Re: SNEAK PEAK  ZPOD
Reply #15 - 09/06/07 at 17:15:09

WOOT!

I'm interested!

WWW mulls@mac.com   IP Logged
Matthew

Re: SNEAK PEEK - ZPOD
Reply #16 - 09/08/07 at 09:01:41

I wondered how long it would take for this to come about.  :)  Although, I've never seen an OPA2132 that cost over $8 so I'm interested to see which version it ends up being.  Lots of film cap action going on?  I hope there are some nice, low-impedance lytics in the power stage of that baby.

Hey, I've always been interested in getting a headphone amplifier.  Of course, everyone clowns on my MDR-V700's, but anyway, I don't use a portable media player.  I just listen at my PC so I have no interest in battery power, or rather not soley battery power.  Are you going to have a version which I could plug into the wall and listen to at my desk?  Because I listen for hours at a time while doing whatever on my PC!

P.S.  Really, what sort of sound cards are you running in any of your given PC, Steve?  Have you tried outputting ASIO from any of them?  It's fantabulous in comparison to stock... and films help.

chickenkofta   IP Logged
giorgino
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 09/08/07 at 12:01:03

No doubt there'll be matching a silver litz interconnect. Looks great - I'm game...
Steve - What price bracket are we looking at for the Zen-Pod?

Now, for some recommendations for great sounding portable head/earphones... Smiley

« Last Edit: 09/08/07 at 12:03:18 by giorgino »  
  IP Logged
Jet-Lee
Seasoned Member

Reply #18 - 09/17/07 at 19:48:15

Steve Deckert wrote on 09/06/07 at 02:16:46:
Nothing worse then a total lack of imaging combined with super wide stereo effect that makes it sound like the music is playing inside your head.
Steve

That's what I look for, in headphones. I want the music to be inside my head, nowhere else. Not like it's coming from the computer or the person on the other side of the cubi, because it's not.

Personal preference, I guess.

I buy headphones that put the music, and stage, inside my head.

WWW e3_wizard jetleeamc   IP Logged
giorgino
Ex Member

Reply #19 - 09/17/07 at 22:45:05

Jet-Lee wrote on 09/17/07 at 19:48:15:
I buy headphones that put the music, and stage, inside my head.

Wow. It's great how we all have such different ideas of likes. Makes hifi very interesting and I guess that's why there are so many different products in the marketplace.

I hate that kind of "in the head music experience". It feels to me very claustrophobic and I feel like I've got a head-cold.

Any further thoughts as to the price point Steve?

IP Logged
Jet-Lee
Seasoned Member

Reply #20 - 09/18/07 at 16:53:02

giorgino wrote on 09/17/07 at 22:45:05:
Wow. It's great how we all have such different ideas of likes. Makes hifi very interesting and I guess that's why there are so many different products in the marketplace.

Unfortunately, those different likes are also what keep companies in business, especially the posers.

giorgino
Ex Member

Reply #21 - 09/19/07 at 01:19:11

Jet-Lee wrote on 09/18/07 at 16:53:02:
Unfortunately, those different likes are also what keep companies in business, especially the posers.

Are you serious in saying that people's different taste (likes) in hifi presentation is "unfortunate"? Are you therefore advocating a single way of presentation being the "right" one? Would be grateful if you can clarify what you mean.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #22 - 09/19/07 at 01:29:39

I think the perception of "inside your head" means different things to different people. It is a poor way to describe what sound we're talking about. From the one perspective it is of course all inside your head... however taking that perspective, it becomes about the sound stage that is inside your head. The sound we typically refer to as "inside your head" is really referring to a small center image that appears exactly between your ears in a tiny singular spot.  A highly unnatural experience. A very "closed in" sound might be another way to describe it, where instead we are trying to let the music open up and relax more. The point is whether you like the band playing inside your head or like to be transported to the venue could actually be the same thing. Either one demands a spacious sound with the proper ambiance to feel natural or believable not to mention non-fatiguing.

