Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
09/02/14 at 18:09:24

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
NEW TORII Mk II - Sneak Preview (Read 14093 times)
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

NEW TORII Mk II - Sneak Preview
08/23/05 at 01:04:13

We are now ready to start producing the new TORII mk II.

The price is $2495.00 with tubes and lifetime warranty and 30 day money back guarentee.

Since I started indicating I would be doing this amp over 10 months ago many people have expressed the kind of interest that goes like this:  "I'll buy one - regardless of what it turns out to be."  Well, I didn't keep a list of these people so I'm hoping they were mostly from these forums.  I know there were at least 10, and I know I mentioned we were shooting for a price point of $1995.00.  We didn't make that price point, but you have to trust me when I tell you the additional $500.00 improved the amp so much it that it was worth it several times over.  Nevertheless we have decided to offer the first 10 amplifiers to forum members at $1995.00.  I still have 7 left at the time of this posting.

I am making this offer before I put link the amps web pages to the site.  That means you also get a sneak preview before it goes public.  

Here is the link to the new TORII Mk II

http://decware.com/newsite/TORII.htm

This amplifier will be demonstrated at this years Decfest.

Turn around on this first 10 amps will be 4 to 6 weeks from time of order.

Thanks,

Steve Deckert

WWW   IP Logged
brettjm
Ex Member

Re: NEW TORII Mk II - Sneak Preview
Reply #1 - 08/23/05 at 04:08:19

This is absolutely beautiful.

IP Logged
Corey
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 08/23/05 at 04:28:48

Questions:

- How much power does this amp draw?  

- Which sounds better with the new tone control, the HDT MK I or MK II on this amp?

- If the HDT MK II sounds better can the MK I be modified into an MK II be myself.

Take care,

Corey

p.s. Is it just me or does anybody else have a hard on from this amp?

IP Logged
homeyhomes
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 08/23/05 at 05:10:01

I dont know about a hardon but I do believe my
testosterone reserves elevated as I was drooling
over the photos.  I definitely prefer all the cable
connections on the upper part of the chassis versus
at the back.  I also like the sleek low profile chassis
with those curvaseous curves.  & the lucious glass
bottles glowing with passion as the temperature
rises, exciting the electrons into a frenzy as the woofers
downstream pulsate in and out, in and out, in and out, in and out...then all of a sudden it happens....there's a ringing sound.
.....it's the telephone.....& the neighbors are telling you to
turn the fricken volume down!!!

IP Logged
60ndown
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 08/23/05 at 05:15:41

'sexy' pics this time, sexy and classy Grin sexy Grin
a good thing about not being rich is that i cant have everything i want, and therefore my life is full of excitement and antisipation, i;ll have to wait to own one of these....one day i will, and im happy to wait Wink

« Last Edit: 08/23/05 at 05:21:40 by 60ndown »  
  IP Logged
Glen_B
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 08/23/05 at 11:37:05

BRING     THE    NEKKED    TUBE   GIRL    BACK....................................................PLEASE Smiley

« Last Edit: 08/23/05 at 12:43:21 by Glen_B »  
  IP Logged
morrisvet2003
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 08/23/05 at 11:50:15

Very nice, but a bit expensive to me  >:(

Regards
filippo

IP Logged
Nievate
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 08/23/05 at 12:55:06

The price of this new rascal could be covered with the sale of some of those treasures your holding on to.

My problem is that I have such a hard time parting with anything.  Even if it don't work I think I'll get it fixed at some point.  The term "Pack Rat" comes to mind.

Might be that I need a good talking to by Alf.

dennis (has wood)

IP Logged
Pyewacket
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 08/23/05 at 14:59:07

THAT is going to be my first tube amp...

I have looked at, lusted after and coveted a bunch of really cool stuff on the net over the last couple of years and to be honest the Torii I almost did it, but this... It's over.

Done like a biscuit.

