Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/18/14 at 18:14:53

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
Rectifier tube for CSP2? (Read 21940 times)
hoosier1
Verified Member

Rectifier tube for CSP2?
04/14/08 at 15:13:42

Hello folks,

What are your recommendations for the rectifier tube for the CSP2 (old style CSP upgraded, if that makes any difference)?  

Thanks for any input.

Jim

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Re: Rectifier tube for CSP2?
Reply #1 - 06/01/08 at 14:58:52

I'm using an RCA version of the stock tube and LOVE it.

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+(2),Torii Mk III, PS Audio PWT+PWD MkII,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100, Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable IC: Evo and UL, Mapleshade:Double Heiix Samsonv2+v3 and 4"platforms,Herbie's IsoCups+Tendft
  IP Logged
WLP
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 06/01/08 at 23:55:39

I've had a Bendix 6016 in my csp for about 2 years - absolutely no complaints.

Jack H
WWW   IP Logged
veryoldcat
Seasoned Member

dam*ed if you do,
and dam*ed if you
don't

Reply #3 - 08/03/08 at 03:14:27

Perhaps you mean Bendix 6106?

Anyhow, I'm using a Bendix 6106 in the original CSP (not yet upgraded to a CSP2).

The Bendix is very good sounding and definitely more rugged than Mullard 5Y3's, but still less of a singing quality than the Mullards, which are still my favorite.

Apparently my original CSP is a little hard on the Mullards, though, as I've gone through three which only lasted an average of 4-6 months, but the Bendix seems more or less bullet proof (knock on wood).

Karl

SE84CS (vcapped), CSP, zbox, Dec685, ZP 1.0, Sota tt/Well-Tempered Arm/V15XMR, Parker 98's, Parker Audio *Power Chords*, cat 6 wires, OSX; a garage sale of other stuff...
  IP Logged
Eli Duttman
Seasoned Member

Music Loving Geezer

Reply #4 - 08/03/08 at 20:14:02

Quote:
Apparently my original CSP is a little hard on the Mullards, though, as I've gone through three which only lasted an average of 4-6 months, but the Bendix seems more or less bullet proof (knock on wood).

There's no doubt about the physical toughness of Red Bank tubes.  The 6106 was intended for use in (SIC) Nike anti-aircraft missiles.  Being built better than the proverbial brick outhouse is, apparently, good for sound too.  :>))

Eli D.
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 09/03/08 at 12:32:50

My CSP2 arrived and I have set it up. It came with a Ruby 5U4 rectifier tube, so I just threw that back into the shipping box and placed a NOS Sylvania 5U4 rectifier in its place. I may pursue another 6106 for this position. I have one in my Taboo and it sounds fine.

DECWARE CSP2+, TABOO MK III; SE84CKC; HR1; TRAPEZIUM DESKTOP SPEAKERS; TECHNICS SL1200MK5 turntable; Ah! Njoe Tjoeb CD player; MARANTZ 2226B, 2216B receivers; SENNHEISER HD-580 headphones
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #6 - 09/03/08 at 14:18:47

Wow, you are going to have a lot of listening fun with the CSP2~!

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+(2),Torii Mk III, PS Audio PWT+PWD MkII,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100, Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable IC: Evo and UL, Mapleshade:Double Heiix Samsonv2+v3 and 4"platforms,Herbie's IsoCups+Tendft
  IP Logged
Stone Deaf
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 01/29/09 at 05:23:04

Mazda 5Y3GB I love this tube, have it in everything including my guitar amp.

My system: Decware Taboo, CSP2, ZP3, Pro-Ject RM 10 / Grado Reference Sonata, Adcom 700, ERR Radials, Lots of Mapleshade, Kimber and Herbie's stuff.
  IP Logged
CRESCENDOPOWER
Verified Member

Reply #8 - 04/03/09 at 06:34:20

For me it's a Mullard 5y3G. I use the CSP 2 strictly for headphone listening with the HD 600s and I have heard nothing better.

IP Logged
Stone Deaf
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 04/03/09 at 17:22:36

I am trying to find some Mullard GZ34, I only own one and it lives in my guitar amp most of the time.

