Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
08/31/15 at 16:27:42

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Rectifier tube for CSP2? (Read 37126 times)
Greg12
Seasoned Member

Re: Rectifier tube for CSP2?
Reply #60 - 04/03/13 at 18:13:23

Just ordered my 3rd and hopefully last one.  $72 shipped..ouch.  But, if rectifiers can potentially last what, 10 or more years then what the heck.
Greg

Torii MkIII with Jupiter caps, ZP3 with Jupiter caps, DM947 Monoliths, Oppo 105, Pro-ject Rm-5.1 Se TT
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #61 - 02/12/15 at 14:22:42

I figured I'd update this thread.  The Phillips 5R4gy tubes at Upscale Audio are now $95 each.

I am starting a poll to find out what rectifiers folks are using in their ZP3, Amp or CSP.  I want to hear all suggestions but really am interested in more reasonably priced American versions...especially of the a fore mentioned 5R4GY Rectifier.  Mark.

PS...I currently am running Ken Rad WW II 5U4Gs in the Torii, 50's RCA 5U4Gs in the Zen Signature Monoblocks, new production Valve Art 274B in the CSP3, and a 50's RCA 5Y3G in the ZP3.

« Last Edit: 02/12/15 at 14:29:53 by mark58 »  

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #62 - 02/12/15 at 14:33:29

Torii Mk III (newest) RCA 5V4G ('fifties, I think)

Torii Mk III (oldest) cryo'd Valve Arts 274B

Tori Mk III cryo'd Valve Arts 274B

All three CSP2+ in three systems: RCA 5Y3GT, one 'forties, two 'fifties. These just are the most accurate rectifiers for this machine, when using tapes I recorded of bands I was in in my former garage apartment, reference tapes that are useful because I was there, with these musicians, in this space.

ZP3: GE 5Y3GT, 'fifties. Again, this tube type seems the most accurate to me in the ZP3.

« Last Edit: 02/12/15 at 15:07:30 by Lon »  

Decware:HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III;PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,AC-12 power cords;Denon DVD-A1UDCI Rega RP3,TTPSU,white belt+Exact2;VooDoo Cable:Stradivarius and Strad Cremona, Iso-Pods;Mapleshade:Dble Heiix Plus,Samson v2+3;Herbie's Iso-Cups;Oppo PM-1 headphones
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #63 - 02/12/15 at 14:49:42

I wish we were all able to post our Gear and the tubes and tweaks employed in our profile without having it appear as a signature on every post.  That way we could all have this useful info at our finger tips.  We could also leave commentary on our findings and favorite tubes and modify our findings as they change, alleviating the need to sift through multiple old posts for answers...just a thought. I often find it difficult to pull the trigger on more expensive tubes without knowing how they'll perform in my specific gear. Or at least knowing the opinions/impressions of those who've used the tubes in my gear. Mark

« Last Edit: 02/12/15 at 15:01:17 by mark58 »  

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #64 - 02/12/15 at 14:53:56

Lon,  the suffix...GT means the smaller straight bottle versions...correct?  Mark.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #65 - 02/12/15 at 15:05:03

Yes.

Decware:HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III;PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,AC-12 power cords;Denon DVD-A1UDCI Rega RP3,TTPSU,white belt+Exact2;VooDoo Cable:Stradivarius and Strad Cremona, Iso-Pods;Mapleshade:Dble Heiix Plus,Samson v2+3;Herbie's Iso-Cups;Oppo PM-1 headphones
  IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #66 - 02/12/15 at 16:44:22

Yes those Philips have shot up. I grabbed a pair when they seemed to appear all at once on e-bay. I`m sure one of the ads said this is a $100 tube, grab yourself a bargain now. I only have one now after a Rachael gave me a belt when I was trying to figure out an EL34 failure.
Just needed a repacement tube thats all.

I have been using the brown base RCA 5R4GY x2 `D`bottom getters in both CSP2+ and ZP3 for some months.

However I`m revisiting a Mullard GZ34 ( I`m sure I didn`t pay the big price they can fetch on it ) white shield...and last night the Philips.

So
CSP2+ Philips 5R4GYS
ZP3 Mullard GZ34

I`m starting to think about digging my 5y3GT out again and switching out the Philips.

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, CSP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DSC i/c`s, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s. Roksan Radius/Nima/high def cabl & M.Benz LP s , Rega wall mount, DV 20XL, Nakamichi LX5, M/L aeon i`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains sub
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #67 - 02/12/15 at 19:19:09

I never could "get" the Phillips 5R4GYS. It is always impressive when I try it, but the appearance of power and density ends up overwhelming inner detail for me in my Torii and in my CSP3. Since I went to an Amperex green globe 6922 (looks and sounds just like the early 60s 7308) in front of the CSP3, and some Phillips E188CCs in the power positions, my fave is a dirt cheap GE 5R4GY with double D getters. It is probably an RCA...just like some RCAs I have except these have a single getter.

I think it just depends what you put with what. I am also using Mazda 5V4G/GZ32s in the Torii, with their nice tonal density and slight warmth, and the big and slightly warm Genelex KT66, and as inputs, the unusual warmth, articulation, and fine detail of some very nice Amperex/Miniwatt PCC88s...then the 7308 types in the CSP3, their amazing extension, articulation, inner detail and tonal density....with all that, the very open and clean sounding GE is just awesome.

Unlike the stock CSP3 tubes, this tube set lets through all the micro detail, dynamics, pace etc my Tranquility DAC and Torii MKIV can offer, which is a big deal for me.

« Last Edit: 02/12/15 at 19:21:45 by will »  

PSA P5/mod'd Brickwall/Shunyata Defender>MacMini/Pure Music>DIY and Pi Audio PCs>Tranquility DAC/linear USB>VHAudio DIY/Grover ICs>jupiter CSP3>Torii MKIV>Synergistic Res. Copper Element/UEF>HR1...SynRes MIG, BDR, and Herbie's isocup feet, dampers etc
  IP Logged
Acetone
Seasoned Member

when music hits you,
you feel no pain

Reply #68 - 02/27/15 at 17:52:06

ZP3 - RCA  50's  5U4GB straight tall bottle  and  RCA 50's  5Y3GT  straight short bottle....still undecided which I'll keep installed for the long run.
Using the 5R4GYS Phillips (upscale) in the SuperZen SE84CKC.

SuperZen-CKC, ZP3, VPI -Traveler w/Ortofon 2M black. Tekton-Lores. Philips CDR-880. Decware-IC, RAC-pwr cables & IC's, Mapleshade Dbl Helix+ Spkr wire, Blue Circle PLC FX2 X0e. Herbies tube dampers, tenderfoots, GIK & PI Audio room treatments.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print