Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
10/22/14 at 23:40:53

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
WO for some 18" bad boys (Read 15387 times)
60ndown
Ex Member

Re: WO for some 18" bad boys
Reply #30 - 11/03/06 at 13:55:56

you tried 1nce with that beautiful big wo and now your moving on to a different design?................dont do that, i found with all my W builds they sounded better when the throat port opening was fireing onto a surface with  a small distance between the mouth and the surface, before you take the subs out try the monster wo standing or laying and fireing directly onto a solid surface (floor or an mdf pannel) my wo in a van sounded awful until i got it positioned corrretly, then it sounded awesome. i hope at least you tried it oriented a few different ways before you took it out and gave up?  tried it indoors yet?

IP Logged
mrezstreet
Ex Member

Reply #31 - 11/04/06 at 12:08:24

60 i tried fireing it into the cab...roof...and to the back doors the thing is like 300+ pounds lol my astro broke down, so the box was replaced with kids for a week,lol im ganna put the 19ov.2's in a slot port for now. i am working on getting my stereo shop opened again and need to have something that pounds that the kids can see the ed subs...i am a dealed of ed now...so i need to get ed's name out. ill play with the wo on a 12" plan and then see how it realy works and go from that point. hanks guys....robert...tl plains??? lol ???

IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Reply #32 - 11/05/06 at 15:31:23

The sealed chamber.

Did you build it to the sealed specs of the driver?
Slide the baffle into the cc more.
Your cc looks too large, well the whole bloody thing looks too large.
How are you going to get more spl out of shrinking the port out of the cc?

It looks really boomy and not bassy.

See if there is something you may have missed or not thought about

« Last Edit: 11/05/06 at 15:49:38 by gexter »  
  IP Logged
musgofasa
Ex Member

Reply #33 - 11/05/06 at 20:18:50

[quote author=gexter  link=1160835651/30#32 date=1162740683]
Slide the baffle into the cc more.
Your cc looks too large, well the whole bloody thing looks too large.
[/quote]

Gex,
That was the first thing I was going to suggest until I saw the picture  :(
It looks like the baffle is positioned into the inner boards which means he would have to totally rebuild the box to do that. Of course, if he builds like I do, that would've been the case anyway, lol.

As for closing off the port, I think that it would help lower the frequency some which would help SPL in that size vehicle. He said it was tuned WAY too high.

Of course, Mad man EZ here is looking for some SPL from the gods so it might be that we have to go into some BIG, BIG enclosure designs to get what he is after.

Ask him about the 178 cubic foot tapped line enclosure I sent him!

I need a new job, my brain is turning into Hair fertilizer I think  :-/

Robert

IP Logged
60ndown
Ex Member

Reply #34 - 11/05/06 at 21:40:51

from the wo plans page,

"Do not adjust the baffle further back in the chamber to reduce its size as a short cut, or you will increase the Q of the box to well over 1.0 (boom boom) "

anyone know how to calculate the 'q' of the 18" monster?

IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Reply #35 - 11/06/06 at 00:42:51

In case I was not clear..
side it into the CC expanding the sealed area.. not the opposite. if you did that you would have your nasty "boom boom"

I wish I had hair to lose. I already lost it because of my job.

leave the existing mounting hole where it is and make a new mount leaving the old one where it is serving as a brace for the driver to breath through into the " sealed chamber" and firing into the smaller CC " chamber with the port"

Clear as mud?

PS  nice build and just plain massive expanding the cool factor.

IP Logged
musgofasa
Ex Member

Reply #36 - 11/06/06 at 01:47:06

Duhhhhhh
I didna think of that Gex  :-/ Undecided Cry Cry

Sometimes you need another perspective, of course the speaker barely fits on the baffle at this widest point. Of course, if it were tilted a bit.......

So Josh,
What have you been up to and what are you working on as far as TL's go?

BTW have you seen the newest pics of Meade's civic?

Sick I tell ya, just plain Sick!!

