Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
08/22/14 at 07:07:05

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
6" driver In a WO (completed) (images) (Read 11605 times)
Deform
Verified Member

Re: 6" driver In a WO (completed) (images)
Reply #15 - 08/27/07 at 03:38:32

Humm, the site claims an Fs of 39 Hz i'll give you the link if you wanted to have a look.
http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=CW2135&CATID=&keywords=woofer&SPECIA...
I think that it has potential perhaps with a set of computer speakers or a small home thearter set-up. No in-house use from it currently but when i find a moment i'll see what it can do inside.

Cheers Cheesy

IP Logged
Bart_West-VL.
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 08/27/07 at 09:37:52

That doesn't look bad for 6.5" drivers.
Of course, you can't expect results like you would from a set of 10" drivers.

IP Logged
BigAir
Verified Member

Reply #17 - 10/06/07 at 05:34:20

Hmm, according to my calculations and using Steve's method for scaling, a WO for 6's would be about about 4" tall.  That would make it impossilbe for 6's to fit.   Sure, you could change the width and depth, but that would make the all important horn length radically different and severly throw off the tuning.  It mght make for an outstanding midbass box, but I don't think it would work well as a true sub box.  8-)

« Last Edit: 10/06/07 at 05:35:55 by BigAir »  
  IP Logged
Deform
Verified Member

Reply #18 - 10/11/07 at 04:35:00

Oh didn't i mention it is 4" tall Tongue
Yes i've heard it all before and in know how sound works and yes what bass actually is... and that 6" will never be able to give effective results, but you are forgetting that we are all different people and what sounds good to me might'n sound good to you.
Personally i wouldn't use the design that i ended up with for a midbass box because i think that yes the tuning is completely off and it sounds sh1te for dedicated midbass.

« Last Edit: 10/11/07 at 04:36:14 by Deform »  
  IP Logged
BigAir
Verified Member

Reply #19 - 10/12/07 at 18:23:13

Deform wrote on 10/11/07 at 04:35:00:
Oh didn't i mention it is 4" tall Tongue

Yes, you did.  However, you also said that it's only 18"x18".  That's the problem.  It should be 36x36x4.  I'd try it again with the same drivers and just build it Steve's specs except for the height.  The toughest cuts would be the angled baffles that would be needed.  However, if you already built one that's 4 inches tall, you should be able to do the baffles again.
By the way, after looking at your pictures, it looks like you have a 6" driver in a 4" thick WO.  How did you do that?  Either those aren't 6's or your box is thicker than 4".

« Last Edit: 10/12/07 at 18:56:35 by BigAir »  
  IP Logged
Blotch
Verified Member

Reply #20 - 10/22/07 at 04:39:47

You have to scale ALL dimensions not just the width/depth or just the height. I posted a long time ago as well as others a way of scaling a wo. 20X20X8 on the outside is slightly smaller than my calculation of 23.4X23.4X8.125 but is prolly close enough Smiley Wonder what,if any, difference it would make sound-wise if ya rounded up the dimensions to 24X24X9 on the outside.....Hmmmmmm

IP Logged
BigAir
Verified Member

Reply #21 - 10/23/07 at 04:28:22

Blotch wrote on 10/22/07 at 04:39:47:
You have to scale ALL dimensions not just the width/depth or just the height.

Not according to Steve.  
Keep in mind that if you want a box that is half the size you would only scale one dimension by half.  Anything other than the height and you would change the horn length and throw the tuning way off.  Normally, horns use the size of the cone to determine the size of the horn from the very start to the finish.  The length of the horn will change the tuning.  That's why Steve says if you want to use a 12" driver, just scale the height up by 2 inches.  For an 8, you go down by 2 inches.  Think of it as volume.  Scale the volume by some mulitple that corresponds to the driver cone area, keep the horn length the same and you should be golden.  If you want a higher tune, then shorten the length.  However, don't expect your WO to play as deep unless you keep the horn length the same.
You should go back in the archives and look up what others (including myself) have done. Anything above a 12 or below a 8 is pretty difficult to make work, but it can be done.

IP Logged
Gexter
Ex Member

Reply #22 - 10/24/07 at 04:36:55

Lots of post for me today.
I have to step in and agree with Big Air. I have scaled boxes and also just shortened the height. I have used the full size dimension except the height with much more success.
And even that took some tweaking. We all do like different sound in a sub but few of us like a midbass heavy box. This will occur with a smaller driver and smaller fold.
When you run up to tens and bigger drivers with a low VAS  you can get away with scaling the enclosure.

But do what you like and if it make you happy then its all good.

IP Logged
bnew63
Verified Member

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #23 - 10/25/07 at 00:58:06

I built a 6" WO and it wound up 24x24x 7.5 OD.
It won't hold a candle to it's bigger brother but it's still a descent(cheap)sub.

Brian

IP Logged
Deform
Verified Member

Reply #24 - 11/05/07 at 02:01:50

been a while for me...

well sorry no it's not scaled to anything specific i simply halved all of the measurements to 18x18 then added extra for the 1/2" MDF and it ended up 20x20 with a height near 8" total.

I stress that this is my first ever attempt at woodwork and box making for that matter.

I know that as soon as you start scaling things like this it will never be the same as the original and that i cant directly compare this to the WO but that was the design it was based on. I want to have a go at making more horns and trialing more WO designs and a WO32 aswell. But for the moment the shed it full of my brothers gear because he decided to move house and borrow the shed.

Thanks for all the input and i'll let you know when i can start building a better WO.

IP Logged
BigAir
Verified Member

Reply #25 - 11/05/07 at 15:02:51

Deform wrote on 11/05/07 at 02:01:50:
I stress that this is my first ever attempt at woodwork and box making for that matter.

Deform, I commend you for experimenting with box design.  Where would we be today if people like yourself and most of the forum dwellers didn't do any experimenting?
Good job and keep up the good work.

IP Logged
Blotch
Verified Member

Reply #26 - 11/15/07 at 07:50:32

Damn...after thinking about it - yall are definetly right about the scaling providing you want to keep the same frequency response. I'm not sure my little 4" experiment drivers would do a full scale wo justice considering the driver fs is around 75hz. Think that was the main reason I scaled all the dimensions - trying to keep the design within the drivers useful range Smiley Now I HAVE to build another - be awhile though, just bought a house and the garage needs the interior finished Smiley

IP Logged
AussieDB
Verified Member

Reply #27 - 11/28/07 at 23:15:04

Hi guys, First post yay!!

I live in AUS too, the link to the driver is here.

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=CW2135&CATID=15&keywords=&SPECIAL=&f...

were lucky to have a product from jaycar that is so cheap but effective! they have so many things to choose from. You can get these drivers for under $30 from the right places!

by the way specs are:

- Nominal impedance: 8ohms
- Power handling: 80 watts RMS
- Freq range: 39Hz - 3000Hz
- Sensitivity: 87dB 1watt 1metre
- Voice Coil Resistance (Re): 6.9ohms
- Resonant frequency (fs): 39Hz
- Mechanical Q factor (Qms): 6.027
- Electrical Q factor (Qes): 0.466
- Total Q factor (Qts): 0.433
- Equivalent Volume (Vas): 20.9Lt
- Cone Area (square metres): 0.0133