Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
10/25/14 at 05:29:17

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
NFX Design Notes are Here (Read 27276 times)
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

NFX Design Notes are Here
07/23/06 at 02:13:24

The NFX design notes can be previewed here:

http://www.decware.com/paper83.htm

And the plans will be online soon, as they are finished.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Doorman
Ex Member

Re: NFX Design Notes are Here
Reply #1 - 07/23/06 at 03:14:18

Steve: Are these cabs for an 8" driver only? (I just happen to have a well broken-in pair of FE167E's lying around!)
                                                             Don

IP Logged
John in CR
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 07/23/06 at 14:51:35

This is right on time, since I have 2 pairs of 206's that need a home.

The thing I really like is how Steve describes the sound as very big and open due to the venting out of the sides.  That means that the change I've made to my tombstone horn idea should achieve a similar "big" sound with the horn mouth being around the entire perimeter of the cab.

IP Logged
Chris K
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 07/23/06 at 21:58:43

How'bout horn loading the six slots on the NFX!! NOW THAT WOULD BE AN INSANELY DIFFICULT BUILD!!!!!!!!!!!! Undecided Undecided Undecided Undecided

IP Logged
J_Rock
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 07/23/06 at 23:00:28

Looking at the plans, I don't think the added complexity of hornloading will be necessary. lol

IP Logged
John in CR
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 07/23/06 at 23:04:32

[quote author=Chris K  link=1153620804/0#3 date=1153688323]How'bout horn loading the six slots on the NFX!! NOW THAT WOULD BE AN INSANELY DIFFICULT BUILD!!!!!!!!!!!! Undecided Undecided Undecided Undecided [/quote]

Chris,
That's kind of what I'm planning with the tombstone horn with the front view perimeter split up into 4 horn segments. This will give me a mouth area of almost half an Imperial but in a compact size cab.  The build won't be too difficult, 3 large panels and a number of interior dividers all 3" wide.  Sure there will be a number of odd angles, but the short 3" glueing length will permit imperfect but strong joints using one of the poly glues due to the strong support of the long dimensions having perfect joints.

IP Logged
Chris K
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 07/24/06 at 02:02:46

I can't wait to see it John (the modded tombstone)! You're probably as much (maybe more) of an experimenter that Steve and Bob. You seem to have come up with some unique ideas. So I've absolutly avoided putting my SI coaxes in even a flat board and I've had them since last Nov. I think. What should I put em in? One of your designs?
I wanna set of NFXs now. I'm shooting for a record breaking collection of Hi-Fi speakers in the houshold. Should be 6 0r 7 different pair by next year. Hows that sound? Undecided Pretty good I'd say. What are you listening to most these days?

IP Logged
Doorman
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 07/24/06 at 02:41:50

Chris: I can safely say that 6 or 7 pairs of speakers in some households is "normal"!
But it is a nice collection!
                                                           Don

IP Logged
John in CR
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 07/24/06 at 03:06:45

I don't want to hijack Steve's NFX thread anymore.  I can't wait for his plans to become available as this is something I want to build, especially since I already have drivers for it.

I'll update my tombstone thread once I have some results.

IP Logged
Manowar
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 07/24/06 at 04:43:11

Hey Steve,

How would the Visaton B200 or the Fostex F200A fare in this cabinet design?

Thanks,
Manowar ???

IP Logged
AudioNirvana
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 07/24/06 at 20:21:45

Thats exactly what i was about to ask, how would B200's work in the NFX? Hmmm, this may well become next summers project, depending on feedback given about the complexity of the build.

Its an awsome design, and something id really like to try, however id have to cut all the angles with a jig-saw (skill-saw) and that worries me. The WO was bad enough.

IP Logged
SoundOfMusic
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 07/25/06 at 17:04:38

Hello!

I am also wondering which drivers would work well in the cabinet?
Only horn drivers?
Or are OB-drivers with high Q are also possible?

Any guidelines for driver selection available?
Which changes would be necessary to adapt the cabinets to drivers with different parameters or even size?

Many thanks in advance!

SOM

IP Logged
Rap
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 07/25/06 at 23:20:07

the hills are alive with the ....  ;)

IP Logged
rmt
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 07/26/06 at 01:42:54

I got my NFX plans and have been studying them.  I think I will build a scale model first to check the fit of my cutting angles and dimensions.  I have finally cleared out and reorganized my shop area so I am ready to go. It should be a fun build.

IP Logged
franksmith
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 07/26/06 at 02:10:24

I'm interested also.

I have a spare pair of fe206em ready to be installed.

I would probably build them using straight angle.

On the plan, is there construction note for the 8 degree one and the straight angle one ?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print