Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
07/30/14 at 18:13:44

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
CORNER HORN PROJECT X4 pics (Read 45906 times)
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Re: CORNER HORN PROJECT X4 pics
Reply #60 - 02/18/07 at 21:35:48

Another couple tips that came to mind.

You will want to stuff the hollow sections under the wings with fiberglass or expanded foam to eliminate that air space in the cavity.  This makes a huge improvement in the tightness of the bass.

Find some foam weather stripping and make a gasket so you get an air tight seal between the horns and walls.

-Steve

WWW   IP Logged
wild_6_99
Verified Member

Corner horns X 4=
awesome

Reply #61 - 02/18/07 at 23:46:26

wild_6_99   IP Logged
wild_6_99
Verified Member

Corner horns X 4=
awesome

Reply #62 - 02/18/07 at 23:58:49

i have yet to add the gasket
good eye steve

just need to get a few freinds over to help me move them

very kind offer steve, ill consider parting with the drivers after a little while...still love listening to them hahaha

calling it "the great wall of sound"

for those who have listened so far love it

but for those in ontario email me and maybe u can have a listen too

wild_6_99   IP Logged
musgofasa
Seasoned Member

Where is that
monkey? I want to
shoot something!

Reply #63 - 02/19/07 at 00:39:36

oh man!!!!!!!!!!!

I have just turned green with envy my friend. Not only do you have 4 of these monsters (in the configuration I was wondering about, you have Steve offering suggestions on your room and even to modify your drivers for free!!!!!!

I am so jealous I could spit!

Makes me want to buy a ticket to Canada!

Your work is excellent. I can only imagine the difficulty rating on this project. I believe I have the skills, although not the tools just yet, but I have no doubt that one way or another a pair or two of these will be in my future. My question right now is which set sounds better currently? The AC with the tweeters or the Fostex full range? I really want to know the comparison when the drivers are modified..

By the way Steve,

How much would a set of those moded drivers run me if I decided to get them first? (and maybe work on breaking them in a bit before I got the horns built?

Take care,
Robert

The graveyard is full of important men
musgofasa   IP Logged
G
Ex Member

Reply #64 - 02/19/07 at 00:53:22

Oh My Goodness
totally sweeeeet
great job and you are my hero and with balls yet!

Steve I have balls but I would not if I build them and leave my balls out this.
I remember when I built the little speakers I have and the months of discontent and punishment I endured to just have them in a place where I could listen to them.

G

IP Logged
Corey
Ex Member

Reply #65 - 02/24/07 at 02:08:31

wild_6_99 wrote on 02/18/07 at 18:36:13:
...far as construction conclusions go,.....yes they will take alot dedication
ive now put over 110 hrs into the 4 of them

I can't believe I was even dreaming of building these. Way beyond my skill level.

If you treat your room properly with some bass traps and diffusors you should be blown away by those world class speakers you just built yourself there sir.

Corey

IP Logged
serenechaos
Seasoned Member

Reply #66 - 02/24/07 at 03:45:25

wild_6_99 wrote on 02/18/07 at 18:36:13:
then last week i took another trip to home depot because i still had a nasty echo when i clap in the center of the room. so i bought a bag of SAFE'n SOUND Ruxul, i cut them in 24" squares to fill the top corner on top of the stacked horns.
this made a big improvement in my bass response around the center of the room
then i wrapped the remaining ruxul insulation batts (24x48x3") with another old bed sheet put 1 each along the side walls with a pair of the 1" thick rigid fiblerglass on top.
this was the best configuration i came up with so far
If ya see any problems in the pics or suggestion on improving my room, im all ears
yes diffusars are coming soon, just rounding up the cash before i make the call to robert bury  for 15 sheets of 1/8" and another sheet or 2 of mdf

Insulation wrapped in bed sheets.  
Sounds like a great idea for quick, easy to build bass traps!  

Is that working out well?  
I was dissapointed, went in a different direction.  
Maybe I just need more insulation/bass traps.  
I only used 6 rolls of fiberglass, and havent built diffusers yet.  
(And only 2 corner horns).  
Robert

Dual turntable, modified Toshiba cd player
CSP pre, SE84CS-EX SET, Urei and 6C45 Spud amps
ML TLs, HDTs, OBs, Nagaoka Swans,Corner horns, subs
Dedicated room undergoing treatment
  IP Logged
wild_6_99
Verified Member

Corner horns X 4=
awesome

Reply #67 - 03/01/07 at 13:05:30

robert the bass traps were prety simple to make...$35 canadian for a bag of 8 batts of ruxul 3" thick....and the ceiling tiles were $30 for the six...they made a huge difference in the echo of the room when places high up along the walls

ya a bed sheet set was mere  $15 from wallmart

i may be moving soon so a 4 cornered room is a  must and hey maybe even get the alcove.....going apartment hunting in a couple  weeks

and of course deaf nieghbours would be a good thing...lol

the 2 way combo i have in the 2nd pair of horns....sounds very good...the extended treble is great and clean

there are a few dips in the midbass tho....maybe 60-150 hz
i dont have proper equipment to test it , but should have a db meter soon, ill get back to yas how i intend to fix it.....prob insulation..but we'll see

cheers

Andy

wild_6_99   IP Logged
DaveCan
Ex Member

Reply #68 - 03/01/07 at 15:28:31

Hey Andy, did you seal all the gaps from the horn to the wall yet? It is suppose to be very important to do so, also are you going to take Steve up on his offer to mod the drivers?  

You've done such a fine job on those horns it would seem that the two items i've mentioned are a must to do them up 100%...
 Dave Smiley

IP Logged
wild_6_99
Verified Member

Corner horns X 4=
awesome

Reply #69 - 03/04/07 at 18:20:54

im gonna see if i can get ahold of steve tomorrow, find out shipping costs and details about the drivers,

as for sealing against the wall.....they are real heavy and well moving them...will be complicated....i also will be moving into the city in the next month or 2 ...back to ottawa.....hopfully find a nice  room so they can permanently have a home .....and while i have them down ill add the gasket and foam up the wing chambers

but till then....its happy listening

ohh by the way...im looking into building a amp dvd player rack/stand of some kind (gonna use the left over mdf from the horns) .....if anyone has any challenging designs, plz post them

im always trying to test my skills

cheers
Andy

wild_6_99   IP Logged
MikeW
Seasoned Member

Late great James
Jamerson

Reply #70 - 03/04/07 at 19:43:11

Andy....again I say thanks for sharing this endeavor with us. It has bee a real treat wathching this project of yours and I am sure it will continute to be. Good luck with the move and make sure we see pictures of the next home for those abosulutely stunning speakers.

One of my favorite philosophical tenets is that people will agree with you only if they already agree with you. You do not change people's minds.
Zen Select
Zen CSP
Ah Njoe Tjoeb

IP Logged
60_and_up
Seasoned Member

kids should live.

Reply #71 - 03/29/07 at 15:39:19

very nice work,

Peace hath higher tests of manhood than battle ever knew. ...
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print