Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
10/23/14 at 11:24:54

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 
Send Topic Print
NEW DECWARE AMP at DECFEST2007 (Read 26722 times)
Dirty_Dawg
Seasoned Member

Only the music is
real.

Re: NEW DECWARE AMP at DECFEST2007
Reply #90 - 09/14/07 at 05:19:43

buzz wrote on 09/13/07 at 00:05:44:
It is an interesting phenomenon, no pain is involved, and no other warnings signs of too high of volume, just nausea. The incredible realistic bass is addictive so perhaps I am listening at too high a volume, but I don't think so. Yes, it does occur more often with music with electronic bass, but not exclusively. I knew I shouldn't have mentioned this.  ::) It makes no sense unless you have experienced it. Effects of frequencies as high as 100hz have been documented.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa3912/is_200702/ai_n18632410/pg_3

I don't think anyone is referring to infrasonics in reference to music, are they?

You should be safe from nausea at normal listening volumes, even if you are sensitive to higher bass frequencies.

« Last Edit: 09/14/07 at 05:21:06 by Dirty_Dawg »  

Anxiously watching as the whirling wind scoops up and hurls into oblivion the chalky white dust that was once the rank bones of my final oppressor, I relax finally, as I have survived again.
  IP Logged
Terry
Seasoned Member

Listen with your
Heart, not with your
ears!!

Reply #91 - 09/14/07 at 06:05:20

All I can say about this whole transformer thing is that I like what I hear, and have added subwoofers, biamped, super efficient large 30" woofers, and it just doesn't add much to the music for me.  I guess I just am not into bass that much, but I am still playing around.  Intraman on this forum was going to try an interesting infinite baffle subwoofer with the Select, haven't heard any resulting feedback yet.

I can't wait to hear them, I hope Steve has a regular Select handy to compare at the Zenfest.

TG

« Last Edit: 09/14/07 at 06:06:54 by Terry »  
WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #92 - 09/14/07 at 16:52:12

Corey wrote on 09/12/07 at 19:29:35:
Enter the next step into an SET amp: large iron. Is large iron a trade off in sound? Not if you go with the good stuff. The trade off is cost and space. You can't sell an amp to broke audiophiles using expensive iron and you can't tuck that iron inside your amp making everything look all clean, petite and pretty. Amen?

In my experience large iron favors bass performance at the expense of some magic in the upper ranges. This would hold true with any type of transformer regardless of cost. So I have to respectfully disagree with this statement.

Quote:
That leaves myself and the thousands of others owning full range cabinets with the option to spend more money and enjoy the attack and authority that only expensive, large wound transformers can produce. This means getting in touch with someone who CAN build you an exceptional sounding, one-off custom amp and it also means starting at around $2000. If I am going to be spending $2000 on amplification, I certainly am not going to limit my low end response with Decware iron. Scrabble wound, monopoly wound, call it what you like. The low end pressure is severely lacking compared to what's available.

Am I making many friends with this post? Most likely not. Am I against Decware? Not at all, but when I think of the name, I think of speakers.

Corey

Well I appreciate your enthusiasm for your findings but it is after all largely your opinion - results will vary for other people. Those with speakers that have real bass to begin with... and or those who would place more priority on the overall signature of an amp than visceral bass, for example.

In any case Decware is proudly known for it's amplifiers and will continue to be regardless of the fact that when you think of the name, you think of speakers.  You really have to wonder why a guy would make a statement like that in the very thread I used to announce our best SET amp ever...

Just out of curiosity I'd like to know why it was so important for you to get involved in this thread to begin with?  I'm sorry you tried to alter the design of your Decware SE34I and failed.  If you wanted that SET sound with superior bass performance you should have just got a TORII.  I don't care how much money you spend on iron for an SET, it will never have the bass performance of push-pull.  

For the record I know and like Eddy too.  I think his amps are great.  Hopefully I don't have customers over there in his forums trying to explain why Decware amps are so superior... that would be rather embarrassing.  Especially in a thread where he announces his latest new amplifier.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
musgofasa
Seasoned Member

Where is that
monkey? I want to
shoot something!

Reply #93 - 09/14/07 at 17:43:24

Hi Steve,

I was just telling Bob how sorry I am that I won't be able to come to Decfest with him. I would dearly love to hear these amps. It looks like budget may allow me to make a major audio purchase sometime near the end of the year so I am looking forward to hearing reviews before I make that move.

I have heard the TorII and I love the sound. I have also heard a SE34I.2 with some tube rolling and I have to admit, I was very taken with it as well. Add that to a Taboo, and an Eddie Vaughn amp and I have to admit, I like the Decware signature sound. Although each amp has it's own characteristics, they all seem to have something in common.

For the record, I am in the process of building several experiments. A couple of these include the Fostex FE126E drivers and there is a very distinct possibility that I will be building a set of corner horns and ordering your new drivers to put in them.

Considering those drivers and the fact that for general listening, I am not looking to make myself sick, do you think these amps would be a better choice than the TorII?

I will likely be running a seperate subwoofer for those times when I feel like pounding the walls, but generally, I will just be running the stereo pair of corner horns for listening enjoyment. I think the TorII may be overkill, but then I am thinking the same of the Monos to be honest. I was very seriously considering the SE34I.2 (the $1495 price tag is rather playing a part in that as well).

Just wondering if you thought the new amps would be more suitable, especially considering my tendency towards speaker swapping all the time. And the fact that my music tastes are rather eclectic.

Either way, these are super sexy and I can't wait to audition them somewhere, sometime!

