Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Decware power cords
06/15/08 at 14:46:07

Well, I'm just a few days into the use of two of the Decware Power Cords, one each on my ZBox and my CSP2.

I don't believe they've finished their breakin period yet so I probably should not even be talking about their "sound."  They've replaced PS Audio "Prelude" cables of which I was very fond, my only complaint being that they were hard to "fit" snugly in the IEC housings. Well, the Decware cords present the same problems!

These cords at this time present a warm and open sound from the unit.  Different than the PS Audio sound which is a bit darker in presentation.  I hope the Decware will darken a bit, or warm up a bit, hard to describe, and I think they will.  There may be a smidgeon more dynamics in the system now with these in place; hard to quantify at this point.  Very very well made and attractive cords.  

I'd be interested in hearing comments from other users.  Thanks.

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DVD-A1UDCI, Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Stradivarius, Ultra Linear+Evo ICs, Iso-Pods,Mapleshade:Double Heiix Plus,Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Re: Decware power cords
Reply #1 - 06/17/08 at 13:08:59

Lon,

I wouldn't say they darken, but they do mellow over time.  I've had my power cables since Decfest '07 and haven't looked back.  And me not believing power cords could make that much difference. I have my power cords attached, so to speak, to the back of the furniture where the amps/pre-amps reside, and I wanted to put the Taboo and the CSP2 next to each other and was to lazy to un-attach the cable, so I used one of the stock cables for the CSP2, I couldn't get it to sound just right, then I remembered the power cords, it took an hour or so to get the other cord over to the CSP2 but it was worth it. You never know how good it is, until its taken away.

BZ

All Decware amps and sources, Turning Point Audio speakers
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #2 - 06/18/08 at 02:27:25

That's the truth Bob, we really do see how an item affects the sysem when it's removed.

It's been a few days now and the system sounds nice with these power cords, a bit different than the PS Audio ones (which I am very happy with) but not fundamentally so.  If they mellow more (I think they've mellowed a bit so far) they'll be great and will reside permanently!

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DVD-A1UDCI, Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Stradivarius, Ultra Linear+Evo ICs, Iso-Pods,Mapleshade:Double Heiix Plus,Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
Stone Deaf
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 02/14/09 at 15:35:01

I am using the PS Audio Prelude power cords on my Taboo, CSP2 and ZP3 they look like big siphon hoses sticking up from behind the transformers. Are the Decware power cords more limber? It has been an interesting journey getting all the cords and interconnects routed just right so everything sounds good and the whole thing doesn't look like a bad science project. Everyone that sees my system takes a moment like they are in total shock.

My system: Decware Taboo, CSP2, ZP3, Pro-Ject RM 10 / Grado Reference Sonata, Adcom 700, ERR Radials, Lots of Mapleshade, Kimber and Herbie's stuff.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #4 - 02/14/09 at 17:20:47

R,

Yes, they are much more limber and therefore easier to place and use. They also sound excellent.  After a few weeks they mellow into a great and accurate sound, so to speak.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #5 - 04/27/10 at 18:34:59

I recently ordered another Decware power cord.  These cords are excellent.  I hope to use the new cord for the ZDAC-1.

I did "shoot-outs" between these cables and the PS Audio and a Tara Labs power cord that I have. Though the other cords are very good I admit I prefer the Decware, even over a PS Audio Xstream Statement that I have. For a long time I was using that for my amps (Integrated, Torii Mark II and Mark III). But I clearly preferred the sound of the Decware cord with the Mark III. Warmer, a bit more dynamic.

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 05/06/11 at 23:41:19

Glomming on to your old thread here Lon. I admit to being a curmudgeon about the whole power cord megabuxx trend. But with the increasing resolution of my headphone rigs, I began to be able to hear differences among cables, and not just ICs. My first improvement was to buy Iron Lung Jellyfish for all my components, and they did make a difference, one most easily discerned on sustained piano notes. I have not done a shoot-out of the quality Lon describes, because I had not bought power cables in the higher ranges. But the Decware power cords have proved worth it to me to step up. My second one—for the ZSTAGE—shipped today, along with the ICs for the same box, and you can bet my Ultra and Torii amps will have the same power cords and ICs.

Decware: Ultra | Torii MKIII [2] | SE84ZS | Taboo MkIII Sources: Synology 1812+ | Baetis Revolution | PWD DAC MKII | Lumin Network Player | Mytek 192 | Oppo 105 DSP: DEQX Mate | Emotiva Outputs: ERR [6] + Servo Subs | LCD-2 & other cans
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #7 - 05/07/11 at 12:57:56

Hey Pale Rider,

Glad you experimented and found that the Decware cords are a real bargain and work so so well with Decware components. I need to buy a few more in time for my second system which is mostly PS Audio and TARA Labs cords, with an Audioquest "8" connector cord as well.

I did get offered for an incredible deal an older version of the top of the line PS Audio "AC" cords and that one sounds incredible on my Torii Mk III, better than any other cord. And I tried a My Audio Cable Digital cable on my Sony SACD-XA5400ES and it's stayed there; it seems very much like a Decware cord. My CSP2 is run by the above-mentioned PS Audio XStream Statement because I think it edges out a Decware cord there, and all other components are run on Decware cords except the DVR which has a captive cord, and I don't own it so I haven't spliced in an EIC connection.

The combination is part of what makes my system what it is. And I love the sound!  FIfteen years ago I would have laughed at the idea that a power cord makes a difference, but I've had a lot of good laughs at my audio obsession and all the paths it's taken since then!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #8 - 05/07/11 at 13:01:59

And yes, the Decware interconnects. I've twice before I bought my first sets of these paid twice as much for other interconnects. . .and they're good, and they're in my second system now. Nothing has bested the Decware interconnects for components (Decware and non-Decware) for me so far, and I don't think I'll continue trying to find one that does! The only one that comes close is a silver Audioquest that I bought heavily discounted that is 2 meters long that I was using for my DVR before I bought the ZDAC-1 and went that route for DVR sound. It's almost as good as the Decware, being perhaps a bit less refined and a bit warmer, a really good fit for a component in my second system. But it was originally three times the cost of a Decware cable! (I got it very very cheap).

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 05/07/11 at 14:36:51

Quote:
The combination is part of what makes my system what it is. And I love the sound!  FIfteen years ago I would have laughed at the idea that a power cord makes a difference, but I've had a lot of good laughs at my audio obsession and all the paths it's taken since then!

Indeed, same here. It's a great combo of the rational and the inexplicable. BTW, if the Decware ICs are in your second system, the Audioquest are in your first? Grover Huffman built me a wonderful set of balanced ICs when I was running my Apache. But when I switched to the Taboo, I needed something different. The Decware ICs have been marvelous. Can't wait for the second pair to arrive.

Decware: Ultra | Torii MKIII [2] | SE84ZS | Taboo MkIII Sources: Synology 1812+ | Baetis Revolution | PWD DAC MKII | Lumin Network Player | Mytek 192 | Oppo 105 DSP: DEQX Mate | Emotiva Outputs: ERR [6] + Servo Subs | LCD-2 & other cans
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #10 - 05/07/11 at 14:48:03

Sorry if I wasn't clear. All the ICs in my main system are Decware; the ones I had previously, that cost twice as much, were moved to my seconc system as I bought Decware ones. Although they do take time to burn in, I've not found any that work better in the system than the Decware ones, and I've stopped looking.

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 05/07/11 at 17:17:44

Understood. I misread. Am in agreement, too. I am not looking anymore.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print