Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Re: ZCD impressions
Reply #15 - 06/06/08 at 21:14:42

Okay, just a quick update.

This Blu-Ray flagship is an awesome machine.  The dvd picture is almost as good if not as good as the Blu-Ray picture.  (Just as in the DEC685 cd sound was so good that SACD sound was not a big deal).

The sound has bloomed and it's very very good.  The tonality is spot on.  The soundstaging is not up to the DEC685.  I mean. . . how could it be. That's what Steve brings in his inimitable way to the game.  It's 90% of the way there maybe.  I think I can live with it, I'm already not doing "comparisons" in my head but just enjoying the music.

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,
PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
Doorman
Seasoned Member

"pouring from
the empty into the
void"

Reply #16 - 06/07/08 at 00:08:04

One of the (many) strengths of the ZCD is it's soundstaging. It's simply as good as I've heard. It's a perfect compliment to my (any?) Decware amp(s) They ability to project an image both side to side, and front to back is amazing. The quality and quantity of the bass output is also very noticeable. I've no idea why this is so, but there it is! To this point, I prefer it with the "esp" disabled, and it sounds so good overall, I've not tried the stock outputs,,to compare. Still settling in, more to come.
Don

Decware SE34I w/ CCE mod, ZCD, Heybrook/Linn/Clearaudio, Hagerman,
Goertz/Wireworld/cat-5/MarkAudio Alpair 10.2 drivers
(eN) in DIY Mar-Ken cabs
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #17 - 06/09/08 at 15:31:13

Okay guys. . . I'm more flush than I ever have been in my life, and there's no reason for me NOT to also have a ZCD player. . . so I ordered one (and Steve's interconnects and power cable for it) today.

Thanks for pushing me over the edge into reckless expenditure territory!

:D

PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
ZENCDUSER

Reply #18 - 06/10/08 at 05:01:18

Follow-up impressions.
I've had the ZCD for just over a month now, and have close to 200 hours (with about 100 hours from the Isotek breakin CD).  The unit is stunning! Clarity, soundstaging (particularly depth in the soundstage), and tone have prompted me to make additional CD purchases.  That's what it is all about.  Also, and I hate to use the phrase, but I am re-discovering my current music; In many cases I'm in the studio with the performers!  People moving in seats in anticipation, sheets moving, slight taps on furniture...and then there is the music itself.   I've never been happier.  The ZCD has unleashed my system to myself.   Several days ago I pulled out an old Decware DSR cable I purchased in 2003, but hadnt used in years.  Aside from a slight reduction in bass, the music became even more real, and the soundstage blossomed.  This from a cable that I had grown not to like.  I then had the opportunity to insert a friend's MAC Palladium cable to the ZCD...and I immediately ordered one ($180 new versus the regular $349 price....I think a new model is coming out)   Forget about what you hear about silver cables being strident, harsh, etc....this cable and the ZCD has all the richness, warmth and harmonics I remember from previous gear (CJ, Spendor), yet with speed, clarity and openess that leaves me smiling and speechless.  I previoulsy mentioned I purchased jazz on CDs only after I couldnt find affordable LPs.   Now it doesnt matter.  CDs of recordings made from the 50's and 60's are now satisfying,both my newly purchased ones and older ones.  Thats what I have re-discovered.
Two things I've noted about my ZCD.  The Mullard CV4003 (12AU7) works perfectly for me.  Since I had two for the Jolida, I'm set for many years (I think they were $40 each from Upscale Audio, but many other outlets have them). Secondly, I still prefer leaving the ESP off..it just does something that I really cant point my finger on. At first I thought it was just reducing the soundstaging and clarity, but It is something I feel, not just hear.  Might be irrational, but hey!  One additional thing...the Isotek disc is an outstanding investment.  It quickly shows what your equipment can do by greatly reducing that "Did I make a mistake" breakin time frame that music alone just didnt do quick enough for me.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #19 - 06/10/08 at 12:11:32

Thanks so much for your input and impressions!  As a jazz listener they especially seem relevant for me and my system!

IP Logged
Doorman
Seasoned Member

"pouring from
the empty into the
void"

Reply #20 - 06/11/08 at 03:16:41

Congrats, Lon on ordering a ZCD! Be sure and post your impressions vis a vis your 685!
Don

(eN) in DIY Mar-Ken cabs
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #21 - 06/11/08 at 14:39:47

Will do.  I have been wondering why I did so though. . . as this Sony Blu-Ray player sounds better every day!  :)

IP Logged
Doorman
Seasoned Member

"pouring from
the empty into the
void"

Reply #22 - 06/12/08 at 00:11:32

Decware's 30 day return policy makes it a no-brainer, though. And who knows, you might decide to keep it!
Don

(eN) in DIY Mar-Ken cabs
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #23 - 06/12/08 at 12:02:44

Oh, i expect to keep it.

