08/27/14 at 14:03:50

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print
Two Halves (Read 30536 times)
Bart_West-VL.
Ex Member

Re: Two Halves
Reply #75 - 12/10/07 at 17:28:48

My opinion is 80Hz, so your 90Hz Yamaha would do fine, at least for me.
Higher cutoff could let you hear where the sub is located, not a good thing, only if you center the sub it could be ok.

If you double the rms-power, you get +3dB
So you need about 10 times the power to get the right result, or you have to bring down the other channels by 10dB

Bart

IP Logged
60_and_up
Seasoned Member

kids should live.

Reply #76 - 12/11/07 at 00:07:11

wayan wrote on 12/10/07 at 05:20:28:
2nd when ive managed to get enough moneh, ill have to invest in a better amp, preferably one made for Subs.

or just run 2 comletely seperate amps, thats what i do, then late at night you can turn the speakers way down and the wo up and still have beautifull bass in abundance but all very quiet. Cheesy

Peace hath higher tests of manhood than battle ever knew. ...
  IP Logged
60_and_up
Seasoned Member

kids should live.

Reply #77 - 12/11/07 at 00:09:12

wayan wrote on 12/06/07 at 05:15:09:
the amp that powers the WO (the one i built) runs of the "Sub out" from the Yamaha amp that i have (which automatically cuts off at 90 Hz).

~

can you split the audio signal before it gets to the yamaha? and run it straight to the sub amp?  = 2 seperate amps,

this may require  low pass filter of some kind?

unless the amp you built has 1?  (filter)

« Last Edit: 12/11/07 at 00:10:09 by 60_and_up »  

IP Logged
60_and_up
Seasoned Member

kids should live.

Reply #78 - 12/11/07 at 00:13:18

just noticed your subs are dual 4 ohm, if they are wired wrong they may be showing your amp 8 ohms or more = less bass, make sure your subs are wired to show your sub amp 4 ohms.......or less.

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/support_pages.php?page_id=161

IP Logged
60_and_up
Seasoned Member

kids should live.

Reply #79 - 12/11/07 at 00:15:23

if your home made amp is kinda cr@p anyway, try 1 ohm and see what happens, it should make the amp provide much more power to the subs, might kill the amp, but at lower listening levels it might live.????????  and you can fix it if it breaks cos you built it right

IP Logged
wayan
Verified Member

Reply #80 - 12/11/07 at 02:13:02

I've wired the Drivers to get 8 ohms if im not mistaken, cos the amp is xxxW @ 8 ohms.

i tried wiring them up to get 2 and 4 ohms, but both 2 and 4 seemed to make the drivers weaker... it could be that i was doing it wrong, lol...

i wired the double coil driver + to - like this~ (hope it makes sense)

red line (+) to left coil  (+) then i took left coil (-) and wired it up to the right coil (+) then the right coil (-) goes back to as the black line in

that way I'm supposed to get the 8 ohms apparently, and avoid blowing up my amp...

at this point I'm very reluctant to reopen the WO, since its all screwed up tightly, and i would ruin a fair bit of the paint job by opening it up again.

on top of it, if my amp were to break, then id be left with NO amp... which is worse than a bad amp, lolz...

I've tried feeding the WO amp directly from the source, but i don't have the filter to cut off at 80~90 Hz, so the WO sounds rather crappy (but louD!)

cheerio~

« Last Edit: 12/11/07 at 04:32:08 by wayan »  
  IP Logged
60_and_up
Seasoned Member

kids should live.

Reply #81 - 12/11/07 at 04:01:02

wayan wrote on 12/11/07 at 02:13:02:
I've tried feeding the WO amp directly from the source, but i don't have the filter to cut off at 80~90 Hz, so the WO sounds rather crappy (but louD!)

cheerio~

if you point it towards the floor or into a corner, most of the higher imformation kinda gets filterd out and all thats left is bass.

p.s. you cant wire 2 x dual 4 ohm subs too 8 ohms.  can you get a dmm (digital multimeter) and see how many ohms your drivers are showing the amp?

also you dont have to open the wo to mess with the ohm load, just rewire the wires outside of it.

IP Logged
wayan
Verified Member

Reply #82 - 12/11/07 at 07:00:03

Ok, so here is my visual explanation:

by doing this i was told i would get 8 ohlms, which would work better with the amp that i had made.

how do you propose that i rewire it without opening the WO  to get 2 or 4 ohlms? he he

sadly i don't have any nifty ohlm-meter, so i cant really test it that way.

wish i could test my amp to find out how weak it is...

IP Logged
Bart_West-VL.
Ex Member

Reply #83 - 12/11/07 at 17:43:33

You DO get 8 Ohm but what 60 says is, the WO with both drivers will get you 4 Ohm.
What you're saying is, the resistance of ONE driver, not the total box.
You drive it with a stereo amp, each driver one channel.
60 drives his with one mono amp, both drivers together.

Did this come over understandable?  :-[ Sorry for the poor vocabulary.

IP Logged
Bart_West-VL.
Ex Member

Reply #84 - 12/11/07 at 17:45:22

Watch out with these driver, each coil handles about 75Wrms, right?
So never put more then 150Wrms at one driver when using both coils.

B.

IP Logged
60_and_up
Seasoned Member

kids should live.

Reply #85 - 12/11/07 at 18:49:56

a multimeter costs $10,

is your subwoofer amp stereo or mono?

you should have 4 wires coming out of the wo. that means you can connect to the amp 2 different ways,

paralel or series.

you have each speaker wired for 8 ohms so,

paralell = 4 ohms final load,

series = 16 ohms.

i think Huh

its worth trying,

my understanding is that if the amp doesnt like the load it will go into protect mode and not just blow up   Smiley

IP Logged
60_and_up
Seasoned Member

kids should live.

Reply #86 - 12/11/07 at 18:51:14

i wonder if both drivers connected to 1 channel of the stereo amp at 4 ohms would be better?

IP Logged
wayan
Verified Member

Reply #87 - 12/12/07 at 03:50:52

i kept the wires that go to the two drivers separate. if you look at the image i posted of my finished WO you will see that i have two connectors, one for each driver.

the amp i have is a stereo amp. the SUB out from my Yamaha amp is mono, so i put a splitter on it, and then run the "stereo" wires into the stereo amp i built, and then the amp has two output connectors, which i wire up to each driver on the WO.

so what i think i have is practically two 8 ohlms mono amps powering two 8 ohlm drivers that is fed from the same source... could splitting the mono sub output into two separate channels be a cause for the seemingly low power of my WO?

there, thats my little sketch of the day, depicting how i have wired everything together.

peace,

ps, i guess i could buy myself a multimeter, they can be useful for many other things. how would i use one to check the ohlm of a driver? O.o  

never owned one, and hardly ever used them sept to try and see if it could detect a current going through my finger if i poked myself hard enough, ha ha.

« Last Edit: 12/12/07 at 03:54:34 by wayan »  
  IP Logged
Bart_West-VL.
Ex Member

Reply #88 - 12/12/07 at 18:08:37

You don't loose power by splitting it, because the voltage stays the same when you split it.

I would recommend against wiring to two times two Ohm, you'll blow the amp.

B.

IP Logged
wayan
Verified Member

Reply #89 - 12/13/07 at 03:06:13

ill just leave it the way it is for now.

when i save up enough money ill get around to buying a new amp. or maybe ill be able to find a second hand one in Europe when i go next month.

not sure if ill have much time to look tho, since im going to be up in the Alps snowboarding most of the time Tongue

cheers.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print