Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
08/01/14 at 05:08:34

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New to forum with question (Read 1038 times)
aikido73
Ex Member

New to forum with question
12/26/06 at 00:02:10

Hi, this is my first post and I hope it comes across the way I mean it ( looking for knowledge).  My wife and I are very tired of our present system neither of us are really tech people we just want the music to sound pleasing.  In another life 20+ years ago I worked in a high end audio store (audio research, Oracle turntables etc.) I guess I'm having trouble with the 2 watt a channel idea but all the descriptions are intriguing. Our present system is Jolida 202, Spica speakers (that I think have almost given up) and an old cd player.  We have looked at some new equipement B&W McIntosh etc.  but I like the price and reviews of the Decware equipment. Finally my question of those that have truly compared the higher end tube gear to the Decware equipment what are your impressions of the comparisions.  
Thank you in advance for any help.

IP Logged
Eli Duttman
Ex Member

Re: New to forum with question
Reply #1 - 12/26/06 at 01:16:05

Keep the difference in presentation in mind.  SE stuff and PP stuff are different.

I own a pair of SE84Bs that are waiting their turn at limited money for an upgrade.  Mind you, the SE84Bs do sound good.

I've heard costly ARC tube amps and they are good.  However, I own a vintage H/K Cit. 2 that's been overhauled by Jim McShane and it's easily as good as ARC.

Your sense that DECWARE products are a good value is correct.

You must view the amp/speaker combo as a single entity.  High efficiency speakers are essential when "flea" power amps are used.  In most rooms (not "caverns"), a 102 dB. peak SPL at a 1 M. distance is what is needed from an amp/speaker combo.

IP Logged
veryoldcat
Ex Member

Re: New to forum with question
Reply #2 - 12/27/06 at 00:23:14

I'm not absolutely certain as I'm not a measurement addict, but think that 102 db peaks are in the neighborhood of what I can get with my Select and Parker 98's combination. I believe the Decware SE84CS puts out just a bit more than 2watts a channel rms into the Parker's 2ohm load (maybe 2.5 watts, but am not sure). Since the 98's are 96db @ 1 watt that would net a possiblity of 102db at peaks.

Whatever it is, it goes way louder before clipping than is comfortable for the normal ear, but I have to add that quality within my mundane budget came first before high db peaks.

I often listen to classical that has a much wider dynamic range than jazz or rock, and my system has more than enough headroom in an ordinary living space. Hot miked piano music with a wide dynamic range is a good test, which my system passes easily.

If you like really loud music with continuous thumping, look to high powered pp tube stuff but you often get less low level transparence and quickness than with a good set (imho). At least given what I can afford.

Still, a good pp tube amp well executed with good tranxfmrs can sound very good. It generally means more expense, though. If we ask Eli what a used Citation would cost, and then add the expense of the parts replacement and rebuilding to upgrade it, we find there is a considerable investment, I bet.

Eli is right, that pp tube amps are a different flavor than set's. I've listened to pp tube amps since childhood and very consistently since the late 70's (three different Mcintosh's and a ST70) and currently prefer the set sound of my Select.

Karl

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print