Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
1st DB10 build (Read 5975 times)
J_Rock
Ex Member

Re: 1st DB10 build
Reply #15 - 08/27/06 at 05:27:38

WOAH THERE 60!

What are you telling him?  Avoid Steve's amazing design?  Have someone else do the install?  Bazooka Tubes good?

There is alot wrong with that post right there...

But I can't seem to find out where the real 60ndown went- or maybe hes turned into 40 and up again...

Normally I agree with most of what 60 says- but that post is way off base.  

If boxing in the 7 x 10s is too hard, just try without them- it may work just fine.  My Infinity 6x9s have no box in back.

The reference series 10 incher is an amazing sub for its price.  I have had some good experiences with it.

As far as amp selection- just choose the amp with correct power handling and price- in other words what works for what you are willing to pay.  At this low of power amp type isn't really important.

Why, I bought a cheap Jensen AMplifier that does 250 wrms into 4 ohms- highly over-rated I would assume.  It powers my girlfriend's Infinity Reference fine. (WHich is in a DeathBox)

IP Logged
therooboy
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 08/27/06 at 11:24:33

hehe - i kinda had similar thoughts as you J_Rock but but being a newbie here, didn't want to dis anyone. From what I've read, there ain't no way I'll be installing anything other than A DB10! Yes, price is always an issue, especially at the moment as I haven't been as frugal as I could, nay should be. With a 1/4 of a million dollar house mortgage to service on my own, I need to be a little more careful than I have been lately. This is why I may seem a little price conscious. But I have been hangin' for a sub (especially the DB10) for a while and that itch needs scratchin'.

I am a little weary of installers as I don't know of any good ones locally. I used a reputable electronics chains installer to fit my 7x10s, head unit and amp a few years ago. I wasn't very happy with the quality of all the work done. Trim not re-fitted properly, the amp screwed into the back of the seats, the 7x10's mounted from underneath using an adapter and metal filings left around the place. If anyone knows of a decent installer in Melbourne Australia, please let me know.

Can anyone share their experiences with value for money amps? As I mentioned, I am very happy with the Coustic 241SE and may look at another Coustic only because I like to go with what I know but am certainly willing to listen to other peoples opinions.

I think I'll just try the 7x10s unboxed to start with. I'll suck it and see as far as interaction with the DB10. I may set the crossover highish on the 7x10's (dunno, maybe 100hz +) in an effort to keep the cone movement down a bit.

IP Logged
Wreckinthehouse
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 08/30/06 at 17:33:16

[quote author=therooboy  link=1156065344/0#3 date=1156128808]Hi Adrian and 60,

Thanks for you suggestions. I'd like to keep my rear shelf speakers if possible as I don't want to have to spend another $200+ on new speakers. They weren't 'cheapies' when I purchased them 3 years ago and I doubt they'd fetch much on ebay. I'm going to be up for around $600 to build the DB10 inclduing a decent amp and its starting to get expensive if I have to get new front speakers as well. I dont think I can fit the 7x10s in the doors!

I notice the prices in the US are a lot cheaper than here in Australia Cry  - the result of a much bigger market due to a lot more people! I would get stuff from the US but when weight starts getting uo there, shipping can cost as much as the product which then brings it on par with Australian prices. For example, from a store, I can get the Infinity ref1040w for AUD$165 which is about AUD$65 below RRP. On Australian ebay, you can get it shipped for $180. On us ebay, you can get it shipped (within the US) for around USD$70 which is about AUD$92. I saw it online in the US for around USD$60. You get the picture!

So I think I will keep the 7x10s for now and as you suggest 60, I'll suck it and see, and go from there. I am anticipating an excellent sound from the DB10 as I have read what people are saying. It's like a good steak cooking on the BBQ, making my mouth water waiting for that steak to finally arrive on my plate! [/quote]
You should have those speakers sealed off if possible, but I would be more concerned about ripping the surround from slamming the trunk rather than from the sub. It may not have torn yet, but it will.

IP Logged
rock4016
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 09/19/06 at 15:24:11

I don't know how much room you have, but have you considered making fiberglass kickpanels for your 7x10s.  That would allow you to use them in the front.  The holes left behind in the rear deck will help with some of the higher bass notes from the Deathbox.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print