Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/25/14 at 02:56:18

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Standing in the shower thinking... (Read 7611 times)
jkalet
Ex Member

Re: Standing in the shower thinking...
Reply #15 - 08/30/06 at 16:39:52

Yah, thanks for the example.  Now I'm thinking about why the HW is worthwhile in the first place...

*edit* (dang)
Lemme get this straight, we're still talking about filling a room (>144sqft) with bass, not a car, right?

And does anybody have any comments about driver sag/Daytons/HW/etc?

« Last Edit: 08/30/06 at 16:47:10 by jkalet »  
  IP Logged
Wreckinthehouse
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 08/30/06 at 17:02:41

I personally havn't heard the Db12's but in theory they should outperform the HW's, to a point. Remember when I said that you would have more control and tighter bass? that's where the fun starts. The db's should push more air to a certain power level and then the drivers will reach their X-max. With dual loaded HW's the opposing cones control each other. If you have the power the 2 Hw's will absolutly out perform the Db's side by side as would 2 single loaded Hw's. I use dual Peavey loaded Hw's to Dj with and they never fail to get the cops called regardless of room size. Power is the key here when comparing the output of these cabinets. I use a Peavey PV-2600 and I've got to chase these subs on the dance floor and pull them back to the stage about every 1/2 hour. The dual loaded HW is mountains away from the single loaded. The only time that I would recommend single loading a HW is for low power HT use.

IP Logged
Adrian D.
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 08/31/06 at 05:46:25

[quote author=Wreckinthehouse  link=1156872872/15#16 date=1156953761]I personally havn't heard the Db12's but in theory they should outperform the HW's, to a point. Remember when I said that you would have more control and tighter bass? that's where the fun starts. The db's should push more air to a certain power level and then the drivers will reach their X-max. With dual loaded HW's the opposing cones control each other. If you have the power the 2 Hw's will absolutly out perform the Db's side by side as would 2 single loaded Hw's. I use dual Peavey loaded Hw's to Dj with and they never fail to get the cops called regardless of room size. Power is the key here when comparing the output of these cabinets. I use a Peavey PV-2600 and I've got to chase these subs on the dance floor and pull them back to the stage about every 1/2 hour. The dual loaded HW is mountains away from the single loaded. The only time that I would recommend single loading a HW is for low power HT use. [/quote]
do you have them highpassed ? check this to see some problems of the hw.
sorry to argue, but...
with the db, the drivers will be far more controlled, mainly because the sealed box behind them. even more control comes from the ported box in front.
with the hw on the other hand...
when you play freq below the tuning freq, you'll easily bottom out the drivers.
jkalet, what do you want to use the hwk for ?

IP Logged
Bob in St. Louis
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 08/31/06 at 12:16:09

Jude, (it is Jude right?  ???)
If you follow that thread, at the end, you'll find a nice HWK specifically for the LFs and below. I'm happy with what John and I have done, and will not go back. Remember this monster is for HT mainly. Slightly less musical than before but again, better to "blow things up" with.
No more 'klopping' now, even when I get stupid with it, but too boomy for music.
Somewhere in the last 5 pages or so, you'll find HZ/DB numbers after the mods.

Bob

IP Logged
jkalet
Ex Member

Reply #19 - 08/31/06 at 12:42:29

Thanks everybody.

Adrian:  It'll be for music only.  (I say "only" like there are absolutes besides death and taxes  ;) )  I plan on building something for when I DJ/spin, but I don't think I'm ready for an Imp yet.

Bob: You're correct.  Dad was a hippie ("Hey Jude") and mom was pretty religous (St. Jude).   I'm ebarrassed to say how much time I've logged combing through the posts on this site for info.  Since what I'm planning for will be for music, hopefully I won't have to do any mods.

I feel pretty confident that the HW is the right build for me; you all have been real helpful.  However, I'd be interested to hear anybody's opinion one way or the other about Dayton's Titanic line for a HW.

Jude

IP Logged
Bob in St. Louis
Ex Member

Reply #20 - 08/31/06 at 13:12:43

Jude, I feel safe in saying that if you build one of Steves designs and use a recommended/proven driver, you won't be doing any mods.  

bob

IP Logged
Adrian D.
Ex Member

Reply #21 - 08/31/06 at 13:57:18

if it's dj-ing you're after, go with the hwk.

