still in the running.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Re: taboo tubes but ehh
Reply #16 - 10/25/08 at 01:08:28

For what it's worth, I have over the years built so many amplifiers that I have realized you can make almost any tube sound simply stunning based on how you design and voice the amplifier.  Since that time I don't get caught up in the current of "what's the best sounding tube" because I understand there isn't one.  The same tube will sound different in every single amplifier so it's really the amplifier that is responsible for making the tube sound great, not the other way around.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
gni
Verified Member

Reply #17 - 10/26/08 at 03:33:22

Steve,

Thank you for that reply.  I am learning!  

Chris

IP Logged
Jeff
Verified Member

Reply #18 - 11/11/08 at 21:52:44

i just got an original Taboo and I'm running a CSP1 in front of it.
i was coming from all solid state stuff. adcom gfa-1a power amp and NAD1020B preamp. cd player is an old NAD a 530 maybe, i forget exactly, it's old. doesn't even have a remote sensor but I like the sound of it ok.

ok, the speakers are some one pi speakers i got used, they are spec'd at 95db but i put a 1ohm resistor in series in the tweeter to pad it down just a bit. i thought this made the speakers pretty balanced and made this change before i got the taboo but while i had the csp1 hooked up to the adcom.

after adding the Taboo to the CSP1, the sound is much more 3dimensional, soundstage is bigger and i like the overall presentation much better. mids sound way better, much more open and the bass sounds better controlled. one thing that i can't really describe is how everything sounds so clean and clear, maybe it's what everyone describes as airy, the idea in my mind is kinda like a perfect darkness or vacuum around the music so it gets all of your attention.

I was worried about 6 watts not being enough and i thought for a while that it wasn't.  
it was loud enough but i would've liked to still have a bit more volume.
sound though was very nice. clean and detailed. i was hearing little things from the recording i've never really noticed before. this was with the 6p15pev tubes. the note the seller put in that bag was that they had 50hours.
rectifier was Mullard 5u4g and driver tube was either a 12at7 or 12au7 by Mullard as well.
in the csp1 i had EH6922 in output sections and 6n1p in driver position with Philco 5u4g rect.

so i decided to swap a few tubes. i put a philco 5y3g in the rectifier position of the csp and then i swapped some tungsram el84 tubes into the Taboo.

there it was...all the volume i wanted with no clipping. just a bit more bass but a little less detail just like Steve describes in the taboo notes. the SV83 were almost to that volume. one which i won't play very often but the el84 got there.

overall i like the EL84 better but i'm wondering if i should swap some different SV83 in there to see if maybe they have a little more output than the sv83 that started clipping...i do have a new (sovtek i think) Cryoset of sv83...still in the shrinkwrapped package...

overall i'm real happy with the sound of my stereo now.

oh yeah, the cd i was playing was Bob Dylan- Time Out of Mind which is actually a pretty nice recording.

only problem now is i was using the phono amp in the NAD 1020B preamp...now i need a phono amp.

Steve, do you have any plans to release a phono kit in the near future???

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #19 - 11/12/08 at 02:22:02

Ironically I am planning to offer at least part of our ZP3 phono stage as a kit in the next couple months or sooner if time allows.

Steve

« Last Edit: 11/12/08 at 02:22:21 by Steve Deckert »  
WWW   IP Logged
Jeff
Verified Member

Reply #20 - 11/12/08 at 16:42:51

that sounds great Steve, just what i need  ;)

IP Logged
Jeff
Verified Member

Reply #21 - 12/02/08 at 17:24:18

i've rolled some of the tubes in the taboo and the csp more.

i switched out the driver tube in the taboo, had a mullard 12au7 in there which i really liked.
put a telefunken 12au7 in, mids got a little nicer while i lost some bass extension is seemed. put the mullard back in after a few days.
last night i swapped in a siemens ecc81 (12at7) that i got for real cheap off ebay in the box, that one sounds good, i think it images a little better than the mullard. i'll leave that in for a bit. noticed last night the mullard is a long plate version with the "D" getter...

i tried swapping in an rca 5v4 in the taboo (mullard 5u4g was in there), took it out after a few minutes as the bass went away some and it sounded real bright, i like that mullard.

after a while last night in the csp i replaced the philco 5y3g for a sylvania 5u4g with long black plates...just like steve said. more dynamic, i got more bass and really really like the way kick drums sound now, really impressive for just 6watts.
the other tubes in the csp right now are some old (tesla i think) that are labeled siemens.

i have some mazda el84 tubes to try in the taboo as well, got a quad of them.
i tried some nos Ei (yugoslavia) tubes and even though they were real cheap ($8 each or somthing) they too sound pretty good.
the driver tubes and the rectifier seem to make the most difference.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print