08/20/14 at 05:59:08

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Send Topic Print
Two Halves (Read 30421 times)
wayan
Verified Member

Re: Two Halves
Reply #45 - 11/23/07 at 06:30:55

im not sure i understand your last post bart, do you mean that i can just power the speakers directly with a 12~20V AC power adapter, and get the 50~60 hz (which is the alternating frequency)?

thats pretty nifty, wouldn't have thought of that one...

however i went to the webpage that 60_and_up mentioned, there they have a lot of audio files with different frequencies. i think ill try that out when the WO is done getting painted. not in the mood to drag that thing back into the office again from the workshop, its such a mission to move it! lol

the biggest problem with testing it around here is that there is a lot of glass windows that were rattling like hell last time i was testing the WO, and it doesn't let me listen to a clean sound.

hopefully the paint job is done soon. now that its finally finished, its annoying that i cant test it out properly at home Sad my girlfriend wont let me take it home without first painting it, cos she says it looks too ugly at the moment, he he

thanks for the info guys.

IP Logged
Bart_West-VL.
Ex Member

Reply #46 - 11/23/07 at 15:14:07

Yep, that's what I wanted to say.
Of course that web page, from 60_and_up, is much better.
My approach is the easy way to hear if it is putting something out there or maybe even rattle a few windows. Roll Eyes
Grin

Just listening to bass is only... 'bass' of course.
If the windows are a problem, turn the volume down, till they don't rattle any more and then put you're head in there. Shocked
Cheesy

B.

Sorry, I guess it's the weekend that does this. Tongue

IP Logged
wayan
Verified Member

Reply #47 - 11/24/07 at 04:51:25

yep, already did the "head in WO" rattle test, and it seemed to be quite clean. the additional sealant and twelve screws stopped the driver mounts from moving, for now!

i just finished with the base coat for the WO, and have started with several coats of black paint. just gave it a sanding down again. another layer or two of black to go, and then a finishing coat to protect the paint should do the job.

i was browsing through the Hafele catalog and came by some furniture feet. i was thinking of using some maybe like this one:

that way i was thinking of facing the mouth of the WO downwards, so that it wouldn't collect so much dust, and also maybe not look like a star-trek space ship... would that affect the sound?

but then i would have the cable inputs on the top, also not a pleasant site... maybe ill have it sitting horizontal, and then i can use the WO as a table... sounds like a better plan i think. maybe ill cover the top with a 6~8mm glass sheet to protect it from scratches~

any thoughts regarding the feet / table thing?

IP Logged
Bart_West-VL.
Ex Member

Reply #48 - 11/24/07 at 11:44:01

Cables going thou the mouth would solve the cable problem when using the wicked one standing upright.
Try it for the sound, just put it on two chairs for hight.

Using it as table and keeping dust away is easy if you put some speaker cloth over the mouth.

Doing good, I like your project!
Thanks for the effort, putting up all those pictures! It's giving me a lot of inspiration too.

B.

IP Logged
Gexter
Ex Member

Reply #49 - 11/24/07 at 19:58:16

About the legs. Could be retro add a little red in there maybe some white and you have designer retro furniture!
because of the design of the legs use all the holes and some good sized screws and anything else that would make them stronger. the legs would spread out if there was too much weight on them.
The ideal height IMHO is about 4 inches off its face. If you use it as a sofa table behind. bolt it to back of the sofa if you can.

I like the WO on its face whenever I can. I even place the wo32 on its face although its not as big as difference as the WO on its face.

Enjoy building while you can, life can change.

IP Logged
wayan
Verified Member

Reply #50 - 11/26/07 at 01:17:22

by "on its face" you mean having the mouth facing down?

i think I'm abandoning that idea, the cable connectors are already in place, and the top is practically sealed on, so i don't plan to wreck the paint job and trying to patch up the holes where the panels are so that i can run the cables through the mouth.

using the WO as a little table makes more sense. since the space it takes up wouldn't be put to waste. I'm just wondering now how much it will vibrate, and if stuff i put on it will eventually fall off! lol

could my two amp's, DVD player and satellite decoder cope if i put it on top of the WO? i don't plan to make my ears bleed with it, so it shouldn't vibrate too much, I'm just worried that the great big magnets on the drivers might mess up electronic signals?

i should have some pictures by this afternoon of a semi completed black painted WO.

btw, if i were to put the speaker fabric on the mouth, would it not decrease the quality of the sound? ill probably leave it open at this point, my bedroom shouldn't be too dusty, and a little wipe down won't be too hard to handle, he he.

and hopefully my life wont change so drastically that i cant build anything... i've always loved working in any workshop, and don't want that to change Smiley

IP Logged
Bart_West-VL.
Ex Member

Reply #51 - 11/26/07 at 16:51:38

wayan wrote on 11/26/07 at 01:17:22:
could my two amp's, DVD player and satellite decoder cope if i put it on top of the WO?
Take three or four springs, put them under a solid plate like marble, granite or steel and this would be your table on top of the WO to put the DVD player on and the rest too actually.
Vibration is never good for components, but the DVD would possibly not play long at all, skipping all the time.
The rest might just stand it for a year or more ... or not. Roll Eyes

i don't plan to make my ears bleed with it, Good for your girlfriend, she would have to clean it all up Kiss so it shouldn't vibrate too much, I'm just worried that the great big magnets on the drivers might mess up electronic signals? Iron plate on springs Wink

i should have some pictures by this afternoon of a semi completed black painted WO.

