Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/25/14 at 04:57:55

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Removal of socket base on an SE84C (Read 1191 times)
Zikks
Ex Member

Removal of socket base on an SE84C
07/26/06 at 20:09:24

I'm wondering how easy it is to remove the aluminum (?) bases that surround the power and pre tube sockets on an SE84C.

I think aesthitics-wise it would look much nicer minus those things.

If it's not advised I won't touch it - I'm not that concerned with it.

Thanks folks.

IP Logged
selmerdave
Ex Member

Re: Removal of socket base on an SE84C
Reply #1 - 07/26/06 at 20:47:12

Hi,

The sockets are attached by the aluminum bases so you can't really remove them.  For a half-way hack job you can do what I did, which is to take them off and use a hack saw to hack off everything above the bottom and then reattach them.  Of course, it looks like that's what I did, but I can live with it.  Just be careful because they are just soft aluminum.

Dave

IP Logged
DukeJupiter
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 08/01/06 at 00:59:02

You could buy replacement sockets like these, and only use the mounting clip instead of cutting down your existing shields.  It's only a few dollars and may look a little cleaner.

Available from:

http://www.thetubestore.com/socket8pin.html

Just make sure your socket diameter is the same as the part you buy.

!DUKE

IP Logged
magicsound
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 09/01/06 at 21:19:11

yea, without the alum base is aesthetically pleasing...like the base of csp. But I think changing it is a lot of work...you have to re-solder everything.

mon

IP Logged
selmerdave
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 09/02/06 at 04:49:46

No resoldering necessary, I certainly didn't (nor is it worth ruining that beautiful factory soldering).  The hard part is just getting the screws out and mainly back in again.  Then you just take the aluminum shield off the top leaving the socket more or less hanging there, do whatever form of surgery is desired, and then put it back.  Discharging the power supply caps before doing this is a MUST, as with any work in one of these.

Dave

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print