Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/20/14 at 03:05:10

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7
Send Topic Print
A modification worthy of the Zen (Read 25857 times)
lightmaster

life is too short
for bad hifi.
Really!

Re: A modification worthy of the Zen
Reply #30 - 02/28/07 at 10:24:50

All right guys, that's where we are:

Francesco 2 caps
stone_of_tone 2 caps? Please confirm tone.
Rap 4 caps
Mr Content 4
Joel 4
Erimille 2
Doorman 2
Miles 2
Veryoldcat 2

Total so far 24! We need one more person! Only

I am going to do something I am going to contact chris at v-cap.com and see if we can get an arrangement for shipping individually. I know he charges 10 dollars for US shipping and 15 for overseas, that’s a lot! A regular jiffy bag rolled is safe enough for shipping those are not tubes, and they are extremely small and light. Posting and bag should be no more then few dollars both nationally and internationally. I suppose companies like to charge a premium for handling and shipment. If you a regular on e-bay you know that many make their money on that rather the the product (look at anything sent from china  for example) not v-cap.com case, but we can save something there i guess. let's see

Anyway lets see what Joel has in mind, any more ideas?

One thing that might be possible is to pay individually to the company and have all the caps sent to one person that then would redistribute???

I’ll see what chris  says and report back

f

« Last Edit: 02/28/07 at 10:27:12 by lightmaster »  

“Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.” Albert E.
WWW lightmaster   IP Logged
tsingle999
Verified Member

DIY

Reply #31 - 02/28/07 at 16:12:23

im down for 2 caps!

IP Logged
Brett

Reply #32 - 02/28/07 at 16:46:50

lightmaster wrote on 02/28/07 at 10:24:50:
I am going to do something I am going to contact chris at v-cap.com and see if we can get an arrangement for shipping individually.

I wonder if this groupbuy could include a pair of .47uF caps at a discounted price. If so I'm in for a pair of those. I've been meaning to upgrade the caps in my DAC.

-Brett

« Last Edit: 02/28/07 at 17:04:31 by Brett »  
  IP Logged
Rap
Seasoned Member

I Really, really,
really,  love YaBB
1G - SP1! ::)

Reply #33 - 02/28/07 at 18:30:39

Brett wrote on 02/28/07 at 16:46:50:
I wonder if this groupbuy could include a pair of .47uF caps at a discounted price. If so I'm in for a pair of those. I've been meaning to upgrade the caps in my DAC.

-Brett

get some panasonics or EVOX Rifa polyprops I think you´ll be just as happy in the dac department at a fraction of the price. After all the location of were you spend the most $ is key to successfull frugophilia Smiley

IP Logged
Tish
Seasoned Member

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #34 - 02/28/07 at 18:38:20

Hi all,  I'd like 4 caps for my pair of selects!  Thanks,Tish        P.S.  Does anyone know what size caps my SE34I.2 would use?

IP Logged
rock4016
Verified Member

Reply #35 - 02/28/07 at 19:36:29

I'm down for 2.

Select #145 (completely rebuilt)
DIY SPUD 6CL6
DIY EL34 SE
DIY "Red Light District" EL84 PP amp
Scott Nixon UFO USB Dac
Dual 721TT Grado Red
Pass Labs Pearl Phono Stage
DIY 76 Linestage
Hathorne Audio 15" PSI Open baffle speakers, with 15" Augies
Sansui
  IP Logged
lightmaster

life is too short
for bad hifi.
Really!

Reply #36 - 02/28/07 at 21:22:38

Francesco 2 caps
stone_of_tone 2 caps? Please confirm tone.
Rap 4 caps
Mr Content 4
Joel 4
Erimille 2
Doorman 2
Miles 2
Veryoldcat 2
tsingle999    2 cAPS
TISH 4
rock4016   4 Caps

that makes it: 34 caps total! Wow, we might be able to get an even better price, might be.

I'll be back with more info, also regarding brett 0.47uf. By the way in what position do you want to use those?

Yoda

I ride!

Reply #37 - 03/01/07 at 00:08:50

I'll go in for 4 for my pair of selects...

Matt

Decware HDT-Alt tuning, Hagtech Cymbals
Hagerman: Chime Gold DAC; Castanet Line Stage; Cornet II, Piccolo, Thorens TD160 w/ Rega Rb300; Oracle Alexandria II TT, Mayware F4 arm w/Soundsmith-Denon dl-103, Yamaha T-1 Tuner
Many fostex experiments....
  IP Logged
Joel
Verified Member

I'll regret this
tomorrow.

Reply #38 - 03/01/07 at 00:37:35

Never mind my thought, checked it out and it's not such a great idea. Make sure Chris knows what we are doing, I know it is straight forward pricing on the website, but a $12 differential on this number of caps adds up. That said I'm still in for 4.
Joel

IP Logged
lightmaster

life is too short
for bad hifi.
Really!

