Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
09/24/14 at 01:28:44

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Happy, happy ..... joy, joy ..... !!! CSP2 preamp (Read 15570 times)
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Re: Happy, happy ..... joy, joy ..... !!!
Reply #30 - 03/30/07 at 20:51:49

Well, Steve emailed me last night that he was listening to my CSP2 and it was sounding really good, and DeVon shipped it today. . . !

By next weekend I may be as under the CSP2 spell as Randy seems to be!

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
DaveCan
Ex Member

Reply #31 - 03/31/07 at 03:26:04

Good stuff Lon and very excited for you, betcha can't wait Smiley Looking forward to your review when your all settled in with the new Pre..  

Randy you have to eat and sleep remember Grin, and also log in to give some updates once in awhile Wink..       Dave Smiley

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #32 - 03/31/07 at 12:25:19

To be honest Dave, work has me so flipping stressed out and worried that I can wait. . . I'm like in a haze half the time.  When i called DeVon back I could hardly focus on the fact that a CSP2 was on its way to me. . . I was thinking of the next meeting I had to attend and hhow crazy the situation is. . . I hardly got three sentences out to DeVon.  

And I'm sitting here listening to my system and marveling at how wonderful it currently sounds.  How can it get better?  But knowing Steve and his designs and his excellent personal handiwork, I know I'm in for a surprise!

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
Randy in Caintuck
Seasoned Member

Tube be ... or not
tube be ... it's a
no-brainer.

Reply #33 - 04/02/07 at 02:47:13

Hi all,

Sorry I haven't posted lately.  It's due to a combination of things ..... I was recently assigned to a different building at my job and the work load has tripled. I don't know what Lon is going through at his job, but I can sympathize ..... because my situation has just about had me curled up under my desk in the fetal position a few times .....  :P   I will survive, but it will take some time to get up to speed and learn how to play the new "game".  When I get home at night, blissing out to some music is a lot more attractive than looking at another computer ..... even to check out the forum.  The other thing that has kept me busy is March Madness.  College hoops is the only sport I have any interest in these days ..... and I have been watching as many games as possible.  Tomorrow night will be the end of that for this year.

Despite the mental turmoil of work, I have been thoroughly enjoying what the CSP2 has done for my system.  There are still only about 100 hours on my CSP2, but the sound is without question better each day.  One of the most amazing things to me is how loud the system can play without clipping the Select.  I am listening at a higher volume than before ..... not nosebleed levels, but louder for sure ..... and the sound is much more realistic.  Before putting the CSP2 in the system, when I increased the volume past a certain point, the focus and coherency deteriorated.  With the CSP2, the opposite happens ..... the focus and coherency get noticeably better.  I do not understand why this happens ..... but I'm grateful .....  8-)

The CSP2 improves the dynamic capability of the system remarkably.  Small details and nuances in lead vocals "project" toward the listener while background instruments and vocals are much more detailed and easier to follow.  The lower registers of piano have a lot more weight and move more air.

I have experimented quite a bit over the past couple of weeks with different combinations of gear and can't see doing without the CSP2.  I'm sure it will sound like heresy ..... but, if I had to choose between the SO Imperials and the CSP2 ..... I would keep the CSP2.  It makes that much of an improvement in my system .....  :o

When things get better for Lon at work and he has some time to settle in with and burn in his new preamp, I have to believe that he will be one happy camper.

Anyone who owns a Decware power amplifier should seriously consider the purchase of one of these puppies .....  :)

Randy

CEC TL-2 belt drive CD transport
Camelot Uther / Anagram DAC
Decware Model SE84C+ amplifier
Greenvalve Audio Type 10 amplifier
Parker Audio Troll Magnus speakers
"Mini Me" OBs - with Hawthorne Augies, Wild Burro Betsy drivers and Heil AMTs
WWW   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #34 - 04/02/07 at 11:38:59

Randy,  I'm sorry to hear you're working so hard.  But glad to hear you're enjoyiing the music so much!

