Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
08/21/14 at 05:23:03

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Original Zen Triode SE84C (Read 2829 times)
Andy831
Ex Member

Original Zen Triode SE84C
12/01/06 at 07:32:44

I have been offered a UK (240Volt) version of the original Grey chassis amplifier.

I have read all the "stuff" on the site about the amp but I cannot quite get my head around the comments " No pre amp required".

Does this mean the SE84C is a fully integrated amp?

Does it mean it is fully integrated with limited gain on the output stage?

Or that is can be used with a preamp? ......and if this is the case, then what benefits are gained from adding a Preamp?

I ask the question because I already have a ZLSA-1. If I Buy the SE84C does the Zsla-1 become redundant?

Moving on, if i buy another SE84C and bridge them into Mono, just what happens then, is a preamp required?

Hope you guys that have been around Decware longer than I have can help me out here.

Thanks in advance

Andy

IP Logged
Mike W
Ex Member

Re: Original Zen Triode SE84C
Reply #1 - 12/01/06 at 12:20:13

No Andy it is indeed a power amp but a single source component a la CD player that has an output of 2V or more will bring the amp to full power....hence the statement no preamp required.

Unless you modify the ZEN it has a volume pot in the back and can accomodate only one source at a time.

If you have never heard one, I can promise you it will change the way you listen to music......at least some kinds of music.

Now keep in mind you will need some very efficient speakers if you want the music even a little loud.

You can use a preamp if you want but I always thought it was at it's finest with the preamp out of the signal path.

I am not sure how the ZSLA-1 will mate with it. Fine I presume but it can only accomodate one source component as well. Your ears would have to be the judge on what was sonically superior.

I am sure others will weigh in as well.

« Last Edit: 12/01/06 at 12:22:59 by MikeW »  
  IP Logged
Andy831
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 12/01/06 at 14:42:25

Hi Mike

I bought Giordino`s ZSLA-1 Which has been modified to have two inputs therefore cd/ turntable into the ZSLA-1, then onto the SE84C............. a marriage made in heaven?.....I hope.

Speakers are Klipsch Heresy 1`s so at 96dB I guess they should be ok.

The ZSLA-1 has already changed my views on amplifiers being used with a pair of 4.5 watt push pull monoblocks

« Last Edit: 12/01/06 at 14:44:01 by Andy831 »  
  IP Logged
selmerdave
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 12/01/06 at 16:08:06

I started out with Heresy's/Zen C, a nice combination.  Keep in mind you'll need a phono stage of course to run into your ZSLA-1 if you want to listen to vinyl.  The ZSLA should be much like running direct into the Zen, in terms of gain it won't add any so you'll need to make sure you have a CD player with healthy output (>2V) to make sure you can get full output.

Heresy's should give you good headroom, they won't shake the walls with a Zen but to a large extent that's missing the point (of going this route) anyway.

Dave

IP Logged
tomp
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 12/01/06 at 18:47:24

I use the ZLSA with my SE84C. It sounds more relaxed, less agressive.

Did Decware do the input switching mod mentioned? I would
like to do that.

IP Logged
Andy831
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 12/01/06 at 20:14:40

Hi Tomp

My understanding is that it was done by Decware.

IP Logged
veryoldcat
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 12/02/06 at 17:47:10

It's true the input sensitivity of the se84 zen is high enough to go without a pre for many line level sources. I listened to my se84cs straight from a cd source w/o a pre for a year. The transparence and quickness was pretty amazing, but musicality is SO much better with a pre, imho.

Just my 2 cents...

Karl

IP Logged
Doorman
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 12/02/06 at 19:37:16

What Karl said. A (good!) pre adds a lot to the Zen Select.
                                                                    Don

IP Logged
Crazy Bill the Eel Killer
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 12/02/06 at 20:33:08

Hello Andy,

I run a ZSLA-1 Sig. into the front inputs on my SE84CSEX. I don't believe that the C has the front inputs. You might consider sending it to Steve ( or doing it yourself, it's fairly simple ), to have them put in. Bypassing the existing pot and wiring would do nothing but good things to the sound of the combo. The ZSLA-1 Sig. is the most revealing preamp I've ever heard, and I've heard some very good ones.

Cheers,                  Bill

IP Logged
chris1
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 12/07/06 at 22:07:31

Andy,

I've run the zen c for years w/a variety of preamps and came to the recent realization that the amp sound best by itself.

Might want to check out my recent post:

http://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=Tubes;action=display;num=1165...

It's such a beautiful little amp.  
C Evans

IP Logged
Mike W
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 12/08/06 at 12:20:52

Steve Deckert has written a nice article about preamps.

Check the articles tab on the Decware site and scroll down a little.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print