Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
07/22/14 at 14:38:40

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
DECWARE SILVER REFERENCE INTERCONNECTS - DSR II (Read 22998 times)
proud_indian
Seasoned Member

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Re:  DECWARE SILVER REFERENCE INTERCONNECTS - DSR II
Reply #30 - 12/29/10 at 05:06:37

I am using a similar cable, which is made by a company in India, who claim that they make it for some space program company Cool It is a 133 strand, silver plated copper with teflon, but it has lesser silver than the Decware cable. Prior to this, I was using silver foils.
The cable does take a long time to burn/break in. In my experience, they were times that the system would suddenly get harsh and remain like that for a  while. After about three months it got better. The highs were the problem for me, as they were a little distorted for quite a while. Don't know if the 1 watt of the Decware amp with the Lowthers, were too small a current to break it in faster.

shreekant Smiley

84C, ZBox, Ex mod, Zkit4&5.1, Vcap, CCE, Lowthers, CD200, Power iso and other stuff
WWW   IP Logged
Imkhawx
Verified Member

Reply #31 - 12/30/10 at 13:05:22

Well I've always found that silver seems to take a little longer than most to burn in. I'm still hopeful this will work out well.....

But this is the 1st time I've encountered such brightness and harshness. fingers crossed.

IP Logged
Imkhawx
Verified Member

Reply #32 - 12/30/10 at 13:10:32

As far as the vinyl vs CD debate..... I tend to agree with Lon..... the music comes first and that should dictate your direction more than anything else.

My boy has been playing an ipod through an el cheapo dac that he bought on my main system and I can't believe how artificial it sounds.... Hell of a lot of compression and overemphasizing of certain frequencies in recordings these day.... I can't stand it but he loves it so to each his own I guess.....

IP Logged
Crazy Bill the Eel Killer

Tubes Rule !!

Reply #33 - 01/05/11 at 19:22:04

Hello Imkhawx,

Here's something you could try to speed up the process. You need to juice those babies.

Since you've built your own and therefore know how to be safe, just hook up a couple of 8 ohm power resistotrs at the end of your amp/cable setup and let them cook. You could let them go continuously if you're OK with the gear being on when you're not at home, since there's no sound to intrude upon the solitude. You could vary the volume of the source to change the signal/current amplitude through the cables, which I understand is beneficial to the process. After a couple of weeks you should be pretty close to as good as they are going to be w/o any ear pain in  the process.

I use silver interconnects and speaker wires, and I used this process. I found my situation to be similar to yours; i.e. unlistenable at first, but beautiful ( hopefully for you too ) sound when done. And I am anal about the sound. I can't listen to cds. While my digital gear certainly is just OK, my listening buddy ( whom I vist often ) uses a Mac laptop as a server/Burmeister CD linestage combo as sources feeding the Weiss DAC through Stax Omega SRII earphones driven by a Woo Audio WES upgraded w/ the VDH caps. It is absolutely unbelievable. That said, however, I listen w/ a Denon DL103R or Grado Statement/Mitch Cotter turntable through a Sonic Frontiers Phono 1 into the Stax SR007tII amp and SR OmegaI earphones. The vinyl listening experience, even through phones, is far more enjoyable and believable to me. But that's just my 2c.

I hope it works out for you.

Cheers,            Crazy Bill

IP Logged
Imkhawx
Verified Member

Reply #34 - 01/07/11 at 08:31:09

Thanks Bill..... That's actually not a bad idea. I'll probably give it a shot but definitely only when I'm at home..

Anyway, a quick update.... it's been another 2 weeks that the cables have been in my TV system which sees relatively heavy use as the kids and wife all use it on a day to day basis.... about 4 hours daily or so.

Today, I swapped them out and placed them back in my main system. Definitely an improvement..... quite a bit of the harshness has disappeared and they are sounding a lot better balanced with a nicer "body" to the sound.... Still a little bit clinical and cold but a vast improvement. Still prefer my Siltech and Hisago though..... so back in my TV system they go for another 2 weeks.

These are the toughest cables I've ever had to run in.
I'm praying that it's worth the effort!

IP Logged
Imkhawx
Verified Member

Reply #35 - 01/22/11 at 11:42:17

It has now been a month since I've been using the interconnects and speaker cables. They been run in as hard as I could (approximately 6- 8 hours a day) for 31 days now.

So, after 200 odd hours of running in, I figured that they are as run-in'd as their going to get.

I took them out of the TV system and replaced the Siltech speaker cables  and Hisago interconnects with the Decwares.

I am now finally ready to give up. The cables just don't go well in either of my systems. I'm calling it a day. They are going in the cupboard as spares unless someone else wants them.

c'est la vie.... these things happen.

The NFX speakers and ZP3 phono stage from Decware are simply superb..... The cables are just not to my taste... too bright and harsh for me.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #36 - 01/22/11 at 15:57:50

Well, you certainly gave it the good fight. Kudos for that!

I'm certain you could return them and get quite a bit of your money back. I have them everywhere in my main system and they just aren't harsh there. Yeah, I have the treble circuit in use, but that's true with any cabling.

I'm waiting for a few pair to be manufactured and arrive. . . . I'm starting to convert my second system to all Decware cabling. May take a yhear of so.

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+PWD MkII,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
.:.impossible
Verified Member

Reply #37 - 01/24/11 at 21:19:06

Imkhawx,

I may be interested in buying a pair of DSR II's from you, if you are considering getting rid of them. Please let me know!

