Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
10/30/14 at 15:01:15

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
DEC 685 distortion issue (Read 4712 times)
jeromesabbagh
Verified Member

DEC 685 distortion issue
06/27/08 at 23:06:22

Hi,

I am a new member to this forum and I just bought a used DEC 685 CD player. No matter what 12au7 I use, I seem to get distortion very quickly once I turn the volume up. I have a Fisher X-100-3 EL84 integrated amp. I haven't had any issues with any other CD player.

Is is possible that the high ouput of the modded output of the DEC 685 is doing this? The stock output doesn't distort. If yes, can I get the output to be lower? Is this player finicky with tubes? I also can't be sure that the tubes are OK...

Also, I am wondering if there is something wrong with the player period.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks a lot!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Re: DEC 685 distortion issue
Reply #1 - 06/29/08 at 12:06:44

Hi Jerome,

Sorry to hear that you are having this problem.  If all is working well I don't believe you SHOULD be receiving this distortion with 12AU7 tubes. . . providing of course that they are working properly (and if you've tried several odds are it may not be the tubes).

I think your best recourse (quickest at least) would be to give Steve a call, or email him directly from the main website (call would be answered quickest).  No offense meant to others here, but his advice is worth the MOST regarding this machine.

Although I am not currently using the DEC685 in my main system (I'm using Sony's flagship Blu-Ray player instead while waiting for delivery of a ZCD player) I used one for years and with no problems. . . .

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DVD-A1UDCI, Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Stradivarius, Ultra Linear+Evo ICs, Iso-Pods,Mapleshade:Double Heiix Plus,Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
jeromesabbagh
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 06/29/08 at 15:12:24

Hi Lon,

Thanks for your advice. I did email Steve and will see what he says. Also, it turns out I now have more information. I tried the CD player into a Yamaha solid state receiver and got no distortion whatsoever, so I am sure that the CD player and tube are fine. My Fisher amp is fine, too, it doesn't distort with my other CD player, a Njoe Tjoeb. It has to be some kind of gain mismatch between the DEC 685 and the Fisher. Hopefully, that can be foxed somehow.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #3 - 06/29/08 at 20:01:39

Wow, that's interesting!

I bet that Steve will have a "fix." I can understand full well wanting those two fine components to match up just right! Smiley

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DVD-A1UDCI, Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Stradivarius, Ultra Linear+Evo ICs, Iso-Pods,Mapleshade:Double Heiix Plus,Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #4 - 06/30/08 at 03:39:21

It sounds like the 5 volts output is just way too much for the fisher, as I imagine the fisher would like to see around 1 volt max.

You can send it to me and I can make the output level whatever you'd like.  

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print