Take care,
Robert

« Last Edit: 09/15/07 at 00:27:51 by musgofasa »  

The graveyard is full of important men
musgofasa   IP Logged
morpheous85
Seasoned Member

Reply #94 - 09/14/07 at 21:21:52

Now if only this thread http://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1189017032 got this much attention! I'm still very excited! What's the cost of the ZPOD Steve????

Jason

IP Logged
giorgino
Ex Member

Reply #95 - 09/15/07 at 12:03:24

Quote:
For the record I know and like Eddy too.  I think his amps are great.  Hopefully I don't have customers over there in his forums trying to explain why Decware amps are so superior... that would be rather embarrassing.  Especially in a thread where he announces his latest new amplifier.

I think Eddie would be just as embarrassed to learn that this level of evangelical zeal was being preached in his name. For what it's worth Steve, I'm sorry. Smiley
We all know Eddie and have witnessed examples of his integrity. When he decided to go into business building amplifiers, he immediately took himself off the Decware forum to avoid conflicts of interest. Steve was also gracious in wishing him well in his venture. It's easy to forget that in terms of hi-fi philosophy, the two people are much more similar than different. There's sufficient room in the market for both brands to exist without the need to denigrate either. Unfortunately, some people seem to have lost perspective on this matter.

« Last Edit: 09/15/07 at 12:11:26 by giorgino »  
  IP Logged
paulc
Ex Member

Reply #96 - 09/15/07 at 12:31:29

Well said, both Steve and Giorgino!

I look forward to listening to these new amps real soon.

IP Logged
Eli Duttman
Seasoned Member

Music Loving Geezer

Reply #97 - 09/15/07 at 14:13:35

giorgino wrote on 09/15/07 at 12:03:24:
I think Eddie would be just as embarrassed to learn that this level of evangelical zeal was being preached in his name. For what it's worth Steve, I'm sorry. Smiley
We all know Eddie and have witnessed examples of his integrity. When he decided to go into business building amplifiers, he immediately took himself off the Decware forum to avoid conflicts of interest. Steve was also gracious in wishing him well in his venture. It's easy to forget that in terms of hi-fi philosophy, the two people are much more similar than different. There's sufficient room in the market for both brands to exist without the need to denigrate either. Unfortunately, some people seem to have lost perspective on this matter.

Hear, hear!!

There's always room in the marketplace for 1 of the folks who gives a damn.  One size does NOT fit all.

Eli D.
  IP Logged
Dirty_Dawg
Seasoned Member

Only the music is
real.

Reply #98 - 09/15/07 at 14:42:23

Even as much as I avoid agreeing with anyone on anything, I have to whole-hearted agree with you, here.

I honestly don't understand what Corey is trying to do with his wide-brush statements, but his credibility is taking a hit.

« Last Edit: 09/15/07 at 15:10:17 by Dirty_Dawg »  

Anxiously watching as the whirling wind scoops up and hurls into oblivion the chalky white dust that was once the rank bones of my final oppressor, I relax finally, as I have survived again.
  IP Logged
MikeW
Seasoned Member

Late great James
Jamerson

Reply #99 - 09/15/07 at 16:43:56

Corey has his opinions and makes valid points in some of his arguments. They can be agreed with or disagreed with. But I believe Steve hit the nail on the head. This thread was about Steve's new amp and to spur excitement from the community that is interested in them and may indeed even buy a pair of them. I am quite sure Steve shared this with the forum folks because he is quite proud of what he believes is the best work he has done. Bottom line, Corey...right or wrong, showed poor taste in using this thread to express his opinions.

One of my favorite philosophical tenets is that people will agree with you only if they already agree with you. You do not change people's minds.
Zen Select
Zen CSP
Ah Njoe Tjoeb

IP Logged
stevef
Ex Member

Reply #100 - 09/15/07 at 19:48:10

Unfortunatly these things happen.  As audiophiles we are all passionate about music and the devices we choose to listen through.  I know at times I have had to "count to ten" before commenting on an attack of my observations.  I think Steve Deckert handeled this one rather well.  Audio really isn't a contact sport.  
An easy solution may be to bring a couple of different amps to Zenfest, level match them, and line 'em on Friday night.

Steve

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #101 - 09/15/07 at 22:01:22

All Steve has to do is rename this amp "The King James Version Zen."

Wink

It sure is righteous enough!

« Last Edit: 09/15/07 at 22:58:41 by Lon »  

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,
PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
Gexter
Ex Member

Reply #102 - 09/15/07 at 22:06:47

ditto.

IP Logged
MikeW
Seasoned Member

Late great James
Jamerson

Reply #103 - 09/15/07 at 23:15:04

Lon wrote on 09/15/07 at 22:01:22:
All Steve has to do is rename this amp "The King James Version Zen."

Wink

It sure is righteous enough!

Grin Grin Grin Grin

One of my favorite philosophical tenets is that people will agree with you only if they already agree with you. You do not change people's minds.
Zen Select
Zen CSP
Ah Njoe Tjoeb

IP Logged
Gexter
Ex Member

Reply #104 - 09/15/07 at 23:45:50

MikeW wrote on 09/15/07 at 23:15:04:
Grin Grin Grin Grin

Careful there bud. Smiley

If Steve did it would be the best amp ever KJV Zen 1611.00 the king of all the tube amps

The experience is considered " religious and enlightening "

"Wescott and Hort editions pale in comparison to this amp". says  Jerry Falwell of audio bliss magazine

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 
Send Topic Print