Cheesy  ;D  :D  ;D  :D  ;D

IP Logged
selmerdave
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 08/23/05 at 16:10:14

I have to say that I'm a little disappointed with this as the new Decware direction.  I don't mean to rain on the parade, I'm sure it sounds amazing, but it sure is a step toward every other audio manufacturer out there.  I mean, how many SET's are there out there for under $1k?  A couple.  How many higher powered amps are there for above $2k?  Many.  What's the difference?  I'm not quite sure.  Of course with Decware you're getting point-to-point wiring and it's not made in China, which means a lot to me, but really there are several other manufacturers that could say the same thing.  And for $2k + I'm sure they all sound good as they should.  Does this amp sound that much better than an Aronov?  I know Steve is going for the top but everybody is claiming to do that, so it's a matter of how much money you have and who you believe.  It's a much different thing to offer stuff that is at least 90% of the top at 10% of the price.  Of course the Zen amps and to a certain extent the Taboo do that, but I hope that will continue to be the direction of Decware, as that is truly an outstanding feat that sets it apart from other manufacturers.  Of course it's just my taste but I enjoyed how good an amp could sound with the $.03 Tracons as opposed to spending $15 on Auricaps for the last 1% of sound.  At least as a philosophy and a general approach to the amp as admittedly I went in and ripped out the Tracons for Jensens.;)

Anyhow, I wish Steve all the best with this amp but I hope he'll continue to embarass the higher priced stuff with budget products that get you 90% (or more) of the way there.

Dave

IP Logged
homeyhomes
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 08/23/05 at 16:37:19

I dont think Steve is changing directions here.
I think He just wants to have something for all
those low efficiency speakers that are out there.

although It does look as though some of that money
went for looks rather than sound. for instance the
lazer engraving & custom lighting effects & the more
sculptured chassis.  But If someone is going to spend
well over 2K for a piece of gear,  they are probably going
to want it to at least look like it cost that much.

I don't think a white painted box like the original Zen amp
would be apropriate for the new Torii II Amp.
& I think if Steve really wanted, He could have took it much
further (Eye candy dept.)  than He did.

The price is not out of line for a nice 25watt PP amp.
and don't forget,  the SE83 sig mono's were just under
the price of the New Torii & sported under ten watts/p/ch.

IP Logged
Pyewacket
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 08/23/05 at 16:53:13

Dave, I don't think it's raining on any parade, it's just another direction.  I have lurked these boards for some time now and to be honest the whole set thing never got through to me.  Granted I have never listened to a set kit good or otherwise.  While that may sound incredibly ignorant, the reason I've always come back to this site is the passion that the owner and his clients have had for the equipment and the music.  

After two years plus wandering the net checking everything tube from the down right silly in extravagance to the Zen simplicity found right here I keep finding myself drawn to three sites that the owners have that passion and are willing to share that with their customers.  Decware being the first, there is a lad in Canada that builds amps and his company is called Ideal Innovations, and the third is an Aussy firm called Supratek.

I really do think there is a karma thing that goes along with this hobby though and for me it seems the strongest here and after sitting on the fence for so long that amp just has it for me.  Besides all that I actually can understand the way Steve explains things.  I think I've read every white paper he has written at least two or three times and I've built a couple of his sub designs and have been amazed at the results.

And the icing on the cake... He has a hot rod Monte.  My kinda guy.

IP Logged
DeVon Deckert
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 08/23/05 at 17:22:32

Just posting an update..........only 3 left at the $1995.00 price.  :D

IP Logged
Nievate
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 08/23/05 at 17:35:54

DeVon Deckert is a mean woman of the first order!  Being one who has been on the fence for a long time I just don't know what to do.

Talk about lighting a fire under my posterior!

MEAN WOMAN!!!!!

dennis

IP Logged
troutsnook
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 08/23/05 at 17:40:16

It always amazes me how cheap some folks in this hobby can be. Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry

I read the white paper and with everything that goes into this amp, $2500 bucks is cheap.  I challange anyone to come up with a choke and tube regulated power supply with a price tag anywhere close to this.  I like to save money like the next guy, but this product is already cheap for what is included.  I would have to hear it to make a final judgement, but if it is as good as advertised it would be a steal at the price.  ;D

I met Steve a couple of years ago at the Decware shop to listen to the Radials.  Steve agreed to open the shop on a Sunday afternoon - I was traveling to Milwaukee - and we spent 3 hours talking and listening.  Super nice and honest in my opinion - and has a good ear for music.  I have not purchased anything from Decware - yet - but I have confidence in his ears and the quality of his gear.  The forum is a great exchange for audio experiences.  The company does have to make a profit to stay in business, otherwise there won't be any Zen Taboo's to enjoy.  IF you are a DIY with access to all the parts and are handy with mechanical abilities and the patience to come up with a final circuit that works - maybe you could do it for less.  Maybe not, if you count the time spent doing it. Cry Cry

Sorry for the soapbox, but sometimes we lose sight of real value with the quest to get more for less.

Bob Tongue

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print