Send Topic Print
Two Halves (Read 29871 times)
60_and_up
Seasoned Member

kids should live.

Re: Two Halves
Reply #90 - 12/13/07 at 03:46:22

wayan wrote on 12/13/07 at 03:06:13:
ill just leave it the way it is for now.

when i save up enough money ill get around to buying a new amp. or maybe ill be able to find a second hand one in Europe when i go next month.

not sure if ill have much time to look tho, since im going to be up in the Alps snowboarding most of the time Tongue

cheers.

you might get a new amp and still have problems?  gotta know whats wrong b4 you can fix it.
might see you on the snow?

where you going??

1976 skateboarding.

Peace hath higher tests of manhood than battle ever knew. ...
  IP Logged
wayan
Verified Member

Reply #91 - 12/18/07 at 02:12:26

woot! a fellow boarder Tongue

ill be going to Switzerland for about 2 weeks. gonna be there with my brother, father and some other friends, should be a lot of fun!

cheers,
wayan

ps, im sure the only problem is that my amp is under powered... well the imput into my amp isnt powerfull enough, so its output is low, so with a bigger amp, that should be resolved.

i just moved however, and i ended up putting the WO flat on the floor (under my chest of drawers) with the mouth facing my bed. its already better. (still cant find a conventiant spot to put the WO in a face down position Sad )

IP Logged
Bart_West-VL.
Ex Member

Reply #92 - 12/18/07 at 19:10:28

pre-amp?...

B.

IP Logged
wayan
Verified Member

Reply #93 - 12/19/07 at 07:14:54

i was thinking of something like that, just a lil amp to strengthen the signal some, ha ha, wasn't even sure if something like that existed...

i think that would just be too messy... my stereo stack is already getting too tall!! let alone adding another little box for a pre-amp Tongue

i shouldn't have told you guys that my amp wasn't powerful enough, you guys are loosing more sleep over it than me!

I'm getting my speaker stands soon, they will be fixed to the wall on the two corners of my room. should be getting it some time this week. found it at a friends house who wasn't using a pair that he made, and gave them to me. just need some slight adjustments, since those were extending of the wall too far.

ill take another pic of my new room once that is installed! the new house i moved to is great! its nice going home to a proper house Smiley

cheers!

IP Logged
Bart_West-VL.
Ex Member

Reply #94 - 12/20/07 at 08:05:46

Congratulations with the new home! Cool

IP Logged
Blotch
Verified Member

Reply #95 - 12/20/07 at 08:06:50

OOO...I know the new house feeling. I just moved into my new home a couple weeks ago - gratz Smiley. Well...a simple solution, although some peeps don't think they are reliable, would be to purchase a plate amplifier such as this one:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=300-804

Wire the speakers in parallel and viola - 4 ohm load which will match the amps 4 ohm output specs which in this case is 240 watts. I personally doubt the drivers you have will handle 150 watts each for extended periods of time so 120 watts each should be fine. Keep in mind manufacturers of low-mid grade speakers tend to embellish the power ratings. I have had a 100W plate amp running my subwoofer (1 12" radio shack 12" car sub in a 9 cubic foot ported box tuned to 22 Hertz) in our house for 2 years and haven't had a lick of problems other than our kitties chewing on the patch cord. Good luck Smiley

IP Logged
Bart_West-VL.
Ex Member

Reply #96 - 12/20/07 at 18:03:46

Hey wayan! Smiley

Couldn't sleep again  ;) Wink

Anyway, I borrowed a WO 36x24 from a friend, no big-deal-drivers or anything fancy, just a well built MDF enclosure.
Now it's at 4 ohm driven by a 200Wrms amp (Velleman-kit Wink)
Actively filtered and I had to turn down the bass to ‼

I don't know, but maybe you could search for the cause a bit more before you get another pseudo-solution that just might not work, like a pre-amp.
Or borrow one if possible, I do so anytime I can, saves a lot of money. Wink

Ow, by the way, it sounds better then my DB10", maybe I have to get the back chamber even smaller in the DB ... Shocked

IP Logged
wayan
Verified Member

Reply #97 - 12/22/07 at 05:18:44

initially i wanted to use a plate amp for the WO. i thought that it would be the easyest solution, to just have it built straight into the sub (dont think it would fit tho)

however i was not able to find one here in Bali. so thats why i got stuck making my own (being that i wanted to avoid spending lots of money buying an of the shelf amp.

id have to ask around to find someone with a big amp that i can borrow to actually test it out and see if it would be the right solution.

for now im just leaving the setup as it is. just need to get round to eventually buying 3 more speakers for the cinema surround sound. after that, if ive eventually saved up enough$$, i might go and get me a better amp. at the moment im just totally broke (due to paying a years rent for the new house).

have a great week end guys, take care!

IP Logged
60_and_up
Seasoned Member

kids should live.

Reply #98 - 12/22/07 at 16:02:51

try connecting just 1 sub to your amp and play music, then when you connect the second sub the bass should increase, if it decreases something is wrong with the wireing.

probably 1 speaker wired backwards.

i have read about some speakers being marked + and - incorrectly from the factory.

if your speakers are wired wrong youll get no bass brother. Cool

try just 1 speaker on the amp. and make sure the second speaker connected increase output, if it doesnt reverse the conncetion on 1 speaker and try again,

you dont have to open the wo to do this just do it with the external wires.

« Last Edit: 12/22/07 at 16:06:05 by 60_and_up »  

Peace hath higher tests of manhood than battle ever knew. ...
  IP Logged
wayan
Verified Member

Reply #99 - 12/24/07 at 01:29:43

actually, one of the speakers was marked wrongly, they switched the red and black markers around. i noticed the mistake when i was testing the speakers shortly after i bought them. i switched it around and checked all the other connectors, they are all the right way round. ive done the single driver test as well, they are both working. ive switched the polarity around in the end, since i loaded the drivers backwards, and it seems to sound better this way.

lately in the new house, i have had to actually turn the volume of the WO down a touch, the new room layout seems to have improved it a fair bit.

yesterday i finally had the satellite dish hooked back up to my decoder, so we can watch tv again, he he... at the same time i wired the two secondary speakers to the living room. now i just have to hit the A-B button and i can switch the speakers from bedroom to living room, rather than moving the speakers out of the bedroom, like i was doing for the 1st week since we moved.

did a little shopping yesterday, got brackets and fixed the living room speakers to the wall, and did several other little jobs around the house.

when i turn up the speakers in the living room, the WO is really noticeable in the bedroom, since its thumping away on its own, end up having to turn it down a lot, lol

whats great about spending money on any audio system is that it does not go out of date the way for example a computer does! i bought this sound system like 3 years ago now, and just adding the WO now for a relatively cheap price, i get a great improvement, and still i am able to improve the system further by getting the surround speakers for when i watch movies... its definitely money i do not regret spending Smiley  (unlike computers that are outdated in 3 months, and usually break after a year or two)!!  [smiley=ahhhhhhh.GIF]

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print