Later
Robert

IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Reply #37 - 11/06/06 at 02:45:54

[quote author=musgofasa  link=1160835651/30#36 date=1162777626]

Sometimes you need another perspective, [/quote]

ya when you get busy looking for answers sombody comes along and says something simple. Its only fun if your that person that comes along.

[quote author=musgofasa  link=1160835651/30#36 date=1162777626]

of course the speaker barely fits on the baffle at this widest point. Of course, if it were tilted a bit.......

Robert [/quote]

Exactly... saw big air do it in his over sized WO he said his wife was not at all pleased with the results and it was removed from the house..
I know none of you have ever had something like that happen to you, I myself would never build a subwoofer that is excessive ( well another one anyway)

I wonder if that db12 that JJ420 has not picked up will fit in my sons civic he bought this weekend.

well yes it will, with room to spare!

Now I wonder if my wife will let all that MDF into his car! where did I put that can of shellac?

cya

IP Logged
mrezstreet
Ex Member

Reply #38 - 11/06/06 at 03:07:55

obert...the 12 cub slot port is under way....the 18's are gitting sad just sitind on the shelf well 12 cub +2 18" bad boys + 2k power.....and only 180sq " port tuned to res feq of van after the wall is in...port will be removable to chang tuning comp/dd Cheesy

IP Logged
BigAir
Ex Member

Reply #39 - 11/06/06 at 13:02:42

When I built my WO for 15's I scaled the box up by looking at the surface area of the woofers and then made the box that much taller.  That way the port lengths stayed the same.  If I remember right the whole box was still 36x36 (maybe slightly wider, I can't rember and I no longer have it).  The problem was with the baffles.  The angle was so steep that I had to notch the inside of the box to clear the flanges on the woofers. I also had to make sure I could remove the baffles.   I used some pretty small drivers too.  They were nothing like the ov19's that you used.  From what I discovered, it would be impossible to put 18's into a WO and still maintain a true scale to Steve's design.

« Last Edit: 11/06/06 at 13:05:29 by BigAir »  
  IP Logged
60ndown
Ex Member

Reply #40 - 11/06/06 at 20:09:16

i still dont understand why we cant scale the wo by the ratio of surface area of the sub? if the ratio of surface area to horn dimensions ? is kept the same, surely it will perform the same......wonnit? my wo21 did ok, plays very low and very accurate for a pair of cheap 6.5 inch drivers.?

« Last Edit: 11/06/06 at 20:10:55 by 60ndown »  
  IP Logged
60ndown
Ex Member

Reply #41 - 11/07/06 at 01:15:37

IP Logged
mrezstreet
Ex Member

Reply #42 - 11/07/06 at 03:59:39

only 1500....but free shipping....ps i sell ed so i should run em...lol if they wanna give me the hookup and brop the price to 200 ill take 4...lol Smiley

« Last Edit: 11/07/06 at 04:00:16 by mrezstreet »  
  IP Logged
BigAir
Ex Member

Reply #43 - 11/07/06 at 04:13:46

[quote author=60ndown  link=1160835651/30#40 date=1162843756]i still dont understand why we cant scale the wo by the ratio of surface area of the sub? if the ratio of surface area to horn dimensions ? is kept the same, surely it will perform the same......wonnit? [/quote]

Because it's horn.  Horns are tuned by the horn length.  It has to do with wave lengths.  If you make the entire box smaller, you will also make the horn shorter and the tuning higher.  If you make it bigger, you will make the horn longer and the tuning freq goes lower.  Probably too low.  Almost for sure so low that you would lose output.  I would imagine that because the WO is also a bandpass box, the horn length is even more critical to proper tuning.  That's the whole reason why I kept my 18" WO as close to Steve's design as possible and just made it taller/thicker.  Just remember, with horns length matters most.

IP Logged
mrezstreet
Ex Member

Reply #44 - 11/07/06 at 22:12:40

well the cc was made per bp specs 3.5 cub and i cannt understand how i can put my 19ov.2's in a 36 " box thay are 18.3" wide and like 8" deep??? made im just om crack Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print