Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
10/01/14 at 07:26:07

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
DECWARE SILVER REFERENCE INTERCONNECTS - DSR II (Read 24277 times)
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

DECWARE SILVER REFERENCE INTERCONNECTS - DSR II
03/12/07 at 13:39:19

I have been enjoying a pair of these new cables for over a month now.  I have the cable placed between my DEC685 and my ZBox, and it replaced a cable which was the previous version of the Silver Reference interconnect, the DSRI.

I am happy to report that this is a fantastic value of a cable.  The cable sounds better or as good in comparison to cables that cost three times the cost that I have on hand.  It has a clarity and an openness that is stunning in use with a fine system.  There just isn't any accenting of any frequency levels.  High, mid, and low are all presented with an honest and open feel.  This somehow frees the music to both flow and to fill.  There is less of an etched soundstaging, and a natural feel to the presentation.

I did not really expect to experience a profound difference between version I and version II of this great cable, but I did.  In comparison, there's a slight emphasis on the high frequencies on version I and that adds a slight "hifi" feel to the sound.  That also seems to lead to a bit of rigidity to some imaging.  This is absent in the new cable and as a result the new cable is slightly more relaxed and nautral sounding--to me, in the same place in my system.

And version II is much more of an attractive cable than version I--to me.  I like the looks of the woven covering.  Pretty cables!

I know that eventually I will purchase another set of version II to replace my version I in my future system, which will include a CSP2.  Now that I KNOW the sonic improvement version II provides, I'll always have a motivation to replace my version I cable.

Kudoes Steve for improving on a great design!

« Last Edit: 03/12/07 at 13:39:54 by Lon »  

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
DaveCan
Ex Member

Re:  DECWARE SILVER REFERENCE INTERCONNECTS -
Reply #1 - 03/13/07 at 05:47:37

This is great to see your report of the DSRII's Lon.  When I ordered my Taboo last summer I also ordered a pair of 0.5 meter  DSRII cables at the same time, as it just seemed like the right thing to do.The cable I was using before to my cd player was a fairly decent fiber optic but the DSR rca cable just blows it away, glad to to see someone who's ear's I respect feeling good about these cables also..  Dave Smiley

IP Logged
MikeW
Seasoned Member

Late great James
Jamerson

Reply #2 - 03/13/07 at 13:59:15

Thanks Lon for the great observations. This cable is on my short list to try.

One of my favorite philosophical tenets is that people will agree with you only if they already agree with you. You do not change people's minds.
Zen Select
Zen CSP
Ah Njoe Tjoeb

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #3 - 03/13/07 at 15:45:42

Dave, not surprising that you also really appreciate this cable.

It is sort of. . . seductive.   Wink

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #4 - 03/13/07 at 15:47:59

Mike, do be sure to audition it before you spend that kind of money and certainly more on another cable!

I have a pair of PS Audio XStream Statement interconnects that I really love that run from the ZBox to the Decware EL34 Monoblocks right now. . . . I think they're the equal of the Decware, while being slightly different.  I bought them heavily discounted (thank goodness) and they ended up costing the same price as the same length of the DSRIIs would be, but the usual price on those was three times that or more!  These are the best two cables I've owned.  They better another cable I've loved for years, the TARA Labs "Referrence," that was about twice the price of the same length of DSRIIs. (I now use the TARA Labs cables from the Sony DVD recorder I have to the Trinitron cd. . . sure makes the little tv speakers sound great!  In the future I'll run that TARA Labs into the CSP2 instead of the tv).

« Last Edit: 03/14/07 at 15:40:10 by Lon »  

IP Logged
Corey
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 03/20/07 at 18:45:03

Lon wrote on 03/12/07 at 13:39:19:
It has a clarity and an openness that is stunning in use with a fine system.  There just isn't any accenting of any frequency levels.  High, mid, and low are all presented with an honest and open feel.

I have owned both the DSR and DSRII as well and have to agree that the DSRII is a much more open cable. Still, Lon, I urge you to try the MAC Braided IC. It does everything the DSRII does as far as frequency balance and soundstaging is concerned but in addition to offering a great open sound like you describe, it also offers a greater immediacy.  I did not expect that, I expected the trade off of a overall warmer sound and smoother soundstage but I am getting greater perceived detail AND an immediate bloom with the MAC cable that makes the music more lively and realistic. This really shocked me since the MAC cable is copper and the DSR is silver. Silver usually has a greater presence to it.

