Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
10/25/14 at 00:33:08

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Decware Taboo or Triode or Almarro A205 (Read 5763 times)
Jolojl
Ex Member

Decware Taboo or Triode or Almarro A205
08/28/06 at 12:12:48

Hi!

I'm currently using a NOS DAC (Derek Shek) with a T-Amp and a pair of original Snell K (90 db/w). Digital and analog cables are DH Labs and speaker cables are Anti-Cables. Listening room is about 15 X 12 feet. I rarely have the volume pot on the T-Amp at more than nine o'clock.

I'm planning on getting a used tube amp in exchange of the T-Amp. I want to keep soundstage, details, transparence and most importantly the PRaT (as the English say) and have a couple of options, the Decware Taboo, Triode and the Almarro A205. What I'm looking for in a tube amp is a sense of "reality" and "presence" in the delivery. Before deciding I need to know a bit more on the Decwares (and the Almarro). Please feel free to comment or give advice.

- Would the Triode be powerful enough for the Snells?
- Are there any sonic differences between the Taboo and the Triode or is it just a matter of power?
- I live in Sweden and we have 220V as standard voltage. There are more 110V Decwares available used than 220V. Can one use a 110V version with a transformer without affecting the sound quality of the amp?
- I've seen a Decware SE84 CS on Audiogon for sale but can't find any information on the site on this item. Is it a very old or a special issue of the Zen Triode?
- I suppose this is the wrong forum for this question but I put it anyway Smiley How do the two Decwares above compare with the Almarro A205 with regard to what I'm looking for (PRaT and presence, for instance)?

Please feel free to comment!
Jolojl

IP Logged
msa
Ex Member

Re: Decware Taboo or Triode or Almarro A205
Reply #1 - 08/28/06 at 14:59:30

I've owned bot the Taboo and Almarro. They are very similar, but the tubed rectifier in the former makes it the winner for me since changing that rectifier can affect the sound and allows a bit of tuning. The Taboo is only 5 wpc. That may not be enough to drive your Snell's (90db) particularly for a tight bass, which I believe is a requirement for "prat". If you are going to keep those speakers, i would recommend an 845-based SET or a push-pull amp with at least 25wpc. Good luck.

IP Logged
selmerdave
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 08/29/06 at 14:02:19

Hi Jololj,

I really don't think the Zen triode would be enough power for your Snells.  But then it might sound good enough to convince you to get different speakers.

The SE84CS is the "Select" version of Zen triode, it was offered for several years and I believe may have been most popular Decware amp.  It uses a different rectifier, better coupling caps and is biased slightly differently from the SE84C.  It also has a higher quality chassis.

I haven't heard a Taboo but from what I understand the sound is not the same as the triode amps.  The reports suggest it is a little more transparent sounding, and perhaps a bit more detailed.  It may have enough power for your Snells, but I would think it is close to the borderline.

Couldn't tell you about the Almarro, I haven't heard one, but they seem like well-made amps.  

What about the Torii II?

Dave

IP Logged
Jolojl
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 08/29/06 at 19:58:03

Hi msa and Dave! Thanks for your feedback!

The tuning option on the Taboo is a very good reason for getting that amp instead of an Almarro! Hmm... A minimum of 25W makes the options a bit more expensive...

Sorry to hear that the Zen triode would not have enough power. I'm really fond of the Snells and will keep them in any case even thoigh I plan to get some kind of single driver speaker in the near future, more efficient than the Snells.

I'd like to try a Torii II but that's way out of my budget  (which is about 500 USD incl. shipping) Sad

Many things seems to point me towards trying a Taboo. Now I just need to find one. BTW, I got the response from an informed source that a step-down voltage transformer actually gives better power than normal power. That's good, I can now get any 110V version I want  :)

Thanks again for your comments and advice!
Jolojl

IP Logged
Sam in USA
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 08/29/06 at 20:59:54

Hi jololj

If you don't listen to your music very loud, Taboo will drive the 90dB speakers fine. Before I had Decware RL3.0s, I drove 89dB Polk R30s with my Taboo without any problem.   Smiley

Sam

IP Logged
Jolojl
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 08/30/06 at 15:14:46

Hi Sam!

I don't play my music extremly loud, even though I have some volume (usually the T-Amp is at nine o'clock, and that's enough to get the neighbours annoyed, unfortunately ...).

The Triode is still an option then, great!

