Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
12/21/14 at 13:41:05

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
New Taboo = Happy Camper (Read 13721 times)
RFZ_Quest
Ex Member

Re: New Taboo = Happy Camper
Reply #15 - 09/03/06 at 01:24:31

Here are the 5U4G ST style rectifiers which are premium offerings and guaranteed to work in the Taboo.

IP Logged
RFZ_Quest
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 09/03/06 at 01:31:39

The best BANG for your buck are with these 5U4GB newer style rectifiers.

IP Logged
RFZ_Quest
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 09/03/06 at 01:38:53

And a few more "GB" types.

IP Logged
DaveCan
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 09/03/06 at 03:03:18

Great info thanks  RFZ,
         I will look into getting some of those in the future and thanks for the great pics, I'm new to tubes so that really helps.
         The Taboo is everything I was hoping for and more, and I love it in its stock form.  I was able to go over to Dave's (planet10), and Chris was there also (chrisby),and I brought over my amp and BIB's, they really liked the Taboo  and said it sounded real nice with my BIB's.  Dave and Chris if your out there and want to chime in please add your own words and thoughts  :).
    Dave offered me a Mullard 12AU7A/ECC82 and a Brimar ECC83 input tube to take home and play with. We tried it with the Mullard and it sounded really nice. I'm into getting to know this amp in its stock form then maybe cryoing a set of the same tubes it came with then go from there. I need to educate myself as I'm new to all this. One thing I know is I feel I'm somewhat like Lon on the forums here, I just want to settle in and listen to my music and be happy with what I have put together.
  I've been listening to my Marantz HT amp for a long time and all I can say is when I first hooked up the Taboo to my speakers it was a whole different world, my HT amp isn't even close to being as good. I never thought there could be that much difference, now I know what all you guys have been talking about Grin.      Dave Smiley

IP Logged
RFZ_Quest
Ex Member

Reply #19 - 09/03/06 at 23:33:40

That's a good concept to follow Dave,

It will be interesting to hear your impressions after about 200 hours have stabilized the Taboo. You are right to adjust your familiarity to the stock form first. This is the clearest way to identify how much change actually takes place with various tube rolling.

You now can find out for yourself what various options can provide in overall sound without depending on others to describe the effects. You are really going to be amazed by what lies ahead! The difference lies within the choice you make but it is never set in stone.

BTW: I was testing some of my tube collection and just happened to find the answer to the question about earlier 5U4G tube types constructed with center rods between the plates.

This tube tested at 2400 plate 1 and 2350 for plate 2 out of a maximum range of 3000 on the micromhos scale which shows to have a long healthy life ahead of it. With the smooth black plate construction, this should sound very nice.

This clearly sums up the answer to that question:

U.S. Navy contract dated 1942

IP Logged
DaveCan
Ex Member

Reply #20 - 09/04/06 at 00:40:18

Thats a nice looking tube RFZ, 1942 wow Grin.  The Mullard 12AU7 that planet10 (Dave) let me take home to try does sound nice, but makes a hard pop sound from my speakers when powering up so I'm not going to use it. We listened to it at Daves and it did the same thing, kinda freaks me out. The Brimar I haven't tried yet. I guess I'm just happy with the way it is at this time in stock form.
     I can see what Steve means in the Taboo's manual when he says that with a standard 2volt source like a cd player with no pre-amp you will probably find the 12AU7 to have not enough gain, and with a pre-amp it could become your favorite tube.  It does sound really nice with that  value of tube for sure.
  Does Mullard make a 5y3GT rectifier tube?  I was thinking that maybe way down the road I might try to have all the tubes in the Taboo by Mullard if it isn't too pricey. As you can tell folks I know nothing about tubes, all I know is what the manual says with the Taboo  etc..  
   Last night it was funny, I had a Diana Krall cd playing as I was in the kitchen and my daughter Ashley 13 was in the living room flipping through a magazine totally content listening to it. I said to her wow your sitting in here listening to Diana Krall?, and she say's it sounds nice and she was just bored etc..  Now that has never happened when Diana was singing through my HT system before lol..     Dave Smiley

IP Logged
RFZ_Quest
Ex Member

Reply #21 - 09/04/06 at 05:48:13

Dave,

Take a look back on the first page and re-examine the 5Y3GT rectifiers in the first photo. The first tube on the left was manufactured in the UK by Mullard for RCA. The tube in the center is a standard RCA American made version. You can see a drastic difference in the build construction. The fat base versions are noted to have premium sound character and they do carry a higher cost to obtain. If you want the ultimate in performance, sacrifice must be made. Anything made by Mullard (especially with the "Blackburn" designator) is increasingly hard to find and they are in high demand. We all know about the effect of supply and demand.

A very good alternative which can be had very cheaply is that of acquiring military grade versions which have thicker glass and much larger bases. A good example are those with the WGTA designation preceded by the letters JAN (JOINT ARMY NAVY). These tubes are less prone to shock and vibration with a benefit gained similar to using tube dampers. Military tubes were designed to take the brutal conditions of a battlefield environment.

