Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
11/26/14 at 04:24:27

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 9
Send Topic Print
NEW DECWARE AMP at DECFEST2007 (Read 27719 times)
Corey
Verified Member

Re: NEW DECWARE AMP at DECFEST2007
Reply #30 - 09/02/07 at 05:47:49

Steve,

You seemed to have grasped the concept of the reality of "spirits" in this world as based on a post of your's a while back. No doubt the spirit of ourselves and the spirit of the person(s) singing, for example, on a recording dramatically contributes to our experience of the song. There is certainly something to be said comparing the voice of Gene Simmons growling into the mic with his tongue hanging out vs. a dainty damsel singing alongside a harp. Gene's voice will have his spirit and all his friends tagging along with him in the mix, hence the various cackling, rasping, hoarsness etc.   If the person is a perverted drug addict like Gene, well, he might resonate with that music because that's what his friends tagging along with him like to hear.

Talk to me 2-3 years ago, and I would be found in that category of people. A perverted, drunk, drug addicted, angry individual and my taste in music, or should I say my taste in sound reflected that: up front and personal.

Today things are different. I own 4 music discs and they all contain musicans who are sanctified, holy and born of the Spirit of God. The experience is in a word, purity. Seeing I myself also now am the same, well, my taste in sound reflects my choice in an amp: clean, immediate and velvety pure. I am not saying that one has to go to a DHT amp to get this, but you sure can't reach it running cheap electrolytic capacitors. No doubt your new amp will sound better, much cleaner, much blacker, but to say the previous amps sound the best, well, sorry, perhaps under the $1000.00 price range. There is lots of expensive stuff out there, and I don't mean commercial amps. I mean expensive components like output transformers etc.

Corey

Give God the praise and the honor for everything! Praise God!

« Last Edit: 09/16/07 at 19:16:47 by Corey »  

Bass makes me strong.
WWW   IP Logged
paulc
Ex Member

Reply #31 - 09/02/07 at 08:50:05

A coherent sentence?

IP Logged
Tish
Seasoned Member

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #32 - 09/02/07 at 17:37:10

Expensive components do NOT always make a better amp, its the way they are mixed together. Thats what put Decware on the map! Steve has proven to me that you don't need silver wound transformers or hand rolled caps to make a GREAT amp!!          Tish

IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #33 - 09/02/07 at 18:37:44

Corey wrote on 09/02/07 at 05:47:49:
The experience is in a word, purity. Seeing I myself also now am the same, well, my taste in sound reflects my choice in an amp: clean, immediate and velvety pure.

Decware is the SIN PIT amp!  [smiley=laught.gif] Smiley Smiley Smiley

IP Logged
selmerdave
Seasoned Member

When words fail,
music speaks - HC
Anderson

Reply #34 - 09/02/07 at 19:01:02

Tish wrote on 09/02/07 at 17:37:10:
Expensive components do NOT always make a better amp, its the way they are mixed together. Thats what put Decware on the map! Steve has proven to me that you don't need silver wound transformers or hand rolled caps to make a GREAT amp!!          Tish

*Well* said.

Dave

Altec 604E's in MLTL cabs biamped w/Rane AC-22
Zen Select on HF
Radio Craftsmen RC-2's on LF
Eico HF-85
VPI HW-19 Mk II, Sonus arm, Grado Gold
CAL Tercet mK IV
WWW   IP Logged
Corey
Verified Member

Reply #35 - 09/02/07 at 19:32:24

Tish wrote on 09/02/07 at 17:37:10:
Expensive components do NOT always make a better amp, its the way they are mixed together.

True, but going with something in the premium range of output iron, for example, like Tamura or Plitron, doesn't take much mixing. You drop $2k and bolt it on. The iron alone is worth more than 2 of the amps Steve mentioned as being the "best."  I am not defending my amp, just living in reality.  There are alot of one-off custom amps out there that sound exceptional, every time they are turned on.

