Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
09/01/14 at 23:01:02

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
preparing to build SPL WO ? (Read 14079 times)
musgofasa
Ex Member

Re: preparing to build SPL WO ?
Reply #15 - 09/07/06 at 22:00:50

Speaking of which?
Has anyone measured the length of the horn section of a WO?
Just wondering what the length equates to at quarter of one wavelength?
Plus this would be modeled as a front loaded and I don't really know that much about front loaded horns.
I think the WO really acts more like a typical 4th order BP than any horn just because it is so short and abrupt, but it does seem to have a little better roll off from tune than a typical BP enclosure with the right woofers in it.
Now I want a drawing of the design you have in mind there JJ420 I am interested lol.
Whose cooking up something to build next? Kiss Kiss ???

IP Logged
jj420
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 09/07/06 at 23:53:36

OK, well, I dont do paint, so just envision a WO, but instead of the baffles for the drivers, leave that big area empty.  Now put the Lid on, and cut 2 10" holes in it over that large section for the drivers, set aside.  Build a second WO with NO lid, flip it over, then rotate 180 degrees and place over first WO.  Laminate the sides together however you like.  The chambers that used to contain driver/baffle are now compression chambers that create a lowpass filter in the system as well as an opportunity for more bracing.  Since the output from the cones is summed but 180 degrees out of phase with thier own backwaves it would be necessary to keep those as far apart as possible, hence an opening on two opposing sides of the box.

This alignment would not be suitable for a standing application, but laid over it would also make a very nice TV stand with a decent height (to make it over the coffee table)

Come to think on it, this would probably work even better with the WO32, since it has a longer horn section and currently no compression chamber to speak of.

IP Logged
Lee in Arkansas
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 09/08/06 at 05:25:21

you mean for the wo32 double-thingy your talking about, stretch the horn throat all the way back to where it's almost a point, fed by the compression chambers instead of being a direct front loaded horn? Basically, keep it 6th order, but stretch the throat farther down the side wall. Would probably want to put some type of bracing in there; that a pretty good sized piece of material there for the first section of the horn.

« Last Edit: 09/08/06 at 05:26:46 by Jet-Lee »  
  IP Logged
djman37
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 09/08/06 at 22:02:59

here's the thread I got my picture from.
http://p080.ezboard.com/fcaraudioforum87927frm46.showMessageRange?topicID=531.to...

i HAVE the missing pic at home.

IP Logged
musgofasa
Ex Member

Reply #19 - 09/09/06 at 02:13:51

OMG This makes me feel old!
That post is over three years old and Don is talking about the fact that the tests he and I did were "3 years ago". That means it has been 6 years since we messed with that design seriously! I had forgotten all about the "street" and "WR" spl classes lol!
If I remember correctly Don's test vehicle at the time was a van and mine was a Blazer. We tried cutting a whole bunch of slots in the box in different locations to see what would happen. We also expanded the throat opening anywhere from 3/4 inch to 3 or maybe 4 inches. The best we could get in the large vehicles was his 12" box with a slot cut right at the mouth opening if I am remembering right and this picture shows it exactly as it was built.

Now to the double WO box!
I love the sound of this simply because it should (In theory lol) double the efficiency of the driver by coupling twice as well. If we use the WO32 design and extend the horn length to make the taper a little more shallow, we could possibly get an 8' horn length? I think that would be right with the dimensions closer to the WO's 36" x 36". Then we would have room to adjust the compression chamber in both sides to be the same. The only thing is, the horns would be 180 degrees out of phase? I am thinking this would act like a TL enclosure perrsonally, but I am not sure since the expansion rate would be so much closer to ideal on both the front and back waves.
Which engineer in this group wants to take a stab at modeling a dual horn? Or would this be a quasi horn since we would in effect be loading two drivers into 4 throats that would load into two mouths?
Bleck! What a mess! I wonder how it would sound? I also wonder how to deal with the phasing? Is it possible that since the originatio of the wave would be out of phase and the horn mouth would be exactly 180 degrees that the output would sum slightly behind the timing? Seems like trying to time a piston engine at that point?
Let's build one! I am in!
SOmebody supply woofers and wood and I will put it together this weekend, otherwise I will build it as soon as funding permits I think. (Hey I built enough of these things, I should be able to do it in my sleep!)