Thanks for your feedback!
Jolojl

IP Logged
selmerdave
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 08/30/06 at 15:32:30

Jolojl, the Taboo is not a triode, just trying to make sure you don't get confused.  The SE84 triode amps will not annoy the neighbors with 90db speakers, we're talking about 90db peaks being the top listening volume.  The Taboo is closer to 5 or 6 watts which should do better.

Dave

IP Logged
Sam in USA
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 08/30/06 at 15:43:32

[quote author=Jolojl  link=1156767168/0#5 date=1156947286]Hi Sam!

The Triode is still an option then, great!

Thanks for your feedback!
Jolojl [/quote]

As Selmardave said, the Taboo is NOT a triode, it's a pentode. It has about 3 times more power than the triode  :)

IP Logged
Jolojl
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 08/30/06 at 15:56:12

Hi selmerdave and Sam!

Sorry! And thanks  :)

Actually I wasn't confusing the Triode with the Taboo, I was misreading Sam's Taboo as a Triode.

So unfortunately I won't keep the Triode on the list while the Taboo will stay.

Jolojl

IP Logged
Mike W
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 08/31/06 at 02:19:58

I have some 90db B&W matrix 803's. I tried the Zen triode and the Vaughn Carina (ultralinear at about 3.5 watts) and finally settled on a CJ push pull for the best sound with those speakers. The small amps were just not enough for the power hungry B&W's. From what I have read in reviews and such the Snell is a hard speaker to drive as well.

Just my 2 cents.....good luck. The Decware amps are very good but I do not believe you can hear what they can really do until mated with the right speaker which would be one that has high sensitivity (>94db) and with a simple or better yet no crossover.

IP Logged
Jolojl
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 08/31/06 at 18:46:22

Hi Mike!

Thanks for your input! This is really difficult: I get different answers from different people. I've understood that the Triode won't be powerful enough but I still hoped the Taboo would. Now according to you (and others at other sites) neither the Taboo or the Almarro would be enough. But I'm not sure, my T-Amp works just fine with the Snells and I don't think that these are such a heavy load (it's the original Ks).

Also it seems difficult to find a used Taboo or A205. Maybe I'll have a look at some Jolida or Sophia Baby, or even a vintage Scott or Fisher. I just wished it was possible to audition the various units, but that's the bad part of this "hobby": never possible to audition enough of the gear you're looking at...

Best,
Jolojl

IP Logged
DaveCan
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 08/31/06 at 19:18:05

Hi Jolojl,

I just recieved my new Aniversary Taboo this past weekend and have been held captive by it ever since. My cd player only puts out 2volts so the Taboo won't come up to full power, but still gets loud enough for my listening habit's.
  The thing with your Snells is that you will loose some rms power of whatever amp you use in the crossovers of your speakers
  I never got to try out the Taboo before I bought it, I just asked questions and researched it and made a decision to get one. I'm using 90db 1w1m single drivers no xovers and it's loud enough for me but YMMV. Sound quality wise I can whole heartily recommend this amp to anyone, it's very good and in a class by itself.  What are your speakers rated at and also your T-amp?
    Dave Smiley

« Last Edit: 08/31/06 at 19:19:15 by DaveCan »  
  IP Logged
planet10
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 08/31/06 at 22:26:51

Dave

I think its time to get that listening session we've been threatening togther.

RH84 vrs Taboo. Pentode vrs Pentode. and i guess we should throw in the triode EL84 El Cheapo too.

and a chance to listen to the BIBs.

dave

« Last Edit: 08/31/06 at 22:30:57 by planet10 »  
  IP Logged
planet10
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 08/31/06 at 22:29:55

Jolojl,

What T-Amp do you have?

dave

IP Logged
Jolojl
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 09/01/06 at 11:29:32

Hi DaveCan and planet10!

I use a regular and unmoddified SI T-Amp. I think it's rated at 2 X 5 W at 8 ohm. My Snells are 90 db/w and 8 ohm (I think). As mentioned I have no volume problem, and when I changed to Anti-Cables bass response reappeared (along with better mids and highs, and soundstage, and imaging, and music, and ...   Smiley ).

I envy you a little bit DaveCan for your Taboo  :)

Planet10: the SI T-Amp is being changed and if I can't get hold of a Taboo or an Almarro I'll get a DIY Paradise Charlize.

All the best,
Jolojl

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print