Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
08/31/14 at 05:27:22

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Doubling..Wait No Tripling the Number of WOs I Own (Read 6198 times)
JRock
Verified Member

Doubling..Wait No Tripling the Number of WOs I Own
04/30/07 at 16:32:02

Thats right ladys and gents- I just began construction on several more Wicked Ones...

I have built roughly 6 so far, but I only own 1 now-a-days.  So I thought, I need to remedy this situation, and the build was concieved.

First off, My current WO is loaded with 2 Infinity Reference Series 1032W.  They pound like no other, and the WO dominates any enclosure I have ever had them in.

I figured since the current one was such a performer, I would build a second one exactly like it to replace the weak sealed enclosure in my daily driver.  So I will place my other 2 Infinity 1032W in the second WO I will own, the first one I am building now.

For the Third WO- a pair of Dayton Series II:
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=295-110&scqty...
Powered off a slightly oversized Planet Audio VX3002, each sub will get their 250 wrms, and then some- with roughly 300wrms going to each sub.

I have already cut everything for two WOs and assembled one WO- no subs loaded though.  No pictures of stacks of wood or the finished WO- but I plan to snap pictures of the build process of the 2 WO I am building.

Thought I would let everyone who cares know- and offer a chance for anyone who is hesitant to build a WO or needs construction advice to reply here and request certain pictures, or descriptions of trouble spots.  Basically- if you need help on part of your WO- let me know which part and I can hopefully shed some light on the subject while I build my 8th WO...

Relax427   IP Logged
Adrian
Seasoned Member

Formerly known as
'Adrian D.'

Re: Doubling..Wait No Tripling the Number of WOs I
Reply #1 - 04/30/07 at 20:09:22

nice initiative. i'm waiting for pics.
btw, did you buy the amp from a guy called Acidburn ?

Too much bass never hurts, or does it ?
  IP Logged
aznboi3644
Seasoned Member

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #2 - 05/01/07 at 02:54:40

I really wanna build a WO...but I suck at cutting the angles right.

Any trick to this??? Or is there a certain angle that you cut all of yours????

I wanna build a couple 36x36 WO's cuz I have an Explorer and can fit it

IP Logged
60_and_up
Seasoned Member

kids should live.

Reply #3 - 05/01/07 at 05:57:16

aznboi3644 wrote on 05/01/07 at 02:54:40:
I really wanna build a WO...but I suck at cutting the angles right.

Any trick to this??? Or is there a certain angle that you cut all of yours????

I wanna build a couple 36x36 WO's cuz I have an Explorer and can fit it

cut 1 piece at a time and you can build anything. its not brain surgery, get a saw and a tape measure and get  busy.

Peace hath higher tests of manhood than battle ever knew. ...
  IP Logged
seldom
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 05/01/07 at 06:24:13

When my friend and I built our WO, we made all the cuts straight and planed the angles!  Yes, even the extreme angles of the V wedge. And it turned out pristine perfect - not a gap to be seen.  Took two days to build, but not bad for rank amateurs!

IP Logged
Adrian
Seasoned Member

Formerly known as
'Adrian D.'

Reply #5 - 05/01/07 at 21:42:20

i made all the angles on my wo using an orbital sander and a wood rasp.

IP Logged
musgofasa
Seasoned Member

Where is that
monkey? I want to
shoot something!

Reply #6 - 05/02/07 at 01:35:57

Wow,
I thought I was bad. I have probably built 10 or 12 WOs total too. It is fun after the second or third one.
The way I do the angles is to draw the plans out on the top and bottom boards on both sides first. The I take pieces of 3/4 board and draw out the lines where the boards will go using the actual wood. (This gives me the lines to put the nails and screws in later.
To get the angles, I simply took the boards that were to be cut and sat them down on the top or bottom in position and marked them on either side. Then I took and connected the lines on the side of the board and used that to line up the saw. I haven't built one in years, but as I recall, when you build the box 36x36 all the cuts are the same angle. Either that or there were only two angles (maybe because of the deep V?)

I know another guy who did the whole angle calculations on his and went by that. Of course this guy used 1" wood and routed the inside panels into the top and bottom like a tongue and groove fit before nailing and gluing. He was more fanatical than me and most call me a perfectionist lol.

Take care,
Robert

The graveyard is full of important men
musgofasa   IP Logged
aznboi3644
Seasoned Member

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #7 - 05/02/07 at 06:19:34

sweet...well thanks.