My system: Decware Taboo, CSP2, ZP3, Pro-Ject RM 10 / Grado Reference Sonata, Adcom 700, ERR Radials, Lots of Mapleshade, Kimber and Herbie's stuff.
  IP Logged
Stone Deaf
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 04/21/09 at 20:49:21

OK I found a Mullard GZ34 used tested as new for the low, low price of $89. It is definitely different from the International Servicemaster GZ34 made by Matsushima Japan using the old Mullard tool I die. The Mullard is shorter and has less glass at the top, it also doesn't glow as bright as the Jap copy. Both sound good even when I swap them from amp to preamp and back again and they sound better than the Mazdas IMO and I love the Mazda. Now I need to find one more for the phono stage.

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 11/04/09 at 13:20:50

What are the differences generally between the 5Y3 and the 5U4 in this unit?

DECWARE CSP2+, TABOO MK III; SE84CKC; HR1; TRAPEZIUM DESKTOP SPEAKERS; TECHNICS SL1200MK5 turntable; Ah! Njoe Tjoeb CD player; MARANTZ 2226B, 2216B receivers; SENNHEISER HD-580 headphones
  IP Logged
jdm
Verified Member

Reply #12 - 08/09/10 at 00:48:33

I know it's been a long time since the last post, but I thought this was a good place to post some of my recent observations on various rectifiers in my CSP2.

My test environment consisted of:
CSP2 (#063), Amperex 6922 PQ Orange Label input/driver tubes
Tripp Lite isolation transformer, DHC1 power chord
ZDAC-1 (#023), DH Labs D75 coax cable, DSRII 0.5m IC
Squeezebox receiver, Apple Lossless files
Beyer DT880 headphones, Silver Dragon dual entry cable.

Below are the rectifier tubes, and my observations.

5Y3G Sylvania - articulate, clean, open, airy; bass: slightly lean, detailed, not impatctful; mids: detailed, good separation, light (vs. dark); treble: cymbals muted.

5Y3g Tung Sol - dark, musical; bass: deeper, more impactful, deep rumble; mids: richer, darker; treble: cymbals sparkle.

5Y3GT Tung Sol - slightly dark, spacial; bass: deep, impactful; mids: rich, dark, detailed; treble: detailed.

5Y3GT GE 5 Star 6087 - dull, no sparkle, not revealing.

5Y3GT RCA - very slightly dark, musical; bass: deep, impactul; mids: lean vocals, otherwise rich; treble: unremarkable.

5Y3GT Tung Sol JAN VT197A - clean, articulate, revealing, dynamic, wide soundstage; bass: deep, impactful; mids: natural vocals, rich; treble: clean, sparkly.

5Y3WGT GE USN 6087 - dull, no sparkle, not revealing; mids: prominent vocals.

5U4G Mullard - soft, smooth, compact soundstage; bass: prominent, boomy, poorly defined.

5U4GB GE - dark, musical; bass: deep, impactul; mids: dull vocals; treble: recessed, weak.

5U4WGB Sylvania 5931 - dark, not revealing, musical, congested soundstage; bass: unremarkable; mids: strong vocals; treble: recessed, weak.

5AR4 Amperex - dark, bass heavy, clean, musical; bass: deep, prominent, punchy; mids: dark; treble: recessed, weak.

274B Sophia - fair to slightly dulled detail, immense three dimensional soundstage; bass: deep impactful; mids: natural, very slightly dull; treble: clean but no sparkle.

The differences between the Tung Sol 5Y3G(T) tubes were very slight.

The comparison was just that, a comparison and not a detailed analysis.

CSP2, Taboo, ZDAC, Zen Head
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 08/09/10 at 03:57:03

It appears that Tung Sol leads the 5Y3 pack. Now you need to try a Tung Sol 5U4G. I have one in my TABOO at my office. I have an adapter and I am going to try some 5Z3's in mine.

IP Logged
jdm
Verified Member

Reply #14 - 08/09/10 at 04:50:49

I may have to try a Tung Sol 5U4.  Thanks for the suggestion.  Until I did this comparison this weekend, I didn't realize how close the Tung Sols grouped to the ideal.

In the Taboo, however, when coupled with a CSP2 and the MG944 speakers, it needed the strong bottom end of the 5AR4 to keep from sounding bass anemic and harsh.  I use another Tung Sol 5Y3GT/VT-197A in the CSP2 feeding the Taboo (same Amperex 6922s as the other CSP2), and Amperex or Mullard 5AR4 with RCA 12AT7 blackplate input.  This combination makes the MG944s sound rich, dynamic and quick.

CSP2, Taboo, ZDAC, Zen Head
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print