Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
11/25/14 at 02:01:36

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
CSP to CSP2 upgrade now available ! (Read 10471 times)
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

CSP to CSP2 upgrade now available !
01/22/07 at 21:48:19

Finally, we are now able to offer an upgrade for CSP owners that changes it to a CSP2.  

A little background:

You would think that building the CSP2 circuit in the CSP chassis would be a no brainer, but this is never the case when chassis and layouts are changed - regardless of the circuits - at least in my experience.  Besides actually changing how the circuit sounds, often noise and or hum issues have to be dealt with any time  a drastic change, such as a chassis, is undertaken.

This was (as expected) the case when the first CSP to CSP2 upgrade was attempted.  It has taken a considerable amount of time to re-engineer the layout and grounding scheme to achieve the same net result as just buying a CSP2 in the first place.  We are after all dealing with a steel chassis (CSP) vs. an aluminum chassis (CSP2).  The steel chassis are magnetic while the aluminum are not.  This completely changes the eddy currents that are induced in the chassis from magnetic fields and consequently the grounding topology.  

ANYWAY - it has been done successfully and I now know what is involved time wise and what the end results will be.

PRICES - The mod will completely gut the inside of the CSP and rebuild it as a CSP2.  The costs are as follows:

Convert CSP to CSP2 without headphone jack is going to be $275.00 - not the $400 we projected.  This is thanks to our expertise and skill at soldering.

Convert CSP to CSP2 WITH headphone jack is going to be $325.00.

RESULTS

The changes you will experience are as follows:

A richer sound with more weight.

A better frequency balance with less midrange and treble highlighting.  

Better overall musicality.

10dB more dynamic range at any given volume level.

10dB lower noise floor.

Lower THD by a full decimal point.

Steve Grin

« Last Edit: 06/07/07 at 20:38:11 by Steve Deckert »  
WWW   IP Logged
charlieboy
Ex Member

Re: CSP to CSP2 upgrade now available !
Reply #1 - 01/23/07 at 06:36:01

Very Cool!

IP Logged
veryoldcat
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 01/23/07 at 18:28:44

This is very good news, indeed!

Karl

IP Logged
rmt
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 01/24/07 at 00:49:06

Will the mono output be available on the upgrade?  I prefer that to the headphone output.

IP Logged
rayd
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 01/24/07 at 10:07:05

*** SOLD ***

I have a CSP for sale that I am not using if anyone wants to take advantage of Steve's upgrades.

$399 including base + 3% Paypal. I will pay for shipping (insured) to you or Steve. Includes:  (1) Sovtek 5Y3GT and (3) Sovtek 6922's, manual, and power cord.

« Last Edit: 01/25/07 at 22:11:55 by rayd »  
  IP Logged
Randy in Caintuck
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 01/24/07 at 20:03:39

Howdy Ray,

Check your PM .....  :)

Randy

IP Logged
rayd
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 01/24/07 at 21:16:07

Hi Randy, sent you a reply Smiley

Thanks,

- Ray

IP Logged
Zygi
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 01/25/07 at 00:58:49

My CSP was the guinea pig.....it will be here tomorrow....I can't wait!!!

« Last Edit: 02/02/07 at 23:02:08 by ZYGI »  
  IP Logged
Randy in Caintuck
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 01/25/07 at 02:06:20

Howdy Bob,

Please let us know your impressions ..... Wink

The reason I am interested in Ray's CSP is that it matches my Select and hardwood base.  As much as I appreciate the stunning good looks of the new style gear, the old style will look a lot more "comfortable" sitting next to my amp and base ..... Smiley

I decided a while back that I wanted one of the Decware preamps, but when the new CSP2 came out I was hesitant because of the cosmetic mismatch.  Steve's decision to do an upgrade of the original CSP is great news to me.

In the near future, I will be posting about a new audio acquisition that requires a top shelf preamp ..... stay tuned ..... ???

Best wishes,

Randy

IP Logged
Zygi
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 01/25/07 at 03:20:11

Randy,

I sure will give all my impressions. I'm finally getting my new room close to being finished. Its really sounding  pretty good right now, it has a way to go for tonal balance, I worked on bass traps tonight, still have a few more to build, but I feel I'm getting closer to a great listening environment.

