Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Zbox hum (Read 1775 times)
lshawn666
Ex Member

Zbox hum
12/17/06 at 01:54:54

Hello all,

I'm getting a tweeter hum when my Zbox is connected to my system.  I of course have tried tube rolling, and also tried different interconnects and power cord.  Has anyone else experienced the Zbox causing a hum?

Thanks

IP Logged
magicsound
Ex Member

Re: Zbox hum
Reply #1 - 12/17/06 at 07:52:51

Is it a hum or more like a hiss? I experience, well, not only me but other zbox owners as well, a sort of hisssschhhhh sound. I believe it's from the power tube. It's intermittent during warm up, and after that it's gone.

M  ;)N

IP Logged
lshawn666
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 12/17/06 at 15:31:27

I realize it is tough to put into words, but it's kind of like a high buzz sound which I guess is like a hiss versus a hum.  I hear it all the time even after warm up and it seems to be coming just from the tweeters.

Thanks

IP Logged
magicsound
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 12/17/06 at 23:24:30

It's a high frequenzy sound so it seems it's coming from the tweeter. Possible scenario/problems for the continuos hissing sound could be:
1) There's a cobra inside your speakers and it doesn't like the music you're playing, hence the hiss. (possible solution: call pest control, you can't handle them, they're poisonous)
2) Tube instability (what tube do you use?)
3) Unshielded interconnect (obviously use a shielded one to address the problem)
4) No clue, like the rest of us? (call Steve, he might answer your call or your email. With your name who wouldn't be scared not to reply) Grin Cheesy Grin

M AngryN

« Last Edit: 12/17/06 at 23:25:37 by magicsound »  
  IP Logged
Mike W
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 12/18/06 at 10:51:35

Can you hear it over the music? Some hiss that is audible very close to the tweeter (say less than a foot) is common

IP Logged
lshawn666
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 12/18/06 at 12:51:51

No, I can't hear it over the music and have to be within 3 feet to hear it which I realize will never be a listening position in reality.  Just knowing it's there bugs me and I was just wondering if it was some what normal.  

Thanks

IP Logged
Lon
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 12/18/06 at 15:52:45

I have a similar situation.  In my case I believe that it is mainly my Decware EL34 Monoblocks which are humming, they are the noisiest amps Steve ever designed and I have not had the power supply upgrade which would help the problem he would like me to have done.  (I need the dollars, and I need the patience to be without the amps that long).

Though the amps hum, I think there's a bit of hum on the Zbox as well that I detect when in use with other components.  But it does not overpower the music, and in my case it is definitely "hum" as opposed to "hiss."

IP Logged
magicsound
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 12/18/06 at 22:11:14

[quote author=lshawn666  link=1166324094/0#5 date=1166446311] Just knowing it's there bugs me and I was just wondering if it was some what normal.  

Thanks [/quote]

I guess it's normal, just like having a beautiful wife and of course a mother-in-law!

M SmileyN

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print