Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
10/23/14 at 02:01:17

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9
Send Topic Print
NEW DECWARE AMP at DECFEST2007 (Read 26685 times)
selmerdave
Seasoned Member

When words fail,
music speaks - HC
Anderson

Re: NEW DECWARE AMP at DECFEST2007
Reply #75 - 09/12/07 at 20:05:15

Gee Corey, obviously you are not a fan of Decware amps, but what you're saying sounds an awful lot like someone else's sales pitch.  Just because you think that the iron you now have does everything the Decware iron did and more, doesn't mean that everyone would agree with you.  There are plenty of people who would and have willfully chosen Decware amps over amps just like yours, and not exclusively because of their "crappy rooms" or your other implications.

You are very much coming across as though your opinion is definitive and "correct", which is awfully presumptuous.  So you prefer another amp and subscribe to someone else's philosophy, big deal.  Not too many people have the same tastes.

Dave

Altec 604E's in MLTL cabs biamped w/Rane AC-22
Zen Select on HF
Radio Craftsmen RC-2's on LF
Eico HF-85
VPI HW-19 Mk II, Sonus arm, Grado Gold
CAL Tercet mK IV
WWW   IP Logged
change_out
Verified Member

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #76 - 09/12/07 at 20:15:12

Corey,
1. You are right about the importance of the room.
2. I disagree about the Decware iron. Are you confining your "limited bass" to the SET  line up?
3. Both of the Torii's with the Imperials will produce chest thumping, clear as as a bell low end bully.
4. I agree with Dave, you're coming of as a marketing pitch.

Tim

Select Mono's, Taboo, Torii MkI & II
Wadia 16 w GNSC mod's
HDT's, Parker 95's, RL3's. The Horns, SO Imperials
  IP Logged
morpheous85
Seasoned Member

Reply #77 - 09/12/07 at 20:26:53

Running an sv83 OPT with EL34s? Ya it's going to saturate!

I think in the end it comes down to taste. Everyone knows that tube amps have higher measureable distortion that SS. However, most people prefer tube amps, even though they are scientifically inferior.

Steve went to the expense of 0C3 tube regulators, which could have been done with Zener diodes or even left out all together. I don't think chassis size would be the deciding factor of the sound quality. Especially in what's supposed to be his best sounding amplifier, and the top of the line.

Jason

IP Logged
Jason

Reply #78 - 09/12/07 at 21:05:49

change_out wrote on 09/12/07 at 20:15:12:
Corey,
3. Both of the Torii's with the Imperials will produce chest thumping, clear as as a bell low end bully.

Tim

I agree totally with this statement, Tim, except both of the Torii's go against what's being discussed, in fact they almost prove Corey correct.  That, and the Imperials are hardly a fair speaker to use as a bass reference comparison.

Marketing pitch or reality check?  Corey has spent enough $$ to know what works at what doesn't, therefore his opinion is justified.

Jason

IP Logged
selmerdave
Seasoned Member

When words fail,
music speaks - HC
Anderson

Reply #79 - 09/12/07 at 21:27:24

Jason wrote on 09/12/07 at 21:05:49:
I agree totally with this statement, Tim, except both of the Torii's go against what's being discussed, in fact they almost prove Corey correct.

The original Torii used the same OPT's as Zen amps, albeit in a different configuration.

Quote:
Marketing pitch or reality check?  Corey has spent enough $$ to know what works at what doesn't, therefore his opinion is justified.

Plenty of others (Steve Deckert included) have spent as much or more $$ than Corey and come to different conclusions than has he.  His is one opinion among the many.

Dave

Altec 604E's in MLTL cabs biamped w/Rane AC-22
Zen Select on HF
Radio Craftsmen RC-2's on LF
Eico HF-85
VPI HW-19 Mk II, Sonus arm, Grado Gold
CAL Tercet mK IV
WWW   IP Logged
buzz
Seasoned Member

Reply #80 - 09/12/07 at 21:34:32

Jason wrote on 09/12/07 at 21:05:49:
... reality check?  ...

Jason

Lets get to the point then and be brutally honest... I have not heard any SE amp that was up to task in the bass department. I mean bass so tight, so real that nausea is an issue. I have 'big iron' and the bass response is better than smaller iron. But the fact is that it still is not enough... even with the imperial. I end up using SS for the lowest octave. I wish I could truely run single driver full range. But I am caught in the enigma of how a small OPT can sound sweeter, more detailed, and even more holographic than larger iron. But Corey is completely right that for bass bigger iron is better. Here is something to think about... I find cheap Hammond 125CSE OPT to sound very sweet at the top, maybe even better than my Electraprint iron.

Perhaps Steve realizes true magic is in the midrange and top... and is not willing to give that up. It is not that he can't make big iron, it is that he is not willing to compromise what makes his amps special.

So we really are all in the same boat... we wish one amp could do it all, but guess what... one amp can't. How you address that issue is your own compromise.

buzz

« Last Edit: 09/12/07 at 21:47:20 by buzz »  
  IP Logged
Terry
Seasoned Member

Listen with your
Heart, not with your
ears!!

Reply #81 - 09/12/07 at 21:52:41

The best amps I have heard with bass response are class D, perhaps that is because of their super high damping factors, but they can sure slam a note.

TG

WWW   IP Logged
Randy in Caintuck
Seasoned Member

Tube be ... or not
tube be ... it's a
no-brainer.

Reply #82 - 09/12/07 at 22:09:32

As has been mentioned several times in this thread ..... personal taste is the real issue.