:)

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #24 - 07/04/08 at 12:37:16

Well, for like the fourth time in a row with important shipments, UPS has let me down.  I'm going to ask DeVon to use another shipment method next time I buy a Decware machine.

UPS called and said be around 7 to 7 because the package was coming yesterday.  I was housebound that entire time.  Nothing.  The tracking showed it was in Austin and out for delivery.  It just is so frustrating and disappointing.  Now I have to do the very same thing on Monday.  I'm so disgusted with UPS right now.

So hopefully I'll have some impressions to relate sometime next week.

IP Logged
Randy in Caintuck
Seasoned Member

Tube be ... or not
tube be ... it's a
no-brainer.

Reply #25 - 07/05/08 at 00:36:43

Hi Lon,

Man ..... that's a bummer.  I'm not too crazy about UPS either, but this time they finally did something right for me.  While I was on vacation, my daughter was house sitting for me and took delivery of the ZCD.

I set it up last night and have had it playing non-stop to get a few hours on it with an Amperex Bugle Boy 12AU7.  It is plugged into one set of inputs of the CSP2 while the other set of inputs is hosting a ModWright prepped CEC TL-2 belt drive transport, a Genesis Digital Lens and a Channel Islands VDA•2 DAC and VAC•1 power supply ..... connected by Stereovox XV2 digital cables.

I did a very brief A/B of the same disk tonight and the ZCD gave a very good accounting of itself ..... especially considering that it has NO burn in time under its belt.  The one thing I can say is that the presentation is totally different than what I am hearing from the other rig.  This will be very interesting.  The other front end has a retail cost of almost $6000.00 ..... but the ZCD is holding its head up with the best yet to come .....  8-)

It seems that this is just one more example of high quality sound from Decware for the "sincere but broke" music lover.

Best wishes,

Randy

« Last Edit: 07/05/08 at 06:16:55 by Randy in Caintuck »  

CEC TL-2 belt drive CD transport
Camelot Uther / Anagram DAC
Decware Model SE84C+ amplifier
Greenvalve Audio Type 10 amplifier
Parker Audio Troll Magnus speakers
"Mini Me" OBs - with Hawthorne Augies, Wild Burro Betsy drivers and Heil AMTs
WWW   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #26 - 07/05/08 at 01:20:31

Hi Randy,

Glad your machine is in place, and thanks for the initial impressions.

For three weeks or so I've been listening to Sony's flagship Blu-Ray player as a source and it has turned out to be quite a nice cd source (and an incredible dvd and Blu-Ray source, fantastic pictures!)  It compares tonally to the DEC685 very very well, being perhaps a bit warmer and a bit more dynamic, though it lacks that last bit of three dimensionality that Steve's output stage provides. So it will be interesting indeed to see how the ZCD fares!

I am nearly 99% certain it's going to gently nudge the Sony ES player out of the way for cd playback.  ;)

Please keep us informed with further listening impressions (and I know you will!)

IP Logged
Doorman
Seasoned Member

"pouring from
the empty into the
void"

Reply #27 - 07/05/08 at 02:58:21

Lon: Can you say loooong weekend??!
Usually, one isn't in a huge hurry for the week to begin! My ZCD now has a few hundred hours on it, and a soundstage you could easily walk into has developed. On a Dexter Gordon "Ballads" cut, I swear you can hear  moisture rattling around in his sax! Far and away the most satisfying cdp I've had, though I admit to not having owned  digital gear like Randy's
Keep us posted--
Don

« Last Edit: 07/05/08 at 03:02:42 by Doorman »  

(eN) in DIY Mar-Ken cabs
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #28 - 07/05/08 at 03:18:23

Yes, a looooong holiday weekend.  Although other than the arrival of the player one day is pretty much the same as another in important ways since I've retired May 1!  I can wait for the player. . . what bothers me is being tethered to the house an additional day.  One day is bad enough. . . now another day.  (I've developed a habit of getting the Harley out early in the morning and being away from home for some hours!) As this is part of a continuing problem I've had with UPS for a time it's very frustrating.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #29 - 07/08/08 at 11:22:40

Well, absolutely no action from UPS yesterday.

Today they say it's out for delivery.

We'll see. . . .

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 8
Send Topic Print