Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
11/27/14 at 14:37:31

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print
WO for some 18" bad boys (Read 15854 times)
mrezstreet
Ex Member

Re: WO for some 18" bad boys
Reply #15 - 10/25/06 at 11:52:34

the subs are 18.3? outside di...with the box above i only have 17.5 across the baffl...should i make another top and bottem, or just move the 12" out to 13.5???so the sub will clear, or put the outside wall to the side of the box not on top?

IP Logged
musgofasa
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 10/25/06 at 13:51:38

EZ
If you put the side wall on the outside, will the sub clear then?
I didn't realize it was going to be that close.
You could also tilt the baffle at an angle, but I would prefer not to do that unless absolutely neccesary.
As long as the volumes don't change a lot, I don't think it will make any discernable difference to the sound.
Let me know what you decide.

Robert

IP Logged
mrezstreet
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 10/26/06 at 14:12:01

im ganna just move thw inside wall a bit, and well see haw it works, i think from a spl point it will be fine ??? but well know soon

IP Logged
musgofasa
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 10/26/06 at 14:24:17

Sounds good!
You got any pics yet?

IP Logged
mrezstreet
Ex Member

Reply #19 - 10/26/06 at 17:36:13

BOX WILL BE DONE FRIDAY...THEN THE PICS!  :D

IP Logged
colinreynolds
Ex Member

Reply #20 - 10/27/06 at 05:33:11

The kids are excited too!   Cheesy

IP Logged
60ndown
Ex Member

Reply #21 - 10/27/06 at 14:35:44

a wo with 18s is gona be so sweet, pity your butchering it for spl? maybe when and if you get bored of a fart box you can modd it back to a sql box?

IP Logged
mrezstreet
Ex Member

Reply #22 - 10/29/06 at 15:57:10

i must of messed up guys...it was tuned way tooooo high and i got killed 3 sheets mdf+ and 1 back ( bout killed mr loading that think in to the van) and i didnt hit 135.... pics on my http://www.icixsound.com/vb/icixnation.php?do=view&id=4652&catid=309 you can take a look...might me monday till the are up...be of line a few days...ill get back to ya guys...i need to do a 12" modle and play with it then try out the unchartered turf. the box was makeing funny noises...i stapled screwed and liquid nailed every thing??? Roll Eyes i guess ya never know till ya try ??? NEVER SAY DIE

IP Logged
musgofasa
Ex Member

Reply #23 - 10/29/06 at 21:00:30

Hey Josh!
How high was it tuned???
It might be a simple matter of that port side being too large? Could you slide a board in there to make that hole a little smaller? It is only 1.25" in the original. (If you think the tuning is the problem.
If it only did 135, it might be what I was talking about originally with the whole "size of horn" issues. That was the reason I had that huge design with the horn folding into the center at the front.
I would still love to play with that, but it is one of those things where wasting wood is a definite possibility.
So what's next for the big boys?
Wanna try a TL?
lol
Let me know what's on ya mind.

Later,
Robert

IP Logged
musgofasa
Ex Member

Reply #24 - 10/29/06 at 21:02:22

BTW,
GOod looking job on the box. Wish I could've been there to assist,
How are things going with the road to a new shop?

Robert

IP Logged
60ndown
Ex Member

Reply #25 - 10/30/06 at 04:01:59

[quote author=mrezstreet  link=1160835651/15#22 date=1162137430]i must of messed up guys...it was tuned way tooooo high and i got killed 3 sheets mdf+ and 1 back ( bout killed mr loading that think in to the van) and i didnt hit 135.... pics on my http://www.icixsound.com/vb/icixnation.php?do=view&id=4652&catid=309... you can take a look...might me monday till the are up...be of line a few days...ill get back to ya guys...i need to do a 12" modle and play with it then try out the unchartered turf. the box was makeing funny noises...i stapled screwed and liquid nailed every thing??? Roll Eyes i guess ya never know till ya try ??? NEVER SAY DIE [/quote]

close the port / throat up to 1.25 inches. you havent wasted the mdf and time, you just need to 'perfect' it.

IP Logged
J_Rock
Ex Member

Reply #26 - 10/30/06 at 13:25:14

This is just me double checking- but you did seal the sides of the box right?  I just don't see any pictures with sides on and want to be sure.

If you did and its still making noises- shrink the throat for a higher compression and lower tuning.

If that doesn't work- double check sealed chamber is in fact sealed- no air or movement while the sub is playing.

ANd finally- check the amp settings- I assume you set them up correctly- but often times the difference is a sub sounding blah and good is the Low Pass filter setting (or worse yet the little switch from High Pass to Low Pass).

IP Logged
musgofasa
Ex Member

Reply #27 - 10/30/06 at 13:43:26

You know, I just checked some numbers and me thinks the sealed chamber on those 18s might just be toooooo small.
Assembly shows the baffle board inset into the center boards so that won't be an easy thing to change.
Let us know if you played with it any Josh.
I hate it that it wasn't a success on the first try, but I think it could be worked with maybe.
I had the thought to tell you to seal the box up, cut holes in the top and mount the woofer to the outside to see how it sounds lol.
Hey no experiment is a complete waste.
I would like to hear the difference with the port closed down a lot though. That may be all it needs to completely change. Of course, those 18s just look TIGHT inside there.

Give us an update when you get a chance man!
Later,
Robert

IP Logged
mrezstreet
Ex Member

Reply #28 - 11/03/06 at 04:04:31

60...i know that i didnt waste time or wood...im learning.....robert...im going to put em in a 12 cub w 180" port tuned to 35 hz....a tl has crossed my mind
the bos was sealed well the throught can still be changed in my spare time ill play with it....i still thik it will kill stuff if i can tweek it right Cheesy

IP Logged
musgofasa
Ex Member

Reply #29 - 11/03/06 at 09:21:26

That's a thought.
Remember how huge the box designs were that I sent you for 4 15" subs/ It occurred to me that you are in a large van so something large might be in order.
12 cubes tuned to 35hz? that's for only 2 subs right?
180" port? hmmmm I need to look up the definition of TL, that might be approaching it already lol.
Keep us posted. It might be that the current box is still useable, but I am thinking it just doesn't have the volume to develop a wave for that big driver.
Oh well,
Let us know man!

Robert

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print