Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
10/01/14 at 23:42:13

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Step-down transformer to Taboo (Read 2058 times)
Jolojl
Ex Member

Step-down transformer to Taboo
11/12/06 at 18:29:44

Hi guys!  ;)

Just bought a (used) Taboo the other day and it's shipping tomorrow to Sweden. Can't wait to receive it (hopefully before next week-end) and plug it in Cheesy.

I will need a step-down transformer from 230 to 110 volts. The Taboo consumes 75 w at full power. Does anyone have any suggestion on what power the transformer should have (I've heard 250 and 500 w)?

I've asked Steve Deckert but I've heard he's difficult to reach through e-mail and I probably won't get any response before I go out and get a transformer.

Feel free to give suggestions!

Johan Smiley

IP Logged
Yoda
Ex Member

Re: Step-down transformer to Taboo
Reply #1 - 11/12/06 at 20:01:13

Maybe you could purchase the proper 220v power transformer from Decware and swap it instead of purchasing an expensive 'fix'.

IP Logged
Jolojl
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 11/12/06 at 21:59:08

Hi Yoda! Smiley

Great idea! Didn't know one existed but I've read the following on the features page: "WORLD VOLTAGE COMPATIBILITY - Our power transformers are also our own built to very high spec here in the USA and have less then 0.5% failure rate in our amplifiers. This amp comes standard with a world voltage compatible transformer that can be wired for any country on the planet." I'm not sure what this really means. Does it mean one needs to rewire the transformer (requiring an engineer), or is it a separate transformer that is just "plug n' play"?  ???

The Decware transformer you are referring to, is it the same as what the features page is referring to?

Johan  ;)

IP Logged
Yoda
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 11/13/06 at 02:03:24

I believe that world voltage compatibility is standard on the current generation Taboo TS.  If it is the previous generation in the steel case, I believe it was an option, but I'm sure you could order a world voltage transformer from Decware, or have the operation done at Decware before it is shipped overseas.

IP Logged
Jolojl
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 11/13/06 at 08:24:30

Hi Yoda!

OK! Thanks!

It's one of the latest generations of Taboos, I believe (8 months old). Sorry for asking (and I hope to receive some info from Decware on this) about what might seem obvious, but does the change from 110 to 220 v require work from someone with engineering and soldering skills, or is it just a matter of switching some button at the back of the amp (this seems unlikely, though...).

Johan  :)

IP Logged
chrisby
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 11/14/06 at 17:46:11

[quote author=Jolojl  link=1163359784/0#4 date=1163406270]Hi Yoda!

OK! Thanks!

It's one of the latest generations of Taboos, I believe (8 months old). Sorry for asking (and I hope to receive some info from Decware on this) about what might seem obvious, but does the change from 110 to 220 v require work from someone with engineering and soldering skills, or is it just a matter of switching some button at the back of the amp (this seems unlikely, though...).

Johan  :) [/quote]

Not as simple as a selector on the back of the amp - it will require resoldering primary windings on the transformer.  This is not likely a complicated task, and with a couple of pictures,  could be accomplished by any competent DIYer.

Yes, it can sometimes take quite a while to get an e-mail reply from Steve, so you might want to give Devon a phone call. Aside from the pleasure of talking with her, you'll increase your chances of getting a direct answer from Steve.

IP Logged
Jolojl
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 11/14/06 at 20:06:03

Chrisby, thanks!  :)

That was exactly the information I was looking for!

I'll contact Devon by e-mail when I've received the amp. I'll try the amp first before I decide to rewind it or not.

Again, thanks!

Johan  ;)

IP Logged
chrisby
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 11/14/06 at 20:31:27

[quote author=Jolojl  link=1163359784/0#6 date=1163534763]Chrisby, thanks!  :)

That was exactly the information I was looking for!

I'll contact Devon by e-mail when I've received the amp. I'll try the amp first before I decide to rewind it or not.

Again, thanks!

Johan  ;)
[/quote]

Johan - perhaps I'm an alarmist, but unless you want to risk a brief light show, followed by an expensive and smelly paperweight, you don't want to be powering the amp up without either the step-down transformer or rewiring of the mains transformer.  

Please confirm with Steve or Denis before powering up, but assuming the "universal" power transformer is the same in the Taboo as the Select C and new SE84ZS, there are some primary  leads that need be reconfigured, as per the Schematic diagram for the SE84CS or ZS shown on the last page of the model's owner's manual.

For 240V, the solid black and brown leads connect to your AC mains, and the black/white striped & white leads are connected together; pink and brown/white stripe are disconnected and insulated off.

IP Logged
Jolojl
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 11/14/06 at 20:46:14

Hi Chrisby!

Sorry, I wasn't clear in my answer. I'm getting a step-down transformer before plugging in the amp Smiley.

A couple of months ago I contacted Almarro on the issue of using a transformer with their A205 amp (similar to the Taboo -- never bought it), and got the answer that a step-down transformer actually gives better current than regular current (but not a step-up transformer, though). Through this thread I wanted to know if I could use the Taboo on 230v without opening it up and having to rewind it (which I wouldn't do by myself). Now I know I need to get a transformer and will probably stick to that, at least for a while.

Would you have any ideas on how much power a step-down transformer should be able to handle (the Taboo is 75w at full power)? I'm thinking of 300 w...

Johan  ;)

IP Logged
chrisby
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 11/14/06 at 21:06:03

While I've never performed this particular operation,  the reconfiguring of the Taboo's mains transformer doesn't appear to be a particularly complicated piece of work - but if you've already decided to buy a separate step-down transformer, the point is moot.

For the total power consumption of the Taboo at 75W, a step-down/isolation transformer of at least 300W would definitely be advisable. It would allow the use of other 120V 50/60Hz components as your tweaking journey continues.  :D

Make sure however, that you don't replace the amp's male cord end with a dual round pin or Schuko type plug - that would make it very easy to accidentally connect directly to over-voltage.
That would be a bad thing

« Last Edit: 11/14/06 at 21:06:47 by chrisby »  
  IP Logged
Jolojl
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 11/14/06 at 21:23:03

Hi again Chrisby!  ;)

The seller is sending along an American cable with the amp (unfortunately not the stock Taboo cord) and that is what I will use to start with. Will upgrade the cable later on and will stick to American cords as long as I use a transformer. I've seen there is a Decware cord on the site, maybe that one...

I might try to rewire the amp in the future just to see how it's done, but I'm not really into DIY...

Thanks again for your help!  :)

Johan

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print