Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
10/24/14 at 14:00:48

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
preparing to build SPL WO ? (Read 14630 times)
colinreynolds
Ex Member

Re: preparing to build SPL WO ?
Reply #30 - 10/08/06 at 07:49:49

Woah!  What fun!

IP Logged
mrezstreet
Ex Member

Reply #31 - 10/17/06 at 16:14:31

ok i think im ganna make the 18" WO.....now i have to think about porting the back chamber ???...why can i just let good enuff b just that....... Undecided *light comes on* i am a bass freak....thats why Cheesy

IP Logged
dbjunkies
Ex Member

Reply #32 - 10/17/06 at 21:35:52

what determines the tuning frequency in doing that?  would it be the size of the cutout?  just thinking out loud again.... Kiss Kiss

IP Logged
musgofasa
Ex Member

Reply #33 - 10/17/06 at 23:26:26

This has come up a million times. The WO is a 4th order bandpass with what is similar to a multi port front side.
If you wanted to model it, my best guess would be to model it as a 6th order and find software that lets you put multiple ports of different sizes in the front chamber and then add a port to the rear chamber. I tried several times, but could not get anything reliabole from the computer model. The best we did was experiment with a hole in the mouth of the horn and adjusting it's size. If you leave it the length of the peice of wood (3/4") the size of the hole will determine the tuning frequency, but beware the box becomes very one note oriented.
I have not tried extending the port to make it an actual tuning element, but I think it would have some effect. If it could be tuned close to the same as the mouth of the front port is at the point where it exits, the box should see a very large rise in output at that frequency.
There is a lot of math that can be thrown at this, but the only way to do it is to build first, listen second and measure third.

Shoot first, ask questions later. That's what I always say lol.

Good luck if you embark on this road. I think I posted pics of the ported WO design I have recently either here or in another WO thread. Check that out too.

Robert

IP Logged
dbjunkies
Ex Member

Reply #34 - 10/17/06 at 23:46:27

i've been reading alot of these post and am currently building my first WO, to plan-also looking at the option for SPL competition--ie one note wonder--I'd like to test the idea of having the section removable, for competition sake, and back to the original design for daily listening--anybody played around with this and had any luck?? ??? ???  we thought of just attaching aeroports to the sealed chamber and somehow sealing them up for listening - that way we could play a little with the length and not have to tear the box apart everytime...

« Last Edit: 10/17/06 at 23:48:28 by dbjunkies »  
  IP Logged
Adrian D.
Ex Member

Reply #35 - 10/18/06 at 12:24:42

the spl idea is catching me. over here,  street a is dominated by a guy who runs 2 dd 10's and a dd z1 hitting something like 142.x beating him with a bit less power is my objective.
so my guess is that a ported wo would be fun to try.
an imperial is on next summer's 'to do list', so the wo will have to wait a little.

IP Logged
dbjunkies
Ex Member

Reply #36 - 10/18/06 at 14:40:40

is that db drag? - what subs/amps are you thinking of using?

IP Logged
oxy
Ex Member

Reply #37 - 10/18/06 at 14:42:39

[quote author=Adrian D.  link=1157009897/30#35 date=1161170682]the spl idea is catching me. over here,  street a is dominated by a guy who runs 2 dd 10's and a dd z1 hitting something like 142.x beating him with a bit less power is my objective.
so my guess is that a ported wo would be fun to try.
an imperial is on next summer's 'to do list', so the wo will have to wait a little. [/quote]

lol, 142 ?? in truck or ? Cheesy thats nothing for z1 and 2 x 10" ....

IP Logged
Adrian D.
Ex Member

Reply #38 - 10/18/06 at 16:19:39

db drag, new tl, skoda hachback.
speakers/amps undecided  :-[. looking for some amp in the something in the 1kw range... at least i'm decided on the box and the car (a volvo 340)
don't laugh, it was the 4th dbdrag edition ever, so there's more to come. but i laughed at 4 15's walled in a mini.
back on topic :
cutting a 4" hole in the sealed chamber (pointed inside the mouth) and adding a tube from the outside could give some ability to tune the beast.
seems to me like it would be best to have all the gear, a tl, lots of time and just experiment with diffrent port locations and port lengths.

IP Logged
dbjunkies
Ex Member

Reply #39 - 10/18/06 at 16:59:15

as soon as we finish the WO to plan, we'll test and get a baseline (or should it be bassline?)  then we will play with different aeroports, starting small and short -  it may be a little while before I can post results, as we are starting remote start season here! Cry Cry

IP Logged
J_Rock
Ex Member

Reply #40 - 10/18/06 at 18:34:24

[quote author=oxy  link=1157009897/30#37 date=1161178959]

lol, 142 ?? in truck or ? Cheesy thats nothing for z1 and 2 x 10" .... [/quote]

Why is this here? and why is it funny? If the mic is a new termlab that is pretty much the max those inefficient subs will do...

I am currently planing on flipping my WO over to add soem ports to the bottom- then seal them up for daily driving.

« Last Edit: 10/18/06 at 18:36:46 by j_rock777 »  
  IP Logged
dbjunkies
Ex Member

Reply #41 - 10/18/06 at 20:59:31

are you going to port out the sealed chamber at a 90?  Have to let us know how it does....

IP Logged
J_Rock
Ex Member

Reply #42 - 10/19/06 at 02:03:26

I am going to port it out the bottom- the other side and the horn are covered in vinyl, the bottom is not though.

IP Logged
oxy
Ex Member

Reply #43 - 10/19/06 at 06:08:04

[quote author=J_Rock  link=1157009897/30#40 date=1161192864]

Why is this here? and why is it funny? If the mic is a new termlab that is pretty much the max those inefficient subs will do...

[/quote]

because, with Z1 and 2x10" DD subs  in Skoda hachback, i guess it is Fabia, it must go around 150 dB ... my friend with 2x 150W subs and 400W amp , in seald enclosure doing that score (142 dB ) ,in closed trunk car @ peak 49Hz .......

« Last Edit: 10/19/06 at 06:08:36 by oxy »  
  IP Logged
Adrian D.
Ex Member

Reply #44 - 10/19/06 at 11:31:11

it was an octavia (the new octavia is a hatchback). so it's a bit bigger than the fabia.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print