Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
12/22/14 at 13:36:49

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Mr Valiant's Half Imperial (Read 16062 times)
Valiant

Re: Mr Valiant's Half Imperial
Reply #30 - 09/01/10 at 02:37:56

Correct! The next one is two inch, then shortly after that, it gets bloody big! If you where to build the 'half' Imperial, what driver/s where you intending to - err - drive.

IP Logged
Henry
Verified Member

Reply #31 - 09/01/10 at 10:25:07

12" Electrovoice Wolverine(s) Co-Axial(s).
I have a pair of 8" Wolverine Co-Axials That
may sound impressive in such a cabinet design.

IP Logged
Valiant

Reply #32 - 09/08/10 at 14:26:45

The 12" Electrovoice Wolverine speakers should be great, in which case you may end up building an Imperial about 2 foot wide.
Or, you could build two 1/2 Imperials with an 8" + 12" in each cabinet!
You've got me thinking! I've got a pair of twelves (or is it tens) still in the boxes, hmmm, maybe I could try 2 x 8" +  12" + the Vifa tweeter. As I described in my build, the baffle plate (what the speakers are fixed to), is removable and interchangeable.
If you are concerned about using different sized speakers in the same Imperial, don't be. Check out some of the earlier posts, you'll see some wildly differing differing drivers in the same box.
The design of the Imperial almost makes this mandatory and of course, the original texts where based around this delta.
Me thinks I might be buying a piece of board next week, time I had another play.
Gaz

IP Logged
JimP
Verified Member

Reply #33 - 10/27/10 at 21:58:03

Hi Guys,

I have built 2 half-Imperials and use them for live music.  I simply cut the plans in half, taking into account the thickness of the material I used (3/4").  I have used the speakers separately as 2 mains on either side of our stage, or as one speaker(both halves placed next to each other).  When used as one, they basically act like one full size Imperial, which was my intention (I have a second full size imperial also).  As individuals, the half-imperials sound good but don't have the low bass power of the full.  I loaded all my speakers with 15" Dayton Pro speakers and use a horn for the upper ranges.

Just an FYI if it helps you out.  Good luck and enjoy your imperials, whichever configuration you build!

Jim P

Jim P
Teaching the virtues of horn loading one Open Jam at a time.
  IP Logged
Henry
Verified Member

Reply #34 - 10/28/10 at 04:19:06

Thank you for the encouragement JimP Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print