Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
10/02/14 at 05:46:56

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 9
Send Topic Print
NEW DECWARE AMP at DECFEST2007 (Read 26275 times)
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

NEW DECWARE AMP at DECFEST2007
08/24/07 at 13:15:11

While there will be a few new things presented at this years fest,  one in particular should be well worth the drive!  

For the serious SET enthusiast there is no question that the SE84CS and more recently SE84ZS Zen Triode Selects have been the most popular amp Decware sells.

In the spirit of "how far can it be taken" - how good can a single SV83 output tube per channel really get - I am pleased to announce the debut of the SE84ZSM Zen Triode Monoblocks.  As you know we had signature mono blocks on the market for many years -  those are pictured below:

The new SE84ZSM's are better. Smiley  In fact they're a lot better.  Truth is they smoke every Zen Triode amp that has ever been built, and not by just a narrow margin.

With over 2 years in development they are now a reality.  Some major changes that have occurred include the following:

1) A 900 volt 26MFD first section filter - increasing the compatibility with exotic rectifier tubes like the 274B.
2) A choke regulated pure polypropylene power supply - giving the amp incredible speed and dynamics.
3) OA3 Tube voltage regulation - also pure polypropylene - regulates the input stage.
4) A more refined output tube bias circuit that actually increased output tube life and power.
5) Direct and variable inputs where the input jacks are 2 inches away from the input stage.
6) General Electric Military Polypropylene Film coupling caps or optional Mundorf or VCAPS.

These new amps are built on our anniversary platform and are mirror imaged, ie. left and right.  Simply beautiful.

My guess is that these amps will dominate the fest.  Cost will be over a pair of SE84ZS or TABOO amps - but still more than reasonable.

Also it should be noted that while these amps like their predecessors still excel at driving low impedances down to 1 ohm, they WILL play a pair of 8 ohm HDT loudspeakers http://www.decware.com/newsite/HDT.htm insanely LOUD!!!  In fact a single SE84ZSM monoblock hooked to a single HDT loudspeaker will play as loud as a pair of HDT's hooked to a SE84ZS stereo model. They've really got some nuts!

When you hear these it is likely you will want to say goodbye to your copy cat and tweaked out Zens for good.

Come to the DECFEST and hear the best Zen Triode amps ever built!

Steve Smiley

« Last Edit: 09/07/07 at 16:53:55 by Steve Deckert »  
WWW   IP Logged
MikeW
Seasoned Member

Late great James
Jamerson

Re: NEW DECWARE AMP at DECFEST2007
Reply #1 - 08/24/07 at 13:30:08

Cool.....very cool indeed Smiley

One of my favorite philosophical tenets is that people will agree with you only if they already agree with you. You do not change people's minds.
Zen Select
Zen CSP
Ah Njoe Tjoeb

IP Logged
Terry
Seasoned Member

Listen with your
Heart, not with your
ears!!

Reply #2 - 08/24/07 at 15:56:59

Uh oh!   Randy better bring his check book.

TG

WWW   IP Logged
buzz
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 08/24/07 at 16:39:16

If a new DAC is released im going to freak out.  :o

IP Logged
kyrill
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 08/24/07 at 17:15:46

Congratulations Steve Smiley

How many watts ( 6 watts)? We know it will sound gorgeous

« Last Edit: 08/24/07 at 17:18:39 by kyrill »  

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #5 - 08/24/07 at 17:21:52

Ah, even the content and complacent will be . . . atwitter! Smiley

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
Randy in Caintuck
Seasoned Member

Tube be ... or not
tube be ... it's a
no-brainer.

Reply #6 - 08/24/07 at 18:19:26

Terry wrote on 08/24/07 at 15:56:59:
Uh oh!   Randy better bring his check book.

TG

Nah .....

I'm certain that the new amps won't work very well with the CSP2 .....   Undecided

Randy

CEC TL-2 belt drive CD transport
Camelot Uther / Anagram DAC
Decware Model SE84C+ amplifier
Greenvalve Audio Type 10 amplifier
Parker Audio Troll Magnus speakers
"Mini Me" OBs - with Hawthorne Augies, Wild Burro Betsy drivers and Heil AMTs
WWW   IP Logged
rayd
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 08/24/07 at 18:47:52

Steve, any specs yet? How many watts per channel into 2 Ohms? And also, is it one output tube per channel?