Having said that, I am not a "bass freak" by any means.  The music that is my standard fare leans more toward the acoustic side with the lowest notes being produced by an acoustic bass or piano.  I am not much into electronically produced bass.  A Decware Select and CSP2 driving a pair of speakers with the capability to reproduce the bass notes produced by acoustic instruments is extremely realistic and satisfying.  It has been my experience that a good number of folks have been conditioned by the over-emphasized bass that dominates popular music.

I attend events on a regular basis where live piano and acoustic bass are played (unamplified) and I have no complaints about the bass I am hearing from my home system .....  8-)

Steve has stated often that the CSP2 "completes" the sound of the Zen amps and takes the sound to the next level.  The enhanced bass is a big part of that package.  Don't make the mistake of thinking that the Select is bass shy (with suitable speakers) until you have heard it with the CSP2.

Randy

« Last Edit: 09/12/07 at 22:10:32 by Randy in Caintuck »  

CEC TL-2 belt drive CD transport
Camelot Uther / Anagram DAC
Decware Model SE84C+ amplifier
Greenvalve Audio Type 10 amplifier
Parker Audio Troll Magnus speakers
"Mini Me" OBs - with Hawthorne Augies, Wild Burro Betsy drivers and Heil AMTs
WWW   IP Logged
Corey
Verified Member

Reply #83 - 09/12/07 at 22:12:53

change_out wrote on 09/12/07 at 20:15:12:
2. I disagree about the Decware iron. Are you confining your "limited bass" to the SET  line up?

Yes, SET.

Quote:

No doubt, they are push/pull. Again, when I think of Decware, I think of speakers and the Imperial SO's are one of the speaker's I think about!

Quote:

I am a farmer and sell grain and cattle, not audio. I used to be really good friends with Eddie Vaughn and we talked on the phone regularly but I haven't talked to him in months. Last time I went to Hawthorne Audio the Carina wasn't available in the shopping cart. I don't know if he even sells it anymore.

Corey

« Last Edit: 09/12/07 at 22:15:01 by Corey »  

Bass makes me strong.
WWW   IP Logged
Jason

Reply #84 - 09/12/07 at 22:43:44

Randy in Caintuck wrote on 09/12/07 at 22:09:32:
As has been mentioned several times in this thread ..... personal taste is the real issue.

It has been my experience that a good number of folks have been conditioned by the over-emphasized bass that dominates popular music.

Randy

Very true, Randy.  My audio systems have always had fairly flat frequency responses.  The bass is there, but not overpowering.  You miss it if it's rolled off, but its never the dominant feature.   Besides, there's not much below 40hz unless it's artificially introduced.

Jason

IP Logged
Jason

Reply #85 - 09/12/07 at 22:49:41

buzz wrote on 09/12/07 at 21:34:32:
Lets get to the point then and be brutally honest... I have not heard any SE amp that was up to task in the bass department. I mean bass so tight, so real that nausea is an issue.

buzz

Tight realistic bass should make you want to listen to it all night, not make you puke.

Did I miss something?

Jason

IP Logged
morpheous85
Seasoned Member

Reply #86 - 09/12/07 at 23:18:25

"The central research theme of Dr. Vladimir Gavreau was the development of remote controlled automatons and robotic devices. To this end he assembled a group of scientists in 1957."

"Housed in a large concrete building, the entire group periodically experienced a disconcerting nausea which flooded the research facility."

"The source was finally traced by building engineers to an improperly installed motor-driven ventilator."

"It was found that a low intensity pitch of a fundamental 7 cycles per second was being produced.  It became obvious that the slow vibrating motor was activating an infrasonic resonant mode in the large concrete duct. Operating as the vibrating "tongue" of an immense "organ pipe", the rattling motor produced nauseating infrasound."

-- Quotes taken from http://www.borderlands.com/archives/arch/gavreaus.htm

That's bass that makes you puke!

Jason

IP Logged
buzz
Seasoned Member

Reply #87 - 09/13/07 at 00:05:44

Jason wrote on 09/12/07 at 22:49:41:
Tight realistic bass should make you want to listen to it all night, not make you puke.

Did I miss something?

Jason

It is an interesting phenomenon, no pain is involved, and no other warnings signs of too high of volume, just nausea. The incredible realistic bass is addictive so perhaps I am listening at too high a volume, but I don't think so. Yes, it does occur more often with music with electronic bass, but not exclusively. I knew I shouldn't have mentioned this.  ::) It makes no sense unless you have experienced it. Effects of frequencies as high as 100hz have been documented.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa3912/is_200702/ai_n18632410/pg_3

« Last Edit: 09/13/07 at 00:09:33 by buzz »  
  IP Logged
abluesky
Verified Member

Reply #88 - 09/13/07 at 23:14:14

SE84ZSM
120/240 volt Zen Triode Monoblocks (pr)
$2095.00

It seems my mouse is going into autopilot towards the master catalog page........help help......I can't stop......

C Evans

mod thorens td150/mh maverick>mod naim 42> Fi X>horns & cube
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #89 - 09/14/07 at 00:04:28

Well someone beet me to it..  [smiley=10.gif]  

I've finally calculated the price on these and it comes out to about 2250.00 for the pair so I'm going to sell the first 10 for 2095.00 pr.  I have added it to the master catalog but not yet to the web site.  That may not happen until after the Decfest07.  The master catalog can be found at this link:  http://www.decware.com/newsite/mastercatalog.htm

Thanks,

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9
Send Topic Print