Reply #39 - 03/01/07 at 09:23:26

all right guys
talked with crhis and asked if price was lowest he could offer and if we could might be pay individually to him at the 25+ discounted price and have all the caps sent to one person.

answers: yes, price is the lowest he can offer
no, he cannot get individual payments.

little disappointed must say, nothing else was suggested if not the fact that prices are soon going up for the caps!

so ... i think we should move differently. as i said the best option would be if one seasoned decware member would take the lead in the states. we could send him the money (paypal, bank transfer i assume would be preferred methods) payment should include prices of the caps at a discounted price. + share of the postal expences + amount for re shipping the items

basically we are talking according to my calculation of around 77-78 dollars ( a little more if paying with paypal to include paypal charges, i am going to be more specific a little later today with calculations) for a couple of caps.

i am willing to do it, but as i said i am in denmark and things get a little more complicated if we have to get the caps here and then send them back to the states, i also condidered the problem that for such an amount custum taxes might be an issue.

so is there any body in the US willing to be the "home base" of the deal?

if not i will think of another solution and report back.

f

Randy in Caintuck
Seasoned Member

Tube be ... or not
tube be ... it's a
no-brainer.

Reply #40 - 03/01/07 at 16:16:34

Greetings all,

Just a thought.  I enjoy saving a few bucks as much as the next guy, but I ran the math on this and I'm not sure this group buy thing is all that cost effective .....  :-?

Two .1uf caps cost 96.00 + shipping
Two .1uf caps at the +25 price cost 72.00 + shipping

So ..... you are saving 24.00 ..... less the extra shipping costs to reship from the "contact buyer".

I know that the thought of paying 50.00 for a capacitor rubs many folks the wrong way ..... but these things really are worth the money.  After hearing them in my Select, I would have gladly paid 3 times the price to get the same results .....  :)

When you hold one in your hand and feel the "heft" compared to other caps, it gives you a pretty good idea that there is something special here.  The folks at VH Audio put a lot of effort into developing these beauties and I don't begrudge them a decent profit ..... especially considering the results .....  8-)

I would hate to see my friends here on the forum "fart around" and end up paying a higher price in the near future .....  :P

Randy

CEC TL-2 belt drive CD transport
Camelot Uther / Anagram DAC
Decware Model SE84C+ amplifier
Greenvalve Audio Type 10 amplifier
Parker Audio Troll Magnus speakers
"Darth Baffles" OBs - with Hawthorne Augies, Saba Green Cones and Heil AMTs
WWW   IP Logged
Joel
Verified Member

I'll regret this
tomorrow.

Reply #41 - 03/01/07 at 17:20:04

I don't want to mess up a group buy or anything, but I have an offer to make. Since I have a need for 4 caps I will be willing to buy 6 and send 2 to someone on this forum that I trust, in other words, been around awhile. All I will charge is the cap price plus my shipping to you. That will be a $12 difference to the partner vs. a very large group buy. First person to PM me that meets the above criteria will get the deal.
Joel

IP Logged
lightmaster

life is too short
for bad hifi.
Really!

Reply #42 - 03/01/07 at 18:15:18

you might be right randy but here is the math

we are buying 38 caps at 36 each dollars instead of 48 dollars each

1824 +130(post) ---1954 dollars this is the total of all the caps at full price plus shipping

1368 +25 (post to base) = 1393 +60 (post to individuals circa)=1453 this is the total of the caps at reduced price plus shipping to base and re-shipping to individuals.

501 dollars saving total 38 dollars for each couple of caps. you might be right.

what do you guys think

the smaller group alternative is an option to simplify things, i am in for that too... if people prefers Smiley

and by the way is true, Steve did not consider that but the grading system based on number of posts was a certain guarantee as to commitment to the decware spirit Smiley trustworthiness i mean Smiley
the new 3 stars systems completely kills that comfort factor, at least with the less well know members.

« Last Edit: 03/01/07 at 18:26:33 by lightmaster »  

Rap
Seasoned Member

I Really, really,
really,  love YaBB
1G - SP1! ::)

Reply #43 - 03/01/07 at 19:22:21

I think Dave and Randy should handle the group-buy and re-packing, They are after all responsible for this thread and for every-one wanting the caps  :D Tongue Smiley Smiley Smiley

« Last Edit: 03/01/07 at 19:23:20 by Rap »  
  IP Logged
Randy in Caintuck
Seasoned Member

Tube be ... or not
tube be ... it's a
no-brainer.

Reply #44 - 03/01/07 at 19:51:43

Rap wrote on 03/01/07 at 19:22:21:
I think Dave and Randy should handle the group-buy and re-packing, They are after all responsible for this thread and for every-one wanting the caps  :D Tongue Smiley Smiley Smiley

Howdy Rap,

Dave and I would like to thank you for the excellent suggestion ..... but think we will pass at this time .....

Randy

CEC TL-2 belt drive CD transport
Camelot Uther / Anagram DAC
Decware Model SE84C+ amplifier
Greenvalve Audio Type 10 amplifier
Parker Audio Troll Magnus speakers
"Darth Baffles" OBs - with Hawthorne Augies, Saba Green Cones and Heil AMTs
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7
Send Topic Print