Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
10/02/14 at 13:28:51

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
NEW TORII Mk II - Sneak Preview (Read 14438 times)
Nievate
Ex Member

Re: NEW TORII Mk II - Sneak Preview
Reply #15 - 08/23/05 at 17:41:26

Would you take two well behaved Dachshunds for part payment?

IP Logged
DeVon Deckert
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 08/23/05 at 18:02:41

Sorry Dennis.  As much of a dog lover as I am.  I already have 2 Basset Hounds that eat everything in sight.  :)

IP Logged
Yo-Han
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 08/23/05 at 18:38:09

i heard poeple talking about sellin' an arm or a leg for an amp(as a matter of speaking)..never a pair of dogs doh LOL  ;)

2500$ ain't easey for me too to cough up,even here in social securety wonderland Belgium .. if this amp delivers what Steves promisese:nudity,the music doh Cheesy , and ease of drive..it can shure be worth it ...you'll find a lot of other pp tube amps for that money..BUT dual mono??? and build with such care?

again looks like build to last a century..nice looking amp..if i only could get into a jet, and hear it  ;)

PS i know 2 diy'ers in Belgium who offer simular amps or designs and their price is, or would be about the same with those certain  hi demands of musical fidelity...one is slightly cheaper ,but so is his housing..but none build em with the rigidety of decware gear,easy to see

IP Logged
Nievate
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 08/23/05 at 18:59:30

I sure hope no one thought my "tongue in cheek" comment about DeVon was serious.  She is a gem for sure.

As to the dogs, all three of us would be heart broken if we were split up.

Now, if I could find someone who had their heart set on a Jolida amp...........

dennis

IP Logged
Corey
Ex Member

Reply #19 - 08/23/05 at 19:05:43

Shoot! I just can't swing 2 grand right now.

Homey,

1/2 pound of raw oysters for 4 days and raw eggs will put your testosterone at the level where you react like me to this amp.

Cor

IP Logged
selmerdave
Ex Member

Reply #20 - 08/23/05 at 19:08:04

[quote author=troutsnook  link=1124759053/0#14 date=1124815216]I read the white paper and with everything that goes into this amp, $2500 bucks is cheap.  I challange anyone to come up with a choke and tube regulated power supply with a price tag anywhere close to this.  I like to save money like the next guy, but this product is already cheap for what is included.  I would have to hear it to make a final judgement, but if it is as good as advertised it would be a steal at the price. [/quote]

Bob, I'm not criticizing the price at all, it seems fair to me.  Yes you are paying a good chunk for cosmetics, but I think that 99 out of 100 people would rather pay for cosmetics with something in that price bracket.  I've got no problem with that.  I'm just saying that there are really a LOT of amps putting out similar power with similar high-quality parts for similar money.  That is a market that Decware was not previously in, even with the Signature Monos.  I think it was much easier to stick out as a company that embarassed all of those by offering comparable performance for a small price.  

Dave

IP Logged
Corey
Ex Member

Reply #21 - 08/23/05 at 19:15:50

Dave,

I don't understand your post. You speak like Decware now only sells this amp. Last time I checked they sold:

- 2 watts SET
- 6 watts SET
- 6 watts SEP
- 25 watts PPP

Take care,

Corey

IP Logged
selmerdave
Ex Member

Reply #22 - 08/23/05 at 19:27:12

Yes Corey, I guess given the ideals outlined in his (older) white papers I am surprised that a 25w push-pull amplifier is the "flagship" of the line, and it makes me wonder what's in the future.  I hope there will be more products that do more with less.  Don't get me wrong, I think Decware is a great company and if I was in the market for such an amp this might be the one I would get, I just don't want him to forget the old ideals.

Dave

IP Logged
Corey
Ex Member

Reply #23 - 08/23/05 at 19:38:31

Dave,

The future is lots of 2 watt, 6 watt and 25 watt sales.  ;)

Corey

IP Logged
Pyewacket
Ex Member

Reply #24 - 08/23/05 at 20:44:37

Man, the Monte's not ready for sale yet and I've been spending mad money on the house getting it ready to sell.  Would love to get in on the discount but it just don't look like that's going to happen just now.   Angry

Regardless, one of those will be mine by yearend!!

Cheesy

IP Logged
60ndown
Ex Member

Reply #25 - 08/23/05 at 21:40:42

[quote author=selmerdave  link=1124759053/15#22 date=1124821632]Yes Corey, I guess given the ideals outlined in his (older) white papers I am surprised that a 25w push-pull amplifier is the "flagship" of the line, and it makes me wonder what's in the future.  I hope there will be more products that do more with less.  Don't get me wrong, I think Decware is a great company and if I was in the market for such an amp this might be the one I would get, I just don't want him to forget the old ideals.

Dave [/quote]

im curious dave, what kind of amp / product do you think would have been a good addition to the dec line in plae of this amp? and dont be vague, speify amp, dac, speaker, something?

IP Logged
hurdy_gurdyman
Ex Member

Reply #26 - 08/23/05 at 21:52:31

As far as trading in the pet dog goes, some might think I'm crazy, but I wouldn't trade my husky in for ANY amp ever made (or any other material thing.) Some things in life are just more important than new toys.

Dave Cheesy

IP Logged
J_Rock
Ex Member

Reply #27 - 08/23/05 at 22:01:11

Are there any left for 1999.95?

Also, I think you guys should all ease off, for one, Dave just stated an opinion and people are getting mad at him.  

Secondly, Steve has his own goals I am sure, and none of us know them.  Whos to say this is all there is going to be? Perhaps Steve just made this amp for the power and marketshare it can now provide.  Perhaps now he will focus on making the most with the least possible.

« Last Edit: 08/23/05 at 22:05:20 by j_rock777 »  
  IP Logged
selmerdave
Ex Member

Reply #28 - 08/23/05 at 22:30:40

[quote author=60ndown  link=1124759053/15#25 date=1124829642]im curious dave, what kind of amp / product do you think would have been a good addition to the dec line in plae of this amp? and dont be vague, speify amp, dac, speaker, something? [/quote]

I suppose a more bare-bones version of the same thing, same tube compliment and general design but without the cost-no-object approaches like the paralleled coupling caps.  Maybe a single power supply since there's so much iron involved and a more basic chassis.  Closer to the point of maximizing the point of diminishing returns.  Something that would satisfy the needs of those with less efficient speakers for considerably less than the price of the usual 25w PP amp out there.  But hey, it's not my company and maybe that would be a really stupid idea, no doubt Steve considered that along the way to arriving at this amp.  Again I'm just hoping he continues to offer products to those of us looking to maximize the dollar.

Dave

IP Logged
WEEZ
Ex Member

Reply #29 - 08/23/05 at 22:48:47

It is clear that a lot of design work and thought went into the new amplifier.

I don't see the $2500 price as too high at all. (the introductory price of $2000 is a deal in today's market, IMHO).

Has anyone priced other hand built works like this for less?

Have a look at Convergent, Joule Electra, or Berning and then re-think the price of the TOR11 MK11. Or Audio Research- or even Conrad Johnson, Cary, or Unison.

Those of you who have 95- 100db speakers may not be interested- and that's cool. But for folks who have 87- 90db speakers could use a little 'Zen' in their systems too.  :)

( By the way, I think it looks like a work of art- even without the naked lady )

WEEZ Grin

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print