Did I start this madness?

Robert

« Last Edit: 09/09/06 at 02:15:24 by musgofasa »  
  IP Logged
Lee in Arkansas
Ex Member

Reply #20 - 09/10/06 at 05:18:56

I hate you guys.....you make me think and want too much.

I wish I could model the idea, but I can't even model the original WO.

IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Reply #21 - 09/10/06 at 05:41:45

keep thinking and trim your wanter!
A nicely trimmed wanter can be a good thing, but to often they get bushy and overgrown and take over the thinking.

Man this is one crazy night for me, but a whole lot of fun.
this is what happens when the cabin boy is left on the ship alone.

IP Logged
musgofasa
Ex Member

Reply #22 - 09/10/06 at 14:27:02

LOL

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley
Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed
Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley
Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Reply #23 - 09/10/06 at 16:33:57

LOL
thanks Robert! Last night was a creative night, not all that usefull but creative. Undecided

IP Logged
djman37
Ex Member

Reply #24 - 09/19/06 at 03:06:43

BETTER LATE THAN NEVER: THE DBDON WO MOD.

« Last Edit: 09/19/06 at 03:07:25 by djman37 »  
  IP Logged
musgofasa
Ex Member

Reply #25 - 09/22/06 at 15:13:51

Hey!
I remember seeing that. Did Don ever build that one?
I can't remember. I see he is active over on the Termpro site again. I will check up with him tonight to see how his surgery went and everything. Looks like he is still kicking!
Might have to dredge up some memories from him, lol.
Now, is that supposed to be a 4 woofer set up or was that just the drawing for doing it with either set of drivers?
Seems like I remember one with the peice on the front. I can't remember what we were doing when he started that though. Might have been chambering that front wave pressure to adjust the frequency, but I am fuzzy now about why we started making that mod. Blech!
I hate getting old!

Robert

IP Logged
djman37
Ex Member

Reply #26 - 09/22/06 at 20:01:07

i can't tell either.  there's a lot going on in the drawing.  the front piece has me confused as well.  The lower right chamber isn't open either, so it looks like it might've been a rough.

IP Logged
oxy
Ex Member

Reply #27 - 09/22/06 at 20:50:46

LOL oh, yes it is confusing :S i didnt noticed lower right chamber... and WTF ?? why is it closed at the front...hm ...  ??? ??? ???

IP Logged
musgofasa
Ex Member

Reply #28 - 09/22/06 at 23:01:27

I am trying to remember what it was, but I think I remember Don or one of his customers or buddies having a need to extend the sound into a cabin or through a window or under a seat or something like that.
It might have been that simple. Could just be trying to direct output into a listening area for greater output.
The more I look at it, the more I am inclined to think it was just a rough and it is the same design for either pair of drivers. I know Don never would've put two different size speakers in the same box.
I doubt I will bring it back up though as the WO has it's limits. ALthough seeing that ranger flex makes one wonder how far out there those limits might be lol.
Now that I am getting back into the swing of hammering out numbers, I might have to go back and look at the whole "rubber port" idea and see how it can be manipulated some more. We recently did an expanding port design for a civic that really gets off. Might have to look at my design a little more closely and see if I stumbled on something. Maybe I can get a pic of it to post too.
I will let you guys know what it hits in the show he is going to tomorrow. I think it is getting close to 150 with a single (did I say CHEAP  8) ) sub.

Catch you guys later!

Robert

IP Logged
Adrian D.
Ex Member

Reply #29 - 10/01/06 at 06:13:05

looks like a ported wo to me...

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print