WWW e3_wizard jetleeamc   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Re: ZEN OPEN BAFFLES
Reply #16 - 02/23/08 at 16:56:20

An update is in order:

Since my last posts I have had some rather incredible listening sessions.  The last one was with the new Zen Triode Monoblocks and left a memorable impression.  Since then I have not  listened to them.  The plan being to let the proud papa syndrome wear off and jump back into it in 6 months to see if I still like them as much.  That means I'll be listening to them again this Spring and making any final design decisions then.  Don't want to put out the plans until I know for sure there will be no more changes.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #17 - 03/01/08 at 06:16:20

Well, the proud papa syndrome did in fact wear off and I took a Neal Diamond CD that had absolutely no bass and hooked up the speakers and decided for sure at that moment that by themselves without a sub or broadcast system that these will not fly. Of course they were never intended to, however because they sound so damn good  on top drawer analogue recordings,  they fool you into an infatuated state of total acceptance.

So, what I am going to do, ... stuck my ear back on the port of the resonant cavity and listened to the cleanest and richest bass and went right back to square one - we have to get the sound inside this box out into the room, just that simple.  It's just too good, it has to be heard.

Back to the broadcast system.  Tonight I spent some time assembling the broadcast system using HDT's as the broadcast speakers.  I made a critical discovery about how to specifically incorporate the microphones and one channel at a time I got the system on line.

All I can say is: un- f#cking believable.

There are things happening hear that so far surpass not only the frequency balance but also imaging of any box speaker that I'm going to have to pull my Acoustats down and have an A/B comparison - it's that good.   At this point I am firmly convinced that this could become the flagship set up of all time only comparable to  my personal pair of Acoustats.   The holographic imaging is insane, far better than the acoustats because I can walk all around the room, sit or stand, and the music just sounds real - no speakers present at all.  Imaging doesn't flinch. The bass and midbase and midrange is simply in ground breaking territory.  Biggest sound stage, most holographic to date. As good as everything I have is, this is clearly creaming all of it.

So, I'm back on it.  Back to the original design intent -as it should be - and I'll let you know when I've completed it in a way that can be easily replicated or purchased. There will be plans, and there will be turn-key product.

Steve  :)

WWW   IP Logged
opnly_bafld
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 03/01/08 at 14:04:21

Cool
Let us know when it is ready for an audition!

Thanks,
Lin

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #19 - 03/02/08 at 04:45:03

Well, consider this - the broadcast electronics are all solid state and nothing to get excited about - to be replaced with tubes.  However, for the concept to be valid it should work even with this sub par set up - and it does.

It's night two, and I made a critical discovery about imaging / an epiphany that has gelled at least 10 years of pondering - have to write a paper now...

Anyway, night two and all I can say is OMG!  

Steve Smiley

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Re: ZEN OPEN BAFFLES PART III
Reply #20 - 04/01/08 at 02:47:21

Here is a link to part III of the Zen Open Baffle Project:

http://www.decware.com/paper94.htm

ZOBA !

WWW   IP Logged
Nelson Bass
Verified Member

Reply #21 - 04/01/08 at 10:36:03

Hi Steve,

What about using the DFR-65 instead of the DFR-8?

IP Logged
60_and_up
Seasoned Member

kids should live.

Reply #22 - 04/01/08 at 18:24:59

4 speakers, 4 channel amp, 2 x so,imps, a mic ......

when you get time steve, can you design and build an sq 'boombox' battery operated.

for us folk that like things simple.

please. Smiley

Peace hath higher tests of manhood than battle ever knew. ...
  IP Logged
musgofasa
Seasoned Member

Where is that
monkey? I want to
shoot something!

Reply #23 - 04/02/08 at 12:56:25

Hey Steve,

I see that the speaker chosen for the broadcast side is the HDT. I also see you have it reproducing most of a signal. Have you tried just using the HDT or HDT 2 cab with the driver only and not the tweeter or the full range DFR8 or did you use the full range version? Either way, do you think one might be better than the other?

I am building a set of HDTIIs now and wondering what it might be like to build the ZOBs and add the 4 channel amp/ mic etc later on. Sounds like "reference" could be the word for it by the time it is done.

Keep us posted.

Robert

The graveyard is full of important men
musgofasa   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #24 - 04/02/08 at 23:43:48

Robert,

It remains to be seen which one will be chosen based on further listening tests.  I have been using the HDT MK II's so far for the evaluation.  It will indeed be interesting to see which I prefer. The HDT's would have the same drivers as used in the ZOB.  You would assume that the HDT would likely be the choice and it probably will, however the warmth of the MK II's could be complimenting the ZOB so we shall see.

As for the top end response, on the MK II the tweeter was left hooked up, and sound does come out of it, although you have to listen for it at close range to tell it's even on.  Nevertheless I have learned that very quiet things in the music can be the turning point in it's presentation so I'm not quick to unhook the tweeters and anxious to try the HDT's.

WWW   IP Logged
gexter
Verified Member

Reply #25 - 04/03/08 at 02:51:03

I have not been around all that much but I always have my thread favs that I have to stop by and read. the Decware OB's were exciting from the start and after reading the paper the excitement continues.

Well off to re read it

Thanks Steve.

IP Logged
musgofasa
Seasoned Member

Where is that
monkey? I want to
shoot something!

Reply #26 - 04/03/08 at 12:53:00

That's kinda what I expected Steve,

Conosidering the design goals, I expected the HDT MKIIs to be the better compliment becuase of the fact that most reviews seem to say they are more forgiving. Add that to the "air" that the tweeters you use seem to add to everything I have heard them on, I would think they would work best full range. I can picture myself with three sets of different HDT cabs doing marathon listening sessions and swapping out cabs to see what worked best.

Keep us posted on the results and can't wait for part IV~!

Hey gex!

Take care,
Robert

The graveyard is full of important men
musgofasa   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print