There are plenty of good 5Y3GT †n.o.s. rectifiers available from well respected brands such as RCA, General Electric, Sylvania, Raytheon, etc.. I have a wide selection of these from every manufacturer, so I can pretty much give a fair analysis for each in side by side comparisons. Since I have the highly regarded Mullard set as well, I can tell you from my perspective that there are indeed differences to prevail.

I will tell you up front that I found the "Mullard" made RCA to be the cream of the crop and it was a hands down decision from my experience. Depth and quality of tone were noticeably improved.

As you may recall, the Taboo used in the review process was of the older version but it is similar to what you have now. Yours has improvements which make the Taboo even better than past! It is much more attractive to say the least. The unit that I have belongs to Bob Z. (Zygi) and I have to send it back to him soon. I guess that means a new Taboo of my own is in the future.

I listened to the 12AU7 (Amperex Bugle Boy) that Bob had in the amp and I never experienced any type of popping sounds or any other odd anomalies associated with its use. Remember, just as the Taboo has been designed to operate optimally with the 5Y3GT, it too has been designed around the 12AX7 as the optimal choice. This however does not mean the best overall solution for your tastes and that is what makes this tube rolling enigma so special. You can dial in your own tailored sound to meet your specific taste in presentation. Whatís right for you may subjectively be substandard by another listener's perception and interpretation. The 12AU7 is better suited along with the 12AT7 for use in the output stage of a DAC such as in the Dec685. I preferred the use of an RCA 12AX7A as the driver tube in the Taboo. Not a critical change but it seemed to work conclusively better with my configuration. It really does hinge upon the total package as every tube factor creates a subjective influence upon the entire balance.

I really found my satisfaction level with the Mullard 5Y3GT and the RCA 12AX7A. These brought out infinite detail from the Russian military output tubes. When you hit a synchronized level of tube complement, you will be rewarded with every dominating factor coming into play, thus absolutely apparent once revealed. Once you have gained unprecedented layers of depth †with unrestrained †detail unraveling into space, †and †a †tonal balance so refined that you just have to sit back and marvel in the revelation, you have accomplished your goal. This should not be a difficult task for the Taboo, as it absolutely has the potential to enthrall ones senses with very little coaxing if any at all. The finer class of tubes just add to that extra bit of special flavoring into the mix.

I cannot stress enough, the importance of room acoustics as this has been discussed many times over on the forums. This is the most critical aspect of refined listening and you will never know the true potential of your equipment until a semblance of proper frequency balance has been attained in your environment. This accounts for at least fifty percent of your perceived sound matrix and by far, this makes the most pronounced improvement.

With this established, the next stage of cable refinement and tube upgrades will then reveal their unique qualities, without the masking of detail brought on by bad acoustical colorations within the room. You will be utterly shocked by the transformation that transpires with proper room treatments. The real shock comes when these remedies are removed and you are subjected to the chaos going on around you. That once great sounding stereo now sounds completely intolerable due to the room taking over with its horrible influence.

Dave, and everyone else, if you want to take your listening experience to the ultimate level, you must take heed to this advice. Trust me as others can attest, you will be glad that you did!

I was quite pleased to see that Simon has finally taken control of this situation and everyone should take special notice to what he is doing. (See his work in the room treatment section) He is heading in the right direction for fulfilling the total package and soon he will be expressing his newfound joy with what awaits him in his new environment. One day, everyone here will hear all about his marked improvement and I will just sit back and think, there is another person who finally got the big picture! Once you become an exclusive member of this club, you donít relinquish your membership!

Anyway, please take that in a positive perspective as many others seem not to put forth much relevancy to this crucial issue.

That is funny about your Daughterís new found attention span to the musical likes of D. Krall. There may be more to the magic of the Taboo than what meets the eye! Now if she begins to take pleasure with household duties in a self motivated manner, please inform the crew here. Just think what that would do to inspire sales for the Taboo.

As an example, take a look at this link on e-bay. A decent tube on a budget.

http://cgi.ebay.com/rca-5y3gt-electron-audiotube-audio-vacuumtube-tube_W0QQitemZ...

Take care.