I think you would really enjoy the added immediacy through your triode strapped EL34's. The Decware output iron really allows these differences to shine through.  Actually talking to Steve at MAC about his Silver Braided IC might be a good idea as well. Still the MAC Braided IC is $30. All you need to do is buy some tech flex and some shrink tubing and you can easily duplicate the DSRII look, all in a $35 cable.

Quote:
 This somehow frees the music to both flow and to fill.  There is less of an etched soundstaging, and a natural feel to the presentation.

Yup, the DSR was etched. I am very curious to hear what Trevor has to say about it in his system using the DEC 343. His speakers are the same as your's and his SE84C is voiced very close to yours. The DEC 685 was a touch hot with the DSR in my system. That is why I believe the Braided IC is such a wonderful design in this particular application. I believe the topology of the braid naturally filters the digital top end which contributes to the etching.

Corey

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #6 - 03/20/07 at 19:02:40

Corey,

I'm happy with the DSRIIs and really don't want to try MAC cables.  But thanks for the information.

IP Logged
Corey
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 03/20/07 at 22:14:07

No problem, I just figured you'd be open to saving $140 and gaining a tad better low bass and immediacy.

Corey

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #8 - 03/20/07 at 22:17:57

Nope, not open!  :)  We have different systems and I'm not certain we'd get the same results, and as I'm so happy with mine I don't want to bother right now.  Don't yet know how much I'll need another cable. . .no CSP2 in hand yet.

Also, I'm just trying to keep my money with Decware for now, and if I need another cable, I'll likely buy a Decware one.  I like having a system that has more and more Decware components within.  And the more I add, the better it sounds.  :)

« Last Edit: 03/21/07 at 14:22:52 by Lon »  

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #9 - 04/03/07 at 12:52:44

Well, I reconnected the DSR Is to the Zbox (from the DEC685) in anticipation of the arrival of the CSP2 in a few days (if not tomorrow).

In comparison to the DSR IIs the reinstated Is have just a slight emphasis on lower  highs and seem. . .more dynamic.  Just a tad. Also a bit drier.  BOTH are great cable designs.

I'm considering leaving these in place and running the IIs between the Zbox and the CSP2. . . I think that may be the best combination?

IP Logged
Tr3vWh0r3

heartache every
moment

Reply #10 - 04/04/07 at 03:27:21

"Yup, the DSR was etched. I am very curious to hear what Trevor has to say about it in his system using the DEC 343."

I think the 343 is said to be a little warmer sounding then the 685, so the cables might be just what I need. I feel right now using a generic cable that my sound is a touch "veiled."

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #11 - 04/13/07 at 13:52:14

Well, I just ordered another pair of the DSRIIs.  With the CSP2 in the chain, I just feel I have to have one so my DEC 685 to CSP2 to ZBox have identical cables, and astonishinly good ones too.

IP Logged
buzz
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 04/13/07 at 17:35:46

Lon wrote on 04/13/07 at 13:52:14:
Well, I just ordered another pair of the DSRIIs.  With the CSP2 in the chain, I just feel I have to have one so my DEC 685 to CSP2 to ZBox have identical cables, and astonishinly good ones too.

Hi Lon,

You are running the CSP2 and the Zbox?  I thought the output impedance of the CSP2 was already low enough... no?

Thanks,
-Buzz

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #13 - 04/13/07 at 19:52:59

Yes, I'm running both.

At this point I would say yes, if one has the ZBox one doesn't really need the CSP2, though I have a feeling that the CSP2 when fully broken in and integrated (and with the right cables) will add another level of "realism" to the sound.

I've finally decided to and am able to listen to two sources though, and I didn't want to add a switchbox.  With all the talk of the CSP2 here, and all the love I have for units built by Steve Deckert, I spent my tax return on the CSP2.  I just didn't feel right ordering a switchbox.  I'm enjoying listening to the tv (through the nice Sony VCR/DVDR that I have) through the Decware system!

IP Logged
60_and_up
Seasoned Member

kids should live.

Reply #14 - 04/21/07 at 01:26:22

Tr3vWh0r3 wrote on 04/04/07 at 03:27:21:
I feel right now using a generic cable that my sound is a touch "veiled."

turn it up.  ;)

i always find music sounds veiled when i cant hear it  :)

Peace hath higher tests of manhood than battle ever knew. ...
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print