IP Logged
Wreckinthehouse
Ex Member

Reply #22 - 08/31/06 at 14:04:40

[quote author=Adrian D.  link=1156872872/15#21 date=1157029038]if it's dj-ing you're after, go with the hwk. [/quote]
Fa Sho!!!

IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Reply #23 - 09/01/06 at 03:21:53

IMHO
2 single loaded DB's are better than a a dual 12 HWK.
and having two its location location location.
I have a 12 DB that sits unused because MDF is banned from the house. I was going to build a second but no longer can.
One on each side of the HT. spent way too much time on the build because I wanted them nice. I have cherry veneer that was intended for them and sits coiled up wating for a new home.
The DB 12 is nice looking and impressive. the HWK is impressive but its just a box.

Box's stand out and are great for show. IB's are stealth and sneak up on you when your not looking.
look at the attic thread. Beware that a EQ may be needed and more power is the only problem, and both can be overcome.

IMHO

Hmmm I seem to have misplaced my shower gel and the water has gone cold.
I guess I think slow.

« Last Edit: 09/01/06 at 03:24:15 by gexter »  
  IP Logged
jkalet
Ex Member

Reply #24 - 09/01/06 at 03:46:36

Interesting debate this has started.   ???  Although most of the posts have gone astray from my original question, I enjoy hearing/seeing the comparison between builds.

IP Logged
Bob in St. Louis
Ex Member

Reply #25 - 09/01/06 at 11:05:45

[quote author=gexter  link=1156872872/15#23 date=1157077313]sits unused because MDF is banned from the house. [/quote]

Gex, you can't even have MDF in the house!? I thought it was the gas/dust from cuting, but you can't even have it inside!
How about painting it outside, letting it "set/seal" and bringing it inside?
Or are you being super/double/extra sure the house is CLEAN?

Bob

IP Logged
Wreckinthehouse
Ex Member

Reply #26 - 09/01/06 at 12:38:15

[quote author=jkalet  link=1156872872/15#24 date=1157078796]Interesting debate this has started.   ???  Although most of the posts have gone astray from my original question, I enjoy hearing/seeing the comparison between builds. [/quote]
JKALET, Do you have the sub already? If not, why dont you use the recommended driver which is a Peavey Black widow. The cost is about the same and if you blow it you can just change the motor instead of the whole speaker

IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Reply #27 - 09/01/06 at 13:07:51

[quote author=jkalet  link=1156872872/15#24 date=1157078796]Interesting debate this has started.   ???  Although most of the posts have gone astray from my original question, I enjoy hearing/seeing the comparison between builds. [/quote]

Whoops
sorry about that. we are not talking about thinking in a shower?
no really!  sorry about that.

On the driver ti3 I never checked the sag however it is my humble opinion that the HWK is suited to a larger Vas driver. One thing that seems to happen is the driver looses control easier in the HWK.

« Last Edit: 09/01/06 at 13:11:54 by gexter »  
  IP Logged
jkalet
Ex Member

Reply #28 - 09/01/06 at 13:48:33

Quote:
JKALET, Do you have the sub already? If not, why dont you use the recommended driver which is a Peavey Black widow.

No not yet.  I'm not THAT lazy, but it would just be easier to get all the components from the same place (ie PE) and I don't see the Black Widow on their site.  I'm not opposed to the Widow, I was just wondering about the Titanic vs the "oh-so-popular" Series II because they have similar Fs, Qts, and Vas.  One thing about the recommended Widow, Steve says it's good to around 40Hz.  Just like limbo, I'd like to go lower.  :)

Quote:
On the driver ti3 I never checked the sag however it is my humble opinion that the HWK is suited to a larger Vas driver. One thing that seems to happen is the driver looses control easier in the HWK.

Larger Vas...hmmm...good to know.  Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought I read somewhere on this board there was a misprint in the white papers.  Shouldn't it read "a maximum Vas of 10 cubic feet"?

Stay dry east coast

IP Logged
Wreckinthehouse
Ex Member

Reply #29 - 09/01/06 at 14:52:18

My new parts express catalog shows Peavey speakers in stock. Check the web site to be sure. Have no fear about going low, it will definitely do that. It will go a little lower with one driver but for punchiness and shear volume and control use dual. The HW will bottom out a lot faster with one speaker. I have two deathboxes in my suv and they sound great, the only thing that I dont like is that I cant hear when the speaker is in stress With my HW's I dont have to solely rely on clip lights, because I can hear the driver struggling and back off the gain.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print