Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
07/28/14 at 05:16:31

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print
CORNER HORN PROJECT X4 pics (Read 45824 times)
musgofasa
Ex Member

Re: CORNER HORN PROJECT X4 pics
Reply #15 - 11/07/06 at 23:39:31

Holy smokes!
If it were me, I would do the single driver fostex first and then experiment from there to see what you think of the sound. Steve had also mentioned a special speaker for these a while back and judging from what I saw at Zygi's house, I bet it is special just for the horns.
I am not sure about the room dimensions. I think that sounds pretty good. I know the white paper says that they need a cutout in between the horns or knee walls to create that effect. As far as how they would sound without that, the only person who could likely answer that is Steve. The accounts I have been given would indicate this is the best sounding design ever though so it might not be all that picky as far as the walls and room, but I sure wish I knew.
Where do you live? I might just buy a ticket to take a listen when you get done!  ;D

Keep us posted your work looks beautiful so far!

Robert

IP Logged
wild_6_99
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 11/08/06 at 03:36:54

i live north of kingston (1 hr) ontario, up in cottage country

its deer hunting season right now so work has slowd down(boss and coworkers gone hunting)..but dosnt bother me abit  work from 9-3 then play in the shop til midnight

ill try to get ahold of steve tomorrow

as far as those pics go....ill takem right now, just gotta move some of my roomates stuff

ya im sure il be showing them off lots when i get them hooked up
maybe ill have a lil hornfest lol

IP Logged
wild_6_99
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 11/08/06 at 14:33:38

the kitchen view of the BIG room

IP Logged
wild_6_99
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 11/08/06 at 14:39:41

the corner were the tv is will be one in the commmercial config, and making a knee wall on the opposite side

IP Logged
wild_6_99
Ex Member

Reply #19 - 11/08/06 at 14:53:56

my house wrecker in my  sound room, i made it with 1/4x 1/4 solid cherry beading up the sides to stop dents and mdf waffering, base is made from solid cherry as well as the top, veneered cherry of course

well behind that will be the placment of the horns, and a big wall for 12 diffusers 2'x2' gonna be making almost 20 difusars, and 2 bass traps 6" thick pink fiberglass...cause the room is really LIVE , which is not a bad thing somtimes...but gets a lil fatiguing at higher volumes, so i thought id make the horns first and  see how they sound...then add diffusars and absorbers  

is this the right process im not sure but seams logical for me

IP Logged
wild_6_99
Ex Member

Reply #20 - 11/08/06 at 14:57:47

IP Logged
wild_6_99
Ex Member

Reply #21 - 11/09/06 at 01:42:45

2 sets of curves all sanded out smooth Cheesy
2 to go

IP Logged
wild_6_99
Ex Member

Reply #22 - 11/12/06 at 22:52:44

how many ppl actually have these plans?

plz double check with me on this maybe i got a lemon

i have some measuments descrepentcies on mine

in many papers including the white papers for the corner horns , it says they are 24x24" footprint.....
on the other hand my full scale drawing measures square 23 7/8"x 23 5/8" could this just be cause it was hand drawn?

no affence what so ever to Steve(the master himself), just curious weather it was intentional or not.....cause if so ive screwed up, ive made all my layouts on all 8 panels 24"x 24"(its fitin together real nice tho)

i tryed to referance back to where lines meet up and such, i  think its just maybe the printing copying process as well... could be many things

somone plz check yours plz and hopfully

come to a good conclusion.

i tryed callin steve a couple times now to no avail, but hes a busy guy im sure

cheers
Andy

IP Logged
Mike W
Ex Member

Reply #23 - 11/15/06 at 12:27:24

Andy, I do not have the answer to your question but it sure is very kind of you to take photos and walk us through this process. If I had a room that would be a candidate for these horns, they are what I would have.

Good luck.....I hope Steve or someone can help you. Smiley

IP Logged
serenechaos
Ex Member

Reply #24 - 11/15/06 at 20:48:03

Hey Andy,
Yeah, mine measure the same.  
I'm guessing it's from hand drawing.  
I'm also guessing it's why part "V" wasn't the "right" # of degrees in the template. (I made a bunch until I came up with one to match the template; I don't remember what it came out to).  
I measured the 'print, and found the sides different, and figured it wasn't supposed to be exact, but more of a guide to follow.  
So I decided to go with the numbers in the white papers.  
Just divided the angles out, (don't remember off the top of my head what they were either, but they where where the saw had detents, not between half degrees), and cut the top & bottom plates to just under 24".  (I made mine out of baltic birch, and left enough thickness to veneer them).  (Still haven't) Sad  
On the internal holes--
I cut mine out, and drilled and installed inserts for the smaller drivers in case I wanted to install them later.  
I talked to Steve about it though, and he said that configuration was just for outdoor use.  
They are room sensitive.  
Enough I don't even want to write anything about them yet.  
I had them in (just over)  13 x 11 x 9 room with an alcove, built to the same dimensions as Steve's reference room, and was expecting great things.  
I'll just say I learned a lot about the importance of room treatment.  
After trying my HDTs, and a pair of ML TLs, and both also sounding bad in this room with "great" proportions, it's time to build traps & diffusers before I say anything more.  
Robert

IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Reply #25 - 11/16/06 at 00:48:45

things that make you go " hmmmmm"  ???

IP Logged
wild_6_99
Ex Member

Reply #26 - 11/16/06 at 02:05:20

well sadly enough i also need alot of aborption and diffusion as well , .... just dont got the cash to makem right now.....ive had the mdf for a couple months now....

right now doin the most cost effective thing without being bored around here (it gets real boring between fishing and snowmobile season, so biulding speakers fits right in for the fall)

besides why the hell would ya wanna be outside in this weather...warm cozy shop with lots of sawdust
how can ya go wrong Kiss Cheesy

maybe im overkilling the curves but each ones taken me a bout  an hr and half to 2 hrs  but just got 1 left to do on the 4th horn, so then im onto making the back pcs and putting them together

but more angle cuts to be made soon, ill post some pics soon.
ill becontinuing agian next week ,,gone all weekend..
By sunday,

cant wait to see the doors of the shop, to get started agian

cheers
Andy

« Last Edit: 11/16/06 at 02:10:24 by wild_6_99 »  
  IP Logged
Rap
Ex Member

Reply #27 - 12/01/06 at 19:02:20

Off to the spelling bee, I presume ??? Wink

IP Logged
serenechaos
Ex Member

Reply #28 - 12/01/06 at 20:08:40

fitting the compound angle cuts on the "wings" takes a while.  
the 'print and white paper again serve as more of a rough approximation than an exact template, and the builder has to fit not just compound angles, but to the curves made in the front, (which were probably made by eyeball with a belt sander, not fit with a template either).  
then four times for each speaker...
a frustrating bit of hand fitting to say the least, it may take a while.  
Robert

IP Logged
wild_6_99
Ex Member

Reply #29 - 12/04/06 at 23:52:11

hey all

progress resumes once again

last sunday got all the parts for the back all done and the internal peices...(fitting them was a lil tricky)

this past weekend i was at the annual Woodshow in ottawa

while in ottawa i picked up 2 more sheets of mdf (to make all the sail peices)

ya ill be using a beltsander to do the curves (mounted on the bench with belt side up)

with 24 grit  ;D Grin Grin Grin

pics coming shorty

cheers
Andy

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print