is the best I've had.
--there's a dilemma with failed components though, can't sell 'em, hate to throw them out,  so instead we store them. ( my wife casts a very skeptical eye on my growing collection!)
Don

Decware SE34I w/ CCE mod, ZCD, Heybrook/Linn/Clearaudio, Hagerman,
Goertz/Wireworld/cat-5/MarkAudio Alpair 10.2 drivers
(eN) in DIY Mar-Ken cabs
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #17 - 12/06/08 at 18:35:20

Indeed. . . I have a collection of that, even stuff that works that I just can't seem to part with.

Maybe one day I'll clean house!

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+(2),Torii Mk III, PS Audio PWT+PWD MkII,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100, Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable IC: Evo and UL, Mapleshade:Double Heiix Samsonv2+v3 and 4"platforms,Herbie's IsoCups+Tendft
  IP Logged
Hotsauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #18 - 01/09/09 at 12:38:49

On CD players that skip, often removing the cover, and giving the lens a blast of canned air will cure the problem.  

John C.

IP Logged
Doorman
Seasoned Member

"pouring from
the empty into the
void"

Reply #19 - 01/09/09 at 20:20:41

Thanks, John.I've had the cover off, but didn't try to clean the lens. Roll Eyes
Don

Decware SE34I w/ CCE mod, ZCD, Heybrook/Linn/Clearaudio, Hagerman,
Goertz/Wireworld/cat-5/MarkAudio Alpair 10.2 drivers
(eN) in DIY Mar-Ken cabs
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #20 - 01/10/09 at 15:04:23

I received my ZCD back with all options installed.  The saving grace in this is the ability to dial back the output of the player. . . this is really making the frequency balance better for my system.  I think the tube rectification is making a significant improvement as well.

It's hard to be categorical because I've also changed from 2" to 4" Mapleshade maple platforms while the ZCD was away, but I think I have a handle on the improvements (yes, quite) made by the new platforms through their effects on the Sony ES Blu-Ray player.  It's been four or five days now that the ZCD is back and I'm enjoying it.  I also really enjoy the Blu-Ray player, it has a certain naturalness that makes the ZCD sound a bit more "hifi". . . . I can easily live with either of these players.  I am lucky, I get to live with both! Smiley

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #21 - 01/21/09 at 16:19:36

Further listening notes:  yes, this ability to vary the output of the player has transformed it in my system.  I can now dial it in just right, and it's clearly a giant-killer. Undoubtedly the tube regulation is a big factor in this, hard for me to tell as I was never able to get the right output for my system from the player before the tube regulation option was added.

I say order this player with all the options and expect to be very pleased.

« Last Edit: 01/22/09 at 03:24:31 by Lon »  

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #22 - 02/22/09 at 16:17:47

Okay, the ZCD is just driving me insane.  I don't get the sound I think I should out of it, so I've taken it out of the system again, and simplified the system by using the Sony ES Blu-Ray player as the source. I lack some of the dimensionality of the ZCD but the tonal balance is right and I relax into the sound.

I know one day I'll stick the ZCD back in, or use it in another system in another house.  I want to love it so much, and have a lot invested in it!  But. . . it just makes me crazy.

IP Logged
76doublebass
Verified Member

Reply #23 - 04/02/09 at 15:21:08

I was looking at your posts on the ZCD. i HAVE AN IDEA THAT i'M SURE WOULD HELP OUT THE PLAYER. Purchase some Deflex panels
and glue them into every open space in the chassis of the ZCD.
I am sure this would bring the ZCD to another level of playback
and would relax its sound and give it more weight and transparency as well.
Just a thought I had tried it on my Toshiba dvd and in every way
it improved the player. I eventually will use this stuff inside a ZCD after I get all the mods done on one first.

I bought a factory new Tascam 160 mk2 this week and should be getting it end of next week to burn in for a month and then I'll send it out in May for all the mods to be done on the player. So I was watching your postings with interest and will be taking the plunge in May for all the mods done.
Ill get the detachable IEC, CLASS A OUTPUT, AND TUBE POWER SUPPLY WITH DUAL ATTENTUATORS.
But I need to wait and have this done begoinning May and will report my findings from my system has to how it sounds then.
Don C Cheesy

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #24 - 04/02/09 at 17:17:06

Don, thanks for the suggestion.  I have the ZCD parked.  It really causes me such a tizzy.  I think I listen to too many "bad recordings" to really use the ZCD. It's pretty damned revealing and it reveals them in their "badness."  I'm really happy with the new Sony SACD player and will probably stick with that. . . When I get my new Radials later in the month or so I'll probably use all my source components and decide on one.  I'll probably be selling the ZCD unless it really shines when I do put it in again.  It really was driving me crazy, and I look at it now and wince!

IP Logged
ZENCDUSER

Reply #25 - 08/04/09 at 23:06:01

Does anyone else have any impressions or reviews of the ZCD that they've sent back for the variable voltage and/or tube regulation option?  I bought mine almost a year go with only the IEC option (only one available at the time)

IP Logged
ZENCDUSER

Reply #26 - 08/08/09 at 03:07:43

Hmmm.. Anyone? Smiley

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #27 - 08/08/09 at 16:03:00

I've had all the mods done to my ZCD. The modifications do make a differrence. A positive difference.  Using a very good power cord also is a plus that mod allows.

Ultimately I prefer another player, my Sony ES Series SACD player.

IP Logged
ZENCDUSER

Reply #28 - 08/09/09 at 01:16:15

Thanks Lon!  I knew you had the modifications performed, and was aware of your efforts to make the ZCD integrate to your liking.  I had the iec option from purchase, having found out about the differences power cords can make to a component.  I took my ZCD out of the system while contemplating sending in back for the regualtion and voltage output mods and, after putting my 10 year Jolida 601 in the system, realized that I needed the mods more than I thought!  While I was leaning more to the tube regulation, the "ease" I felt with the Jolida (albeit with some veiling and less pronounced soundtaging) probably is more a result of the standard 2 volt output, as opposed to the original ZCD's fixed 5 volt output.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #29 - 10/09/09 at 16:27:56

Well, after nearly six months of just burning in in another room, I put the ZCD back in the system last night.

The "seasoning" certainly helped.

It now has the dynamism that I love about the Sony player and the tonal balance (if I back the output of this player way down) is pretty good. . . but still bright and forward for my tastes.

I'd say it is nearly the equal of the Sony player in all ways but the treble and the forwardness of the presentation.  The Sony is the best machine I've ever had, and cost more than the fully-modified ZCD, so it's no shame. I'm going to try to keep it in for a while and see if I can get used to it. . . I miss the Sony a little bit.  Especially because it plays SACD and sounds so wonderful with that format.

« Last Edit: 10/09/09 at 16:28:49 by Lon »  

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print