Cary

IP Logged
Imkhawx
Verified Member

Reply #38 - 01/26/11 at 08:25:17

Sure mate..... but may not be worth your while as I'm very far away in Singapore..... also mine use the Xhadow interconnects so they are dearer.

If you're still interested, you can PM me.

IP Logged
Imkhawx
Verified Member

Reply #39 - 03/02/11 at 13:00:29

An update......

Last Sunday, I took out the interconnects and speaker cables from my TV set-up to try again..... frankly it was coz I was bored and needed to do something to occupy idle hands.

Hugely surprised..... There was a massive improvement.... Harshness and brightness are gone.... sound is very quick and agile.... weight is back. Focus and soundstage are excellent..... most difference i'm hearing are from the DSR IIs which now sound much better than both my Crystal and Hisago interconnects.

The speaker cables are still not as good as my Siltechs but still very very good. So much so that I've installed them in my bedroom system.

I was frankly astounded how much of a change in the 2 months or so of running these cables in my TV system. In all the time I've been involved with sound systems, I don't think I've ever come across any cables that required to be run'd in as much as the Decwares..... But I must say that I am very impressed at the quality of the sound I'm getting for the price.....

Is this normal Steve? And if so, is there some way you'd recommend to hasten the burn in process?

I'm actually thinking of getting some more now ...  ;D

Very pleasantly surprised.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #40 - 03/04/11 at 17:20:26

Wow, that's an amazingly long breakin that thankfully has great results!

I was hoping you'd love these interconnects. There reallly is nothing like them in my opinion, at least for anywhere near the cost.

I think that you'll learn to love the speaker cables in time. They took a very long time to break in for me as well, but when they did. . . woah. I don't see ever having any other speaker cables.

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+PWD MkII,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
Imkhawx
Verified Member

Reply #41 - 06/04/11 at 13:15:09

They've both (speaker cables and interconnects) broken in now Lon..... and they're great value for the price.....

In fact, the DSRII are better than my Hisago and Crystals now. The speaker cables are really good too.

I think my Furutechs are better but they are a darn sight more expensive!

For what you pay for these.... you'd be hard pressed to find anything better for 2 to 3 times the price.

The ONLY down side is the super long break in. I spoke to Steve about it and he reckons that this is probably due to the fact that the cables I used were a good match with my amps already and as such I was supersensitive to any sort of hardness or "wrongness".... He could be right... But once they do break-in..... they're wonderful.

I actually bought another 2 pairs of 0.5 meter DSR IIs and some power cords. I'm actually dreading the running in period but I've got a solution now that i know works so I'm prepared to wait to reap the rewards that I know will come.

I gave these a not too complimentary review when I got them..... but I was too hasty methinks..... these things ARE excellent.... if you're patient.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #42 - 06/04/11 at 14:44:12

It's so great to read how happy you are with the cables, and yes, they're worth the wait for burn-in,  and the burn-in is way too long.

When you have your entire system connected with them it will sing! So glad I hadn't steered you wrong as I feared I may have at first!

IP Logged
Imkhawx
Verified Member

Reply #43 - 06/04/11 at 16:02:17

:)

No worries mate. I've been doing this long enough to realize that it's always a little risky purchasing without an audition. I expected good things though based on my NFX and ZP3.... So I figured the risk was minimal....

It all worked out to my great satisfaction in the end though.

IP Logged
nico

Reply #44 - 10/02/11 at 09:12:16

I've been reading this thread and just wanted to say that breaking-in cables first to me sounded like just another way for people to sell bad, or more cables.
By now I know that when you have put a lot of time and money in selecting the components that sound "right" for your ears...finding the right cables is even more difficult. [and expensive].
I'll never forget what my first Siltech cable did for my install. I just could not believe I had been listening and enjoying music with my old cable after swapping back once. At this point I started to buy [and after breaking-in and listening, selling again] the best interconnects I could afford. Some were simply a vast improvement, others a waste of money.
In the end I only bought cables that I could try out at home first, and that worked for me.
Regrettably I'm a looong way from you guys, not beeing able to audition the Decware cables and having to pay customs and substancial shippingcosts for everything I buy in the U.S.
The speakercables I use are 100% pure "silver strips" [Siltech FT12, fragile...] which are about 15 years old; prob. my best buy EVER. I relined them with teflontape and finished them with braided nylon and shrink-sleeve; looking very nice and letting music through like I never heard before.
About interconnects; I once hooked up a new interconnect which sounded awefull ,to a fully charged car battery on one end and a headlight-bulb on the other and left it burning overnight. Repeated it 2 more times, each time after which the cable sounded better balanced, no more harsh highs after three times.
I've done this with a lot of cables now and it's a zero-cost upgrade for impatient people like me, who just want to flip the switch, sit down and enjoy music. I hate it to come home, knowing I'll have to listen to stuff still breaking-in...
Silver btw is a far better material to use for audio than silver-plated copper imo; when silver ages it produces silver-oxide, which is a excellent conductor. Copper on the other hand degrades over time because of the air molecules trapped inside during the fabrication process ; copper oxide is a BAD conductor.... [no such problems when using UPOCC wire].
Everybody can tell you "their cable is superior made" but nobody can tell you it will match in your install. Wink. Your taste and your ears are unique!
Just my 2cts.
Nico

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print