Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
07/22/14 at 16:40:19

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
New TUBE for Zen amps (Read 17032 times)
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

New TUBE for Zen amps
07/04/06 at 02:42:19

I have just purchased 200 NOS Russian tubes that I think Decware owner's will really enjoy rolling in their amplifiers!

It is a 6H2N, Russia's version of the 12AX7.  Almost identicle in specs but with a 6.3 volt heater on pins 4,5 just like the 6N1P, 6DJ8, 6922 tubes you are now using.  Difference is gain.  The 6H2N will have aprox twice the gain.

Should be here in a couple weeks and I'll list them in the catalog.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Re: New TUBE for Zen amps
Reply #1 - 07/04/06 at 03:11:42

Steve,

That's interesting! I want to try them just because I can, but what do you expect the doubling of gain at that point will do to the overall balance, sound, tone, power, or anything else you can think of in a Zen C?

« Last Edit: 07/04/06 at 03:13:18 by DirtDawg »  
  IP Logged
Hotsauce
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 07/04/06 at 07:49:21

Would you consider cryoing a batch?

Bear in mind the improvement you heard in the cryoed power tubes.

John C.

IP Logged
rmt
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 07/05/06 at 00:54:12

Are these to be used in a CSP or Select in place of the 6922/6n1p/6bj8?

IP Logged
veryoldcat
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 07/05/06 at 05:18:52

[quote author=rmt  link=1151980939/0#3 date=1152057252]Are these to be used in a CSP or Select in place of the 6922/6n1p/6bj8? [/quote]

This, presumably, is the idea Smiley

Karl

IP Logged
ado420
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 07/05/06 at 17:45:49

How about the Zbox?

IP Logged
Chas
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 07/06/06 at 13:33:14

For those interested, you can get tubes cryo'd where I do  http://www.cryoplus.com/ at a cost of $5.00 per tube with $20. minimum order.  I am having four 6H2N-EB (Russian Spelling) 6N2P-EB or EV (English spelling) cryo'd by Kathi at CryoPlus.  Found my tubes on the auction bay place and was pleased with the photos which showed quality construction from 1974 when the CCCP Soviet Union was still a powerhouse.  Should be interesting.  My Torii could use some extra gain.  

Funny though, the spec sheets would almost have you believe the 6H2N/6N2P has half, not double the gain of a 6N1P as max dissipation in watts of each triode of a 6N1P is 2.2 watts and a 6N2P is 1 watt dissipation.

IP Logged
mullman
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 07/06/06 at 13:38:45

Steve,

bump this thread when they comes it, I'd like to try it along with turning my CDP's output to 750mv.

IP Logged
rmt
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 07/07/06 at 00:21:57

What will double the gain get you on the Select front tube?  Won't distortion become a factor?  I ask this question seriously because I do not know much about electronics.  What I do know is that my Decware gear sounds "fabulous" (term borrowed from boead) and if Steve recommends it I will probably try it out. I would like to know what to expect though.  Any comments?

IP Logged
Chas
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 07/07/06 at 00:41:35

rmt,

First, I would like to please have a confirmation from Steve that the 6N2P does indeed have twice and not half the gain of a 6N1P as my reading of the specs makes me wonder.

Steve - Have you actually compared the 6N1P with 6N2P (6H2N - Russian spelling) to hear the gain difference?

If the 6N2P does indeed have twice the gain of a 6N1P, it will make your Select compatible with some low output devices that can't drive the Select very well with a 6N1P.  Devices like low output customized CD players.  Also, if you use a pre-amp with low gain, it may make quite a difference in your LP listening.  What's possible are enhanced dynamics which are lost with lesser gain.

However, if you suffer no gain-related problems right now, I suspect you may find differences of flavor with this tube, but it will just be another tube to try among many others for what sound you prefer.  But if Steve says it's good, it is likely worth a go.  That's the fun thing about tube rolling -- it's generally fairly cheap and the results can be most interesting and every once in a while you stumble upon a tube that just seems right to balance the rest of your system sound.   Cheesy

IP Logged
selmerdave
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 07/07/06 at 01:58:03

Chas it's a 6H2P not a 6N2P, maybe that's the confusion.  6H2P appears to be quite close to a 12ax7 as Steve says, and it is quite different from the 6H2N as well.

Dave

« Last Edit: 07/07/06 at 01:59:09 by selmerdave »  
  IP Logged
Chas
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 07/07/06 at 03:06:50

Dave,

I searched under 6H2N and found that this is merely the Russian spelling for what in our alphabet translates to 6N2P and the 6N2P is stated as being a replacement for a 12AX7.

However, I would be pleased to be corrected for sure, if I have made a mistake in this.  The tubes I just bought read "6H2N" on them, but were advertised as 6N2P.

Anyway, glad to hear from you again Dave -- I was away from this site for two whole years!  Very nice to hear from old friends again.   Grin

IP Logged
selmerdave
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 07/07/06 at 03:43:43

And good to hear from you too.  Well, I managed to confuse myself in trying to figure this out.  Trying to un-confuse myself: to the extent of my russian anyway, the 6H2N and 6N2P are similar or the same tube (as you just stated).  The 6H2P is quite different, apparently I looked it up in my own confusion.

6H2P:
http://www.mif.pg.gda.pl/homepages/frank/sheets/113/6/6H2P.pdf

6H2N:
http://www.gstube.com/data/?mmm=561

6N2P:
http://www.mif.pg.gda.pl/homepages/frank/sheets/113/6/6N2P.pdf

It appears that the 6H2N/6N2P have a mu of 100, so I would think the gain would be the same as a 12ax7 (100) compared to a 6922 (33), so that would seem to confirm Steve's comment.

Sorry for (my) confusion.

Dave

IP Logged
Chas
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 07/07/06 at 05:37:25

Dave,

Good research and good news - glad to hear the gain is about 3 times that of a 6922!  I REALLY look forward to trying my new tubes once they arrive (first they go from Bulgaria to KathiCryo in Ohio and from Cryo treatment to me - about two or so weeks before I'll have them).  My dear Torii I amp returned home to me after being away for 2 years with another owner.  As it doesn't have the extra gain stage, the pumped 6N2P-EB (military grade) vintage 1974 tubes may be quite alot of fun as the gain was "just good enough" using a modded Sony 685 CDP.  However, I run my modded Torii Testarossa without any feedback and it will really be interesting to see what these tubes can do.  Yes, the amp is stable without feedback and sounds much better without it.  But I also have extra filtering in this amp in the form of dual chokes per channel, so ripple and interstage supply problems are about nil.  New tubes!  This should be fun!  Of course, if it's a dud with my amp, so be it, but maybe, just maybe ......
hope springs eternal --   Wink

IP Logged
selmerdave
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 07/07/06 at 14:56:49

Well do let us know your impressions, and enjoy the amp (again).

Dave

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print