Construction.

IP Logged
SPARKY
Ex Member

Re: WO32 Amp question
Reply #16 - 12/19/06 at 05:44:48

favorite instrument...

The wo32 IS incredible.
I'm certain I heard the actual texture of the spiral wound bass strings being played...

kinda like exhibit "A"

Overall, the build was a lesson in speaker construction.  The angles were tough but do-able.
I did not have the right router bit to recess the 10"s into the baffle as the directions "seem" to show but I do have a very tight fit between the speaker face gasket and the facing baffle.  It doesn't rattle at all.  Must have been the Voodoo  ???
The amp boxes turned out good and are even nearly a complete match in dimensions.  I think I only put down a couple dimensions on paper before I just went for it from the mental image.  
Thanks to everyone past and present for their posts regarding the wo32- all very helpful!

IP Logged
SPARKY
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 01/24/07 at 02:53:38

Couple more pictures of the amp boxes...

Probably did not need to build them out of 3/4" oak, but I had some laying around and needed to use it up.
The metal is from stamped sheet register steel.  Cuts easy with metal snips.  The box is glued on 3 sides and screwed on the back.  The amps slide into the box on grooves and can be removed if they break.   Sad  
If you do something like this, I suggest putting a bead of hot glue or silicon in the groove for the metal so it won't rattle.  Just a thought  ???.

IP Logged
Mr Content
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 02/07/07 at 05:31:21

Wow Sparky, those are the second biggest plate amp boxs I have ever seen.  :P, But seriously, nice job.

Mr C Smiley

IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Reply #19 - 02/08/07 at 12:06:20

[quote author=Mr Content  link=1164081127/15#18 date=1170826281]Wow Sparky, those are the second biggest plate amp boxs I have ever seen.  :P, But seriously, nice job.

Mr C Smiley [/quote]
My Bad!
I never followed this thread, very nice. I have ended up using a little stuffing on my WO 32 as well. Interesting about the power of the amps making such a profound change.
I have some drivers that are advertised as 4 Ohm but test at 2.2 and I have a 4 Ohm plate amp that the gain has to remain so far down it renders it unusable for those drivers.
G

IP Logged
SPARKY
Verified Member

Music, go figure.

Reply #20 - 02/11/07 at 05:11:16

Hello and Thanks!
I'm not sure if the single amp did not have enough oommph or too much oommph but running one amp for each driver seemed to do the trick.  Maybe the two drivers in parallel created too low Ohms for the plate amp?  I don't know.  But hey, it sounds good now so I'm happy!  
As for the amp boxes (dog houses), they are a bit big, but they blend in well w/ everything else and aren't any taller than the top of the horn on the BK-16 cabinets (see Madisound kit).  
anyway, thanks again!
Sparky  :D

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print