Paul

IP Logged
DaveCan
Ex Member

Reply #22 - 11/17/06 at 20:44:06

Well I've had the Taboo for about 3 months now so time for an update..  I've changed out the stock tubes after doing some research on others to try, and also to have some spare tubes on hand etc..  The amp is absolutly fabulous with the stock tubes btw and now it's even better to my ears with the new ones I've chosen.
   Many thanks to Jim McShane for his advice and for being so easy to do business with. If you want replacement tubes for the Decware amps then a call to Steve is definately the best way to go, but if you'd like to try some nos and some tubes that he doesn't offer I highly recommend using Jim as a source.
 My amp is set up using a nos RCA 5y3gt rectifier, new issue JJ el84 power tubes and a nos RCA 5965 3 mica signal tube which was a suggestion from Jim to try out in the Taboo. I also got some new issue Tungsol 12ax7's and Dave (planet10) has lent me a cryoed Telefunken 12ax7 which has a Gold rating as tested..
  The Tungsol 12ax7 is a great sounding new issue tube in the Taboo edging out the stock Ruby, and the Telefunken edges out the Tungsol but doesn't beat the RCA 5965 to these ears..
  The Taboo has lived up to all my expectations that I had for it and then some. I would encourage anyone who has the new anniversary model to try it with a nos RCA 5y3gt, the new issue JJ el84's and a nos RCA 5965 3 mica. These tubes are very reasonable and the Taboo sounds absolutely wonderful with them.
  Lucid mode on the Taboo can just take your breath away on some recordings and make one feel so involved in the performance, I love the emotional impact that this feature can conjure up when listening to the Taboo in this mode.On some other recordings the sound is better with the lucid mode off ,so it's a real nice feature to play with and it's very unique and wonderful to have this feature on the Taboo to explore the sound with.          
                                   Dave Smiley

IP Logged
Lon
Ex Member

Reply #23 - 11/21/06 at 17:58:48

Dave,

I'm so happy you're enjoying the amp and the tube complement!

Keep on enjoying!

IP Logged
DaveCan
Ex Member

Reply #24 - 11/21/06 at 23:06:48

Thanks Lon, I seem to have a real nice synergy going on with my system that keeps me coming back for more and more. Makes me think of all the great music out there that I've yet to discover...  I had thought that my cd player would have been letting me down in the sq department but I'm thinking maybe the Yamaha natural sound players aren't that bad after all ,as everything is sounding wonderful..
  Too bad the Sony players that Steve mods are discontinued I would have been very interested in getting one as an upgrade to the Yamaha I have. It would be cool if I could find a brand new one still in the box, but I guess their all quite used now, and it could be hard to tell if a player in fact has never been used, and if it's really nos etc.
 What I want in my system as money allows is upgrade the cd player, get a tuner ( used Magnum Dynalab possibly), and maybe build a small sub based on the Seas driver that Terry Cain uses in his Baily Sub. I've pondered the idea of the CSP2 but I really like the sound I'm getting going direct from source to the Taboo so I'll let that idea go to the back burner for a while, and I think I'd like 4 inputs instead of the 2 that's offered with it anyhow...         Dave Smiley

IP Logged
Stone Deaf
Seasoned Member

Reply #25 - 04/17/09 at 18:42:01

I have had my Taboo long enough to do some tube rolling. As far as rectifiers go I like the Mazda 5Y3GT and have used both Mullard GZ34 and International Servicemaster GZ34 made in Japan by Matsushita which is a very, very good sounding tube. I am expecting shipment of a pair of Shuguang 574B rectifiers any day now to give them a try.

For power I am currently using TAD EL84-STR built in China for The Tube Doctor. I ran a set of these in an 18 watt Marshall Guitar Amp and they spun my head around so I tried then in the Taboo, same thing. These are the biggest sounding, loudest power tubes I have tried to date and I have tried a bunch of them. I doubt I will run out of power tubes for the Taboo, I have Genelex (New and NOS), Mullard (New and NOS) Telefunken, Simian, General, Amperex, Phillips mini watt and Russian Ps. These TAD tubes are heavy, a bit shorter and thicker than others and they really glow in the dark. Can't read a book by them but they do run warmer than the rest. My second choice is Genelex or Telefunkin, can't tell much difference between them but they do sound most excellent on softer rock and jazz.

As for the power tube I give the nod to RCA 12AX7A blackplate or clear top. Both easily best Mullard, Brimar or Amperex to my ears. I would try a Telefunkin if I had one.

Anyone out there listening to Rock music should give those TAD tubes a shot. I think you might like them.

« Last Edit: 04/17/09 at 19:23:00 by Stone Deaf »  

My system: Decware Taboo, CSP2, ZP3, Pro-Ject RM 10 / Grado Reference Sonata, Adcom 700, ERR Radials, Lots of Mapleshade, Kimber and Herbie's stuff.
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #26 - 04/17/09 at 23:00:13

I am happy with the RCA 5U4GB in mine.

DECWARE CSP2+, TABOO MK III; SE84CKC; HR1; TRAPEZIUM DESKTOP SPEAKERS; TECHNICS SL1200MK5 turntable; Ah! Njoe Tjoeb CD player; MARANTZ 2226B, 2216B receivers; SENNHEISER HD-580 headphones
  IP Logged
Stone Deaf
Seasoned Member

Reply #27 - 04/27/09 at 14:16:58

The 574 rectifier tubes came Friday and after some burn in seem to have settled down. I think I am going to like them. Nothing I have tried seems to sound really bad in the Taboo, a few stand out but nothing really bad.

My system: Decware Taboo, CSP2, ZP3, Pro-Ject RM 10 / Grado Reference Sonata, Adcom 700, ERR Radials, Lots of Mapleshade, Kimber and Herbie's stuff.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print