Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
SNEAK PEEK - ZPOD (Read 5785 times)
giorgino
Ex Member

Re: SNEAK PEEK - ZPOD
Reply #30 - 10/11/07 at 02:05:30

Steve Deckert wrote on 10/10/07 at 16:09:35:
So the question becomes do we add more parts to improve compatibility at the possible risk of changing the way it sounds... or not?   I'll keep working on it. I do like the idea of going to a 1/4 inch jack - for several reasons.

Thanks for the info Steve -

Any ideas why one set of headphones might oscillate and not another?

I think there is only so much you can do and compromise on to ensure compatibility. Surely that's what your money back if not satisfied guarantee is for. Personally, I'd prefer a higher quality and compromise compatibility (if that was the choice). A list of compatible headphones could then be posted on the info section of the online catalogue.

Yeah - I like the 1/4 jack if there is enough space (what about input?).

« Last Edit: 10/11/07 at 02:08:14 by giorgino »  
  IP Logged
60_and_up
Seasoned Member

kids should live.

Reply #31 - 10/11/07 at 02:49:20

if its designed as a portable unit id say most typical headphones likely to be used will have the smaller 1/8th jack?

stick with highest possible fidelity.and ignore the odd pair of phones that dont match.
.02 cents from me  :D

« Last Edit: 10/11/07 at 15:26:35 by 60_and_up »  

Peace hath higher tests of manhood than battle ever knew. ...
  IP Logged
morpheous85
Seasoned Member

Reply #32 - 10/17/07 at 05:10:26

I brought the Sennheiser HD-485. I would consider them entry high end level headphones. Interestingly enough, the high end and the cheapies worked the best.

I like the 1/4 in jack as basically all mid to high end headphones come with either a 1/4 plug, or a 1/8 to 1/4 adaptor.  If you're going to spend the time and money to get a product like this, you're probably buying headphones that come with said adaptors.  Additionally, 1/4 in jacks are much stronger and more reliable over time.

Giorgino, I honestly wasn't listening for the crossfeed.  I've become so used to my non imaging speakers and in the head sound with headphones that I simply didn't notice.  That's not to say it's unnoticeable, just that I wasn't paying attention.

While I was at Decfest, the thought never occured to me to try it with the CDPlayer.  ::) Oh well.

Jason

IP Logged
giorgino
Ex Member

Reply #33 - 10/18/07 at 13:16:21

Thanks for the info morpheous85. No worries about the crossfeed/listening via CDP. You guys had such a lot of toys and distractions. Smiley. I have the Senns HD650 (good) , PX200 (ok but not special), AKG 271 (very good) and soon RS1. Hopefully, one day Stax Omegas or Senn Orpheus will be in the collection. There's a lot to be said for headphone listening with no issues of cabinet sound, room acoustics. crossovers etc. I suspect that I'll eventually move fully into headphones. It's just that darned acoustic melon effect from headphones!

Since reading Steve's thread, I've been reading up on portable headphone amps and there's a world of the stuff out there. Crossfeed and non and some with sub-miniature tubes. All fun stuff!

I really should get out more...  [smiley=waaaht.png]

IP Logged
CRESCENDOPOWER
Verified Member

Re: SNEAK PEAK  ZPOD
Reply #34 - 10/19/07 at 00:18:45

Steve Deckert wrote on 09/06/07 at 15:30:47:
Not in the same league - no.   The CSP2 has no cross feed because frankly it doesn't seem to suffer from any of the things cross feed fixes.  I can't honestly explain why.  

Steve

Might have something to do with the dimensionality capabilities of OTL tube amplifiers, and using a load that actually works with them. Smiley

IP Logged
morpheous85
Seasoned Member

Reply #35 - 11/08/07 at 06:20:34

BUMP!    :)

Jason

IP Logged
slwiser
Verified Member

Reply #36 - 11/21/07 at 20:20:17

I am using a portable amp called the Xin Reference (beta version) and it has the quarter inch headphone jack.  This is really a nice feature and has a great feel to it.

Headphones: ATH-ANC7 and ESW9 and the Ultrasone Edition 9.
Headphone amps: Yamamoto HA-02, Berning micro-ZOTL and the Xin Reference (beta)
Sources:Lavry DA10, M-Audio USB Audiophile, HagUSB-XLR, Oppo HD891, iMod 5g, Squeezebox 3, Beresford TC-751
  IP Logged
johnny_boy
Verified Member

Reply #37 - 11/23/07 at 22:41:40

Has anyone tested this on a Shure SE530 (36 ohm)? So far Shure SE530 is my favorite travel phones with a MP3 player. I am really interested in buying something like this ZenPod, but I want to make sure it will work with my headphones (AKG K 701 seems to be already crossed out from the list. I also have Grado SR-60 and Grado SR-80. If those were tested as well, let me know).

I have a pair of SE530 and a Zune (has better sound than iPod), but I wanted to improve the sound of it and was looking for something like this. I tried out the HeadRoom Total BitHead and DIY CMoy pcoket amp. Neither of them which I was impressed with.

I thought about buying a CSP2 as a dedicated headphone amp for my office, using the computer/Zune as the source, but I think CSP2 does not like Shure SE530 or AKG K 701, and don't feel like forking up for a Senheiser HD650.

I am willing to be a beta tester. Smiley

« Last Edit: 11/23/07 at 22:48:57 by johnny_boy »  
  IP Logged
60_and_up
Seasoned Member

kids should live.

Reply #38 - 11/23/07 at 23:05:18

johnny_boy wrote on 11/23/07 at 22:41:40:
Has anyone tested this on a Shure SE530 (36 ohm)? So far Shure SE530 is my favorite travel phones with a MP3 player. I am really interested in buying something like this ZenPod, but I want to make sure it will work with my headphones (AKG K 701 seems to be already crossed out from the list. I also have Grado SR-60 and Grado SR-80. If those were tested as well, let me know).

I have a pair of SE530 and a Zune (has better sound than iPod), but I wanted to improve the sound of it and was looking for something like this. I tried out the HeadRoom Total BitHead and DIY CMoy pcoket amp. Neither of them which I was impressed with.

I thought about buying a CSP2 as a dedicated headphone amp for my office, using the computer/Zune as the source, but I think CSP2 does not like Shure SE530 or AKG K 701, and don't feel like forking up for a Senheiser HD650.

I am willing to be a beta tester. Smiley

i believe decware offers a 30 day money back guarentee.?

« Last Edit: 11/23/07 at 23:05:41 by 60_and_up »  

Peace hath higher tests of manhood than battle ever knew. ...
  IP Logged
slwiser
Verified Member

Reply #39 - 11/23/07 at 23:13:06

I am welling to be a beta tester as well.   Cheesy

Headphones: ATH-ANC7 and ESW9 and the Ultrasone Edition 9.
Headphone amps: Yamamoto HA-02, Berning micro-ZOTL and the Xin Reference (beta)
Sources:Lavry DA10, M-Audio USB Audiophile, HagUSB-XLR, Oppo HD891, iMod 5g, Squeezebox 3, Beresford TC-751
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print