My CSP is in the original silver chassis which was to match my Select monos built in the silver chassis, which is why I wanted to stick with it in the old style as well.

I can't wait to hear about your new acquisition.....

BobZ

« Last Edit: 01/25/07 at 03:20:46 by ZYGI »  
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #10 - 01/28/07 at 19:36:55

Please be patient with Bob's response as he has now heard the CSP2 upgrade on his CSP.  I happen to know it caused a series of epiphanies that all need a day or two to filter out before he comments on it's sound.

As an example, his comment in the previous post about his room: "Its really sounding  pretty good right now, it has a way to go for tonal balance"  are likely being re-thought.

WWW   IP Logged
gnat leader
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 01/29/07 at 17:31:19

surely there must be previous owners of the CSP who sold and bought a CSP2 prior to this upgrade being released?  What say you?  What difference(s) do you hear?

IP Logged
rmt
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 01/29/07 at 21:13:12

[quote author=rmt  link=1169506099/0#3 date=1169599746]Will the mono output be available on the upgrade?  I prefer that to the headphone output. [/quote]

I really don't like to repeat myself, but I just have to know.

IP Logged
magicsound
Verified Member

sound of silence

Reply #13 - 02/02/07 at 20:39:46

[quote author=Steve Deckert  link=1169506099/0#0 date=1169502499]Finally, we are now able to offer an upgrade for CSP owners that changes it to a CSP2.  

A little background:

You would think that building the CSP2 circuit in the CSP chassis would be a no brainer, but this is never the case when chassis and layouts are changed - regardless of the circuits - at least in my experience.  Besides actually changing how the circuit sounds, often noise and or hum issues have to be dealt with any time  a drastic change, such as a chassis, is undertaken.

This was (as expected) the case when the first CSP to CSP2 upgrade was attempted.  It has taken a considerable amount of time to re-engineer the layout and grounding scheme to achieve the same net result as just buying a CSP2 in the first place.  We are after all dealing with a steel chassis (CSP) vs. an aluminum chassis (CSP2).  The steel chassis are magnetic while the aluminum are not.  This completely changes the eddy currents that are induced in the chassis from magnetic fields and consequently the grounding topology.  

ANYWAY - it has been done successfully and I now know what is involved time wise and what the end results will be.

PRICES - The mod will completely gut the inside of the CSP and rebuild it as a CSP2.  The costs are as follows:

Convert CSP to CSP2 without headphone jack is going to be $275.00 - not the $400 we projected.  This is thanks to our expertise and skill at soldering.

Convert CSP to CSP2 WITH headphone jack is going to be $325.00.

RESULTS

The changes you will experience are as follows:

A richer sound with more weight.

A better frequency balance with less midrange and treble highlighting.  

Better overall musicality.

10dB more dynamic range at any given volume level.

10dB lower noise floor.

Lower THD by a full decimal point.

WARNINGS

If you are interested in the headphone option you should understand up front that like the CSP2, the headphone ouput is killer good sounding on anything from Grado 32 ohms to Sens at 600 ohms up to a normal listening level (1/2 volume on the volume control).  It will not get louder then that with headphones without distortion, so if you like headphones to be on the loud side you will probably be dissatisfied.

If you have no plans to use headphones then get the mod without the headphone jack.  The line level outputs will actually sound about 5% better then if the headphone option is added.

Steve Grin [/quote]

Does this mean my csp will look like the new csp2? you know, new chassis and the wood frame?

« Last Edit: 02/02/07 at 20:41:08 by magicsound »  

C(x2)
CSP
ZBOX
MSB
THORENS/td318
KLIPSCH/rf35
  IP Logged
rmt
Seasoned Member

NIbbelin NFX

Reply #14 - 02/02/07 at 21:08:09

[quote author=magicsound  link=1169506099/0#13 date=1170448786]

Does this mean my csp will look like the new csp2? you know, new chassis and the wood frame? [/quote]

"You would think that building the CSP2 circuit in the CSP chassis would be a no brainer,"

"We are after all dealing with a steel chassis (CSP) vs. an aluminum chassis (CSP2)."  

I believe that is a no.

Select, CSP2 upgrade, Dec 685, DSRii, home built Nibbelin NFX w/DFR-8s, Klipsch RF-7, SE34.I, Zbox
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print