Corey

Bass makes me strong.
WWW   IP Logged
Tish
Seasoned Member

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #36 - 09/02/07 at 19:56:08

Again,  Dropping 2K on some trannies and bolting them on does NOT guaranty great sound. Its the total mix of the curcuit and ALL the components. If you mix them correctly (like Steve has done) you can make a GREAT amp without dropping 2K. You seem to be mixing sound quality with $ spent.    Tish

IP Logged
selmerdave
Seasoned Member

When words fail,
music speaks - HC
Anderson

Reply #37 - 09/02/07 at 20:17:23

Yeah, I would add that I have compared my Zen side-by-side with an $8k Airtight SET with Tamura iron and every expensive part in the book.  This was with a $30k front end and while it sounded good I did prefer my Zen.

I'll let Randy speak for himself but I doubt the iron in his SET amps that he dumped was shabby.

Dave

Zen Select on HF
Eico HF-85
CAL Tercet mK IV
WWW   IP Logged
MikeW
Seasoned Member

Late great James
Jamerson

Reply #38 - 09/02/07 at 23:15:14

Quote:
I am not defending my amp, just living in reality.

I kinda think the way you introduced yourself to this thread, set the stage for the reactions you are getting Corey. With the Oh Boy remark about something that many folks were excited about.

FWIW, I may be joining the DHT amp owners myself but I still like the Decware products.

One of my favorite philosophical tenets is that people will agree with you only if they already agree with you. You do not change people's minds.
Zen Select
Zen CSP
Ah Njoe Tjoeb

IP Logged
stevef
Ex Member

Reply #39 - 09/04/07 at 03:15:03

Funny how an announcement about a new amp gets mired in talk about exotic iron, DHT amps, and spirituality.  Now I expect some of the Decware faithful to shoot down other opinions, but yes there are some good amps out there.  I am curious about the new flagship amp, and listening to it at Zenfest.  

Steve

IP Logged
MikeW
Seasoned Member

Late great James
Jamerson

Reply #40 - 09/04/07 at 11:30:33

I am never shot down.....just shot at Wink

One of my favorite philosophical tenets is that people will agree with you only if they already agree with you. You do not change people's minds.
Zen Select
Zen CSP
Ah Njoe Tjoeb

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #41 - 09/07/07 at 16:50:46

I have revised the first post of this thread.... please go to the top of page 1 and RE-READ it  :).

http://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1187957711/0

Thanks,

Steve

« Last Edit: 09/07/07 at 17:19:14 by Steve Deckert »  
WWW   IP Logged
MikeW
Seasoned Member

Late great James
Jamerson

Reply #42 - 09/07/07 at 18:00:22

Quote:
When you hear these it is likely you will want to say goodbye to your copy cat and tweaked out Zens for good.

Whoa Nellie Smiley Smiley Smiley

I can not come to the Zenfest but I will look forward to the impressions

« Last Edit: 09/07/07 at 20:48:09 by MikeW »  

Zen Select
Zen CSP
Ah Njoe Tjoeb

IP Logged
scott_m
Verified Member

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #43 - 09/07/07 at 18:29:58

Man, those are beautiful!!  If they sound as good as they look...

Scott.

WWW   IP Logged
selmerdave
Seasoned Member

When words fail,
music speaks - HC
Anderson

Reply #44 - 09/07/07 at 19:10:46

Very nice.  That answers the OPT question, and I have to ask.  Any other amp in a similar price range has considerably more substantial OPT's.  I think if the potential buyer thinks that these OPT's are anything less than top notch - especially in this price range, they'll spend the money on a competitor's amp.  So I'm just wondering, Steve, if you can explain how it is that the Decware OPT's can be competitive with nice OPT's from Electraprint or Sowter or Magnequest, particularly when their iron for similar applications is across the board significantly larger.  Not that I doubt it but just wondering what the explanation is where all other high-end iron is larger, most cheaper iron is smaller, and Decware OPT's are also smaller.  With the Zen amps I can understand it's a simple issue of cost management, and that the OPT's supplied are the best combination of performance at a reasonable price (and I would agree about that), but in the close-to-$2k category I think that could be a turn-off, particularly in light of competitor's products.

Dave

Zen Select on HF
Eico HF-85
CAL Tercet mK IV
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 9
Send Topic Print