In my case it's politically activated shuffling around and bringing in more "buddies" with improper qualifications and experience at the expense of employees that is gonig on.  Many of my coworkers have had to reapply for their jobs and many won't get them.  A lot of sadness about to come rolling along.  And it's more work for me. . .and no security for me either.  I wish a certain group of clowns had never been elected in some years ago.

My CSP2 should be here Wednesday or Thursday, so I have that to look forward to!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #35 - 04/05/07 at 01:48:37

CSP2 is in the house!

Either it came with a dead fuse, or it blew the fuse the instant I turned it on (I never saw even a flash!) but it's in place and running.

Sounds good.  I don't hear magic yet. . . but I bet I will.

I'll start a new thread of impressions in a day or two.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #36 - 04/06/07 at 13:52:24

Okay. . .more details in another thread over the weekend. . . but the magic is there. . . this was a nobrainer good purchase.

IP Logged
Randy in Caintuck
Seasoned Member

Tube be ... or not
tube be ... it's a
no-brainer.

Reply #37 - 04/08/07 at 04:03:42

Lon wrote on 04/06/07 at 13:52:24:
Okay. . .more details in another thread over the weekend. . . but the magic is there. . . this was a nobrainer good purchase.  

Indeed .....  :)

My last post to the CSP to CSP2 Upgrade thread concluded with :

Steve made the comment to me a while back (about the original CSP) that I really had not heard the full potential of my system without it.  I honestly thought it was funny at the time.

I'm not laughing now .....  :-?

Seriously ..... if you don't have one, buy one.

You can thank me for the recommendation later .....  ;)

End of quote

Each and every time I fire the system up, it sounds better.  I'm not sure how much break-in time will be required before the CSP2 reaches its full potential ..... but "no brainer" is a term I would also use for this pre-amp.

I invited a friend over a couple of nights ago who has heard the system many times.  I sat him in "the chair" and fired off the second cut (Spring Can Really Hang You Up the Most) on the Rickie Lee Jones CD "Pop Pop".  When the first bass note hit, he spun around in the chair and grinned like a 'possum.
In times past, the bass on this track was in the background instrument category.  It is now a major player ..... robust, tuneful and wonderfully detailed.
When I told him that the SO Imperials were not hooked up, he just shook his head .....  :)

Have I mentioned that I really like the CSP2 .....  8-)

Randy

« Last Edit: 04/08/07 at 04:05:40 by Randy in Caintuck »  

CEC TL-2 belt drive CD transport
Camelot Uther / Anagram DAC
Decware Model SE84C+ amplifier
Greenvalve Audio Type 10 amplifier
Parker Audio Troll Magnus speakers
"Mini Me" OBs - with Hawthorne Augies, Wild Burro Betsy drivers and Heil AMTs
WWW   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #38 - 04/08/07 at 12:19:47

Well, I certainly don't like it as much as you do yet. . . . But I do really like it.

I'm not getting quite the "bass metamorphosis" that you are, and that disappoints me a little.  Maybe it's the room and maybe it's the set up.  I'm still tweaking a bit on how it's place in the system.  Lots of factors to play with.  And I'm beginning to think I need to continue playing with gain int the amps and the CSP2 to find just the right compromise.  

Having the ZBox in the loop also is quite interesting.  I actually love the sound of the tv from the Sony dvd recorder into the CSP2 A LOT.  No ZBox there.  Adding the CSP2 to the system before the CSP2 I've lost a bit of "mellowness" that I lament.  I really really love the "mellowness" I had.  I probably will find it again. I'm entering into a time frame where it's going to just break free a bit of its prebreakin nature.  

It's definitely fun to listen to.  Just to be able to watch tv through the system is a joy.  And lets me use the system more.  My wife doesn't say much but she likes it more than running the tv through the B&O system before, which she would only occasionally sit still for. She listens to the tv through the Decware system and just relaxes.  That's great!

So. . . more comments soon.  Listening to do!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print