btw, if i were to put the speaker fabric on the mouth, would it not decrease the quality of the sound?
No!
Bart

« Last Edit: 11/26/07 at 16:52:26 by Bart_West-VL. »  
  IP Logged
wayan
Verified Member

Reply #52 - 11/27/07 at 06:03:48

meh, metal plate on springs is just getting a little too complicated. i think ill just have it standing vertically on its side then, which is the position that will take the least space.

how would i go about attaching the speaker fabric to the front? i would imagine id need to build a frame either the size of the mouth,  or maybe the whole front, where i would stretch the fabric, and then id need to mount that to the WO... how~ not sure yet. Tongue

i don't really like the idea of my hardware falling apart due to the vibrations lol, and i totally forgot that the dvd player would definitely skip and stop playing every time there was some heavy bass!

i had to buy another can of black paint, cos the first one was about to finish. hopefully we will have it done today...!

Front view.

Back view, with the cable connectors still covered.

down the throat.

well its getting close! i think it needs another coat ortwo of black, and then the finishing protective coat.

cheers,
w

IP Logged
Bart_West-VL.
Ex Member

Reply #53 - 11/27/07 at 19:05:37

Cool, almost done.
One thought: Why didn't you fill the little holes in the particle board before finishing?

I would get a frame the size of the whole throat side and then use magnets to fix that stealth thingy on there  :D

IP Logged
wayan
Verified Member

Reply #54 - 11/28/07 at 00:55:02

i did try and fill in the end grain of the particle board, first with epoxy, then with some wood filler... the epoxy was just soaked into the board, so there were still many rough patches, and the wood filler just didn't do a very good job, i think a lot of it fell out when we sanded it down. the best would have been to use another layer or two of epoxy (like i did on several of the other edges which turned out perfect) but that would have taken days, cos the epoxy we have is the 12 hour drying one~

now that its painted however, those bits are quite noticeable, lol... ah well, cant have everything right the first time round~

i was thinking of making a frame for the fabric the size of whole side as well actually, but i wasn't sure how to fasten the frame to the WO. how would i go about doing that with magnets? i cant think of a place here in Bali that sells strong magnets... only those fridge post it magnets :S and they are surely not be strong enough. i would need like eight powerful little magnets, to fix into each corner... hmm, other option is just to use some small screws i guess~

will keep you guys posted.
cheers

IP Logged
Deform
Verified Member

Reply #55 - 11/28/07 at 02:17:24

Well it's probably a bit late and so on but there is a WO thread and there is a 'halve' WO i found.

http://www.mobileelectronics.com.au/forums/index.php?showtopic=77268&st=180&star...

well i thought it might fit here.

IP Logged
Bart_West-VL.
Ex Member

Reply #56 - 11/28/07 at 17:29:49

Velcro! Wink

IP Logged
wayan
Verified Member

Reply #57 - 11/29/07 at 02:29:46

d-uh~ Velcro!

thanks Bart, that saves me a lot of skull scratching action Tongue

we have plenty velcro here that i can use.

the frame for the fabric is ready, at this point i only need to glue on the fabric, and then fix the velcro.

thanks for that Smiley
peace,

IP Logged
wayan
Verified Member

Reply #58 - 12/03/07 at 09:57:42

Okay, Mission Complete!

as you can see i have gone with Bart's advice and glued/stapled Velcro to the cover. its strong enough to keep it there, and being a soft connector, i wont have to worry about there being any unnecessary rattling.

i tested the WO with the various Test frequencies that i got from http://www.realmofexcursion.com/ as far as i could tell, there were no problems with the sound, they seemed to be clean. again because of the thin office windows it was hard to listen to the WO without the annoying rattle of the glass.

i was able to hear/feel the WO as low as 20 Hz. below that i wasn't really able to hear anything (maybe if i went outside and stuck my head into the WO i might have heard something), but i was happy enough with the throb that i got at 20Hz from inside the office (i left the WO outside due to the many thin glass windows, that i didn't want to risk breaking, and a touch of respect to the other office staff trying to work, lol).

for the feet i decided to just glue adhesive carpet glides for now, since i am still not sure in what position i want to ultimately place it. for now its going to be in the vertical position.

i hope everyone enjoyed following my step by step WO building experience. its been a long process, but we have finally come to end, he he. now i just have to resist jumping of a cliff when i find out that my Amp has a defective Sub Out line (got the feeling that its not working, lol).

Ill post my feedback regarding the sound experience once i get it all working with my home sound system.

cheers,
W.

IP Logged
Bart_West-VL.
Ex Member

Reply #59 - 12/03/07 at 18:58:59

Very nice work, especially for your first build!!

I forgot, or missed it, but how large did you build it? Full size (36x36) ?

20Hz is very low for this box, but it's good that you still hear it, but I think it will be a lot lower in volume at this frequency!

Rattling window can be fixed with caulk.

Congratulations!! This worked out very well, I'm jealous! Cool

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Send Topic Print