I'm getting a random orbital sander here soon...I'll post up pics of my WO

IP Logged
JRock
Verified Member

Reply #8 - 05/02/07 at 16:44:08

Yeah- the 36 x 36 version yields all the angles identical I believe.  Both of the WOs I am building now are 24 x 36.  Each angle is different, but only off by 3 degree or so from the largest one to the smallest one.  

For cutting the V- I actually "butted" the two pieces together rather then cut two identical pieces with that extreme angle on them.  

To measure and cut the angles I use a sliding t- Bevel.  It allows me to do what Musgofasa(layout the entire outline on the top and bottom) then match the bevel up to the layout.  Then I just crank the blade on my tablesaw over until it matched the T-Bevel and make the cut.  

Another trick is to cut the angles on the pieces with one square end first, then cut the square end to the exact length you need.  

As I cut the pieces for both of these WOs I got to do everything 4 times.  It was a blast, but is hard to keep pieces straight, so I label alot of stuff.  Especially since the subs require different sized cutouts- I don't want two different subs fitting in each WO because I mixed the baffle's up.

I should resume construction this weekend at the latest...  Pics by then for sure.

Relax427   IP Logged
JRock
Verified Member

Reply #9 - 05/07/07 at 05:45:36

Well first off- the mess picture!

Next- a close up to show you all what I was trying to describe with the V cut-

Heres a overview- (sorry for the motion sickness)

Heres a picture of the Dayton's going in the one WO.  It gives you an idea of their build quality.  The speakers also say they are made by eminence if anybody cared.

Heres a shot of the insides getting painted.  I plan to cover most of both the WOs with plastic laminates by Formica, but these are areas deep inside the box I don't want to attempt to cover.

And finally, the cars the WOs will go in!  First up is my car, a 2002 Nissan Sentra.  It will be recieving the WO with the Infinitys in it:

And a 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix.  It gets the Dayton WO:

If you layout the Wicked One correctly, and cut the V pieces like I pictured above- the adjacent angles are the same.  In other words- the angles in the same color circles should be the same no matter what size between 24 and 36 the WO is.  In the 36 x 36 version(If I remember correctly) all the angles are the same.

Relax427   IP Logged
Adrian
Seasoned Member

Formerly known as
'Adrian D.'

Reply #10 - 05/07/07 at 11:08:31

excelent build Smiley
that's just how i did the V. seemed the easiest way.

IP Logged
musgofasa
Seasoned Member

Where is that
monkey? I want to
shoot something!

Reply #11 - 05/07/07 at 18:26:27

Yup,
I forgot about the V, but I did it the same way. Made more sense than trying to get the edges to meet in the middle.
The angles aren't exactly the same in the 36" WO. I was talking to Bob about that this weekend and he confirmed that they are slightly different. I think part of that thinking is the V being so sharp, but even without it I think there is a 1 or 2 degree difference in the front, back and middle angles.
Great job. I can't wait to hear the review on the Daytons in this box in a car.

Let us know how it turns out!

Take care,
Robert

The graveyard is full of important men
musgofasa   IP Logged
seldom
Verified Member

Reply #12 - 05/08/07 at 01:31:31

This is how we did the V as well - the angles still count as "extreme" to a person who has to hand plane them down to the right angle...  I can't imagine cutting the pieces to make a symmetrical joint at the V; it seems to be generally accepted to do the joint this way.  There's something quite elegant and satisfying about the WO, is there not?  I always like to see build pics of it!

IP Logged
JRock
Verified Member

Reply #13 - 05/08/07 at 06:34:38

Ah yes- the elegance of the WO.  It is just amazing as you start fromt he begining and get to the final steps...  Something about how simplistic the layout and cuts are in relation to the unique design and awesome sound.

I too can't wait for the Daytons- they haven't even seen power yet.  I have a feeling they will rock my world.  Only problem is I will have to try to trade with my friend, and if they sound good I doubt that will happen.

Relax427   IP Logged
SQ-eek
Verified Member

Reply #14 - 05/19/07 at 04:30:49

Is it normal to have the open cone facing into the sealed enclosure and the basket/spider of the speaker out into the horn, the baffle could b moved to correct volume of course but I have always had the basket in the sealed protion of a bandpass box out of habit I suppose and thinking the sound will be cleaner? Has anyone anyone tried isobarik/face to face loading of 4 subs in the same enclosure? I also see most of the builds on here use different subs with what seems to be the same WO design, does the sealed section need to be varied to match the speakers own specs or am I on the wrong track with who the horns operate?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print