Steve

Price still pending.  It was not designed to be price competitive.  It was designed for the more serious audiophiles who don't want or need more inexpensive junk.

WWW   IP Logged
Jet-Lee
Seasoned Member

Reply #23 - 09/20/07 at 20:04:56

I gotcha, Steve. Thanks!

Giorgino...What I meant was exactly as it's said. Unfortunately, the reason some poser businesses are in business is due to opinion and not fact.

giorgino
Ex Member

Reply #24 - 09/28/07 at 12:56:27

giorgino wrote on 09/08/07 at 12:01:03:
Now, for some recommendations for great sounding portable head/earphones... Smiley

These guys (CrossRoads MylarOne X3) seem to have a big following and not expensive too. Anyone tried them?
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=241541&highlight=crossroads%22+ta...
I'll order a pair and report back -

Steve - how is that Z-POD getting along?

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #25 - 09/28/07 at 14:09:53

The ZPOD is coming along fine.  I plan to put it in production after the fest.  Look for it sometime in late October/November.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
giorgino
Ex Member

Reply #26 - 10/09/07 at 03:02:50

**BUMP** Any z-pod impressions from Decfest guys?

IP Logged
morpheous85
Seasoned Member

Reply #27 - 10/10/07 at 04:43:45

Of all the sets of headphones tested with it, the Zen Pod refused to drive mine!  I asked Steve about this and he was unsure.  He tested them with 10ohm and 250ohm headphones, driving both just fine. However, my 32ohm headphones clipped the output.  He's looking into it.  However, I don't want to make it sound like a failure, or a bad product. On Steve's 250 ohm headphones, the difference between the ipod directly and the Zen Pod was astonishing!  The Ipod just didn't have the juice to drive em.  Volume all the way up was acceptable, but bearly. With the Zpod, however, there was plenty of volume.  The bass changed as well.  It took on an effortless quality, sounding more natural and smooth with more headroom.  Even on my friend's Sennheiser PX100s, the bass improved considerably.  We tried close to 10 sets of headphones of varying impedences.  The 32ohm Grado's were driven wonderfully.

As far as basic functionality, I suggested he change the headphone output to 1/4" for duribility reasons.  The volume knob and power switch were the only other functions and both were easily accessable.  The box was larger than the nano, but not huge.  I believe the same battery was in the unit for the whole fest and every time I walked up to it, it was on.  Steve estimated around 40hrs per battery, and it seemed very possible.  Changing the battery was simple enough.  The power switch was a little difficult to turn off, especially if you have large fingers.  It'd probably just take some getting used to.

Jason

IP Logged
giorgino
Ex Member

Reply #28 - 10/10/07 at 12:03:10

Thanks for your thoughts Jason. That's the great thing about Decfest: people can test out new Decware kit and Steve can get initial feed back for further development before launch. The important thing is that the Z-Pod made a significant improvement to the sound coming from a stock ipod jack on most headphones. Was there a noticeable sonic difference between crossfeed and none? Or is it an effect that should be "invisible"

What headphones did you bring along? AKG K1000?  [smiley=43.gif]

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #29 - 10/10/07 at 16:09:35

That's the great thing about Decfest: people can test out new Decware kit and Steve can get initial feed back for further development before launch.

Indeed.

Here is the list so far re: headphones + ZPOD

Phones that it liked:

Grado RS1 / 32 ohm
AKG K27i / 35 ohm
SEN PX200 / 34 ohm
BOSE OE
SEN PMX100 / 34 ohm
MODA EAR BUDS / 15 ohm
BEYER DT770 / 250 ohm

Phones that it didn't like:

SEN HD485 / 32 ohm
AKG 701 / 60 ohm

Having had a few days to ponder it, I suspect these two phones are causing an oscillation.  

This is a rather high fidelity unit.  Had anyone listened to it on the tube output CD player vs the IPod,  I think they would have been amazed.   So the question becomes do we add more parts to improve compatibility at the possible risk of changing the way it sounds... or not?   I'll keep working on it.

I do like the idea of going to a 1/4 inch jack - for several reasons.  

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print