Been considering the old mono's whenever they come up on Agon or somewhere (they do look sexy) but this might be a viable option.

Thanks,

- Ray

Decware SE84CS Zen Select (EV modded), vintage Philips CD880 w/CDM-1 MK2 transport, TDA1541A S1 DAC, Parker 95's, Promitheus Audio TVC Reference 1, Blue Jeans Cables, NOS Tubes, HAL-Os
  IP Logged
buzz
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 08/24/07 at 19:04:09

I think I know what one of the new products is, Steve told me about it almost two years ago... he, he. (Not the ZS monoblocks) Amazing the R&D that Steve puts into every piece. I'm sure the forum will be FILLED with new faces!  ;)

Steve, thanks for your hard work!

buzz

« Last Edit: 08/24/07 at 19:31:38 by buzz »  
  IP Logged
selmerdave
Seasoned Member

When words fail,
music speaks - HC
Anderson

Reply #9 - 08/24/07 at 20:16:50

Ray,

I'm pretty sure it's one output tube, which any way you slice it is going to be a max of 2 or 2.5w per channel if it's triode strapped.

"In the spirit of "how far can it be taken" - how good can a single SV83 output tube per channel really get - I am pleased to announce the debut of the SE84ZSM Zen Triode Monoblocks."

I think it's a good thing for Decware to have a flagship SET, bravo Steve.  I'm curious about the OPT's.

Dave

« Last Edit: 08/24/07 at 20:18:45 by selmerdave »  

Altec 604E's in MLTL cabs biamped w/Rane AC-22
Zen Select on HF
Radio Craftsmen RC-2's on LF
Eico HF-85
VPI HW-19 Mk II, Sonus arm, Grado Gold
CAL Tercet mK IV
WWW   IP Logged
Terry
Seasoned Member

Listen with your
Heart, not with your
ears!!

Reply #10 - 08/24/07 at 20:37:15

This was going to be my recomendation to Steve while visiting, as we really have just tipped the iceberg of what this combination of tubes can do.  In 2001 forum members talked about choke pi filters, and more recently all polly caps.  I really like the idea of optional coupling caps, this create the ability for his amp to make anyone happy.  I tried the Mundorf Silver Supremes in the Select, they sound wonderful, but not to my liking, I guess most of us that have fallen in love with the select are detail fanatics, we like the treble detail.  In reality you basically have to want a certain type of sound to like the Select, it is kind of like Lowthers in that once you have it you can't live without it, they say Lowther for life, I say SE84 for life.

Steve,

Have the SE84 series of amplfiers been the best sellers of all your line of amplfiers?

TG

WWW   IP Logged
intraman

Reply #11 - 08/24/07 at 21:35:26

This is indeed great news .... I was calculating my outlay in boutique parts alone for my tweaked Zen and figured it was close to $900...  Plus all that time... Great news Steve!

Tim

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #12 - 08/24/07 at 21:38:28

Regarding a DAC, yes I've done quite a bit of R&D on one, but it's still up in the air.  I had been working with Apogee over the past year and regrettably they got me so mad I just had to pull the plug on the whole project.  Details are between me and my poor neighbors who no doubt got to hear the grand finale last week.

I,ve taken it as a sign.  It would have just pissed off most of the people on this forum anyway since the price was likely to be several grand.  

In the meanwhile I am going to go back to a tubed CD player that will equal or surpass the previous two that I have done and it will be under a grand.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
intraman

Reply #13 - 08/24/07 at 21:42:39

Smiley More good news... And on the new Zen ....

"Uh oh!   Randy better bring his check book."

Indeed

Tim

IP Logged
rayd
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 08/24/07 at 23:08:22

Thanks Dave. I agree, glad Steve is bringing back the monos - albeit in a new suit  :-)

Even though I never owned a pair - but I did hear them (Dens) - I always get a warm fuzzy when I see photos of them  [smiley=peanuts21.gif]

- Ray

Decware SE84CS Zen Select (EV modded), vintage Philips CD880 w/CDM-1 MK2 transport, TDA1541A S1 DAC, Parker 95's, Promitheus Audio TVC Reference 1, Blue Jeans Cables, NOS Tubes, HAL-Os
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 9
Send Topic Print