Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
12/20/14 at 21:41:52

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Strapping Amps together. (Read 1118 times)
Andy831
Ex Member

Strapping Amps together.
01/29/07 at 08:39:00

Hope you guys can offer some advice.

Here in the Uk Decware is a little thin on the ground, not sure if Steve or DeVon actually have a note of how may amps have crossed the "pond" officially, but needless to say most people have never heard of the brand.

Ok I now have an SE84CS which is trying its best to drive my Tannoy Loudspeakers, Its doing a great job, my only complaint being a slight lack of bass control / grip. If I change over to my Klipsch Heresy 1`s the problem goes away and the amp is sublime. I guess this is 92dB of the Tannoys Vs 95dB of the Klipsch, and to be expected.

As the tannoys are definately staying I toyed with the idea of maybe strapping two selects together. However I think the reality is that I will end up buying a new Taboo from Steve, and using the Select with the Heresy`s on a second dining room system.

It would be good to try 6 watts into the Tannoys before parting with $900 which leads me to my real question.

A chap I know has an SE84C with upraded Ex transformer. He has offered to strap this together with my CS which has not got Ex trannies. I guess the fact that his is UK 240V  and mine is US 110V should make very little difference as I am using a step down tranny so effectively they are both operating on the same voltage.

My question is, is this wise as I have serious reservations about it, and secondly if it can be done, is the 6 watts produced comparable to the 6 watts from a Taboo and therefore representative of the likely performance a Taboo would give me with the Tannoys.

IP Logged
Rap
Ex Member

Re: Strapping Amps together.
Reply #1 - 01/29/07 at 13:19:22

[quote author=Andy831  link=1170063540/0#0 date=1170059940]

My question is, is this wise as I have serious reservations about it, and secondly if it can be done, is the 6 watts produced comparable to the 6 watts from a Taboo and therefore representative of the likely performance a Taboo would give me with the Tannoys. [/quote]

You should be fine if you parallel strap the ex and serries strap the cs. Not a perfect ballance of output trannies but close.

IP Logged
The Tish
Ex Member

Re: Strapping Amps together.
Reply #2 - 01/29/07 at 18:02:44

Hi Andy,  I think you should go for another select and series strap them. One thing to think about,the select likes low ohms on the speaker,and when you strap an amp it will see half the ohms. I have not noticed any reduction in sound quality by strapping my selects.  Thanks,Tish

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print