Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
11/01/14 at 12:59:18

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
New TUBE for Zen amps (Read 18187 times)
Chas
Ex Member

Re: New TUBE for Zen amps
Reply #15 - 07/07/06 at 19:28:20

Dave,

Thanks.  Getting an amp back like this was a welcome and totally unexpected pleasure as I never did get the time to assemble myself another amp using the same schematic (and all cost-no-object parts).  Still have the parts sitting in boxes waiting for my attention.

Yup, for sure I'll post on what the cryo'd 6N2P-EB does for me.
I expect I'll hear a little soft white noise with the extra gain, but I actually like that "12AX7" tube rush -- just like a dog salivates when you set out a steak for him, I get this feeling of wonderful expectation when I hear those tubes come on line - the prelude to a beautiful experience with my music.  My mind has simply trained itself to look forward to a little tube hiss as in "yes, T-minus 5 and counting".  Sure hope it's not a disappointment.  My Torii could do with a little boost at the input.

Hoping all your listening experiences are as pleasurable.  ;D

Chas

IP Logged
Harana
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 07/13/06 at 01:16:49

how about a batch of Cryod tubes

IP Logged
Chas
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 07/13/06 at 14:50:18

Hi Harana,

Let me say that I firmly believe everyone should have all of their tubes cryo'd for two reasons:  One, the sonic improvements are noticeable and sometimes striking; Two, the tubes should last longer due to the strengthening of the metals which have had their crystalline structures permanently transformed and "toughened" by the cryogenic process.  Many tooling manufacturers get their metal cutters cryogenically treated and these tools stay sharp in use up to three times longer.  I don't know how long a cryo'd tube lasts relative to non-cryo'd tube, but would be interested if anyone could comment on this.  To me, a tube that last longer AND sounds better is worth quite a lot - a whole lot more than the $5. per tube treatment costs.

The value of having a group batch of tubes done doesn't really have much savings involved anymore.  I get all my tubes cryo'd at http://www.cryoplus.com/ and Kathi charges $5.00 per tube with a minimum of a $20. order.  I've compared the sound of cryo'd vs non-cryo'd of the same batch and the cryo'd tubes are more detailed, refined and natural sounding to me.  My cryo'd 6N1P-EV input tubes on my Torii amp are two years old now and still doing fine.  I now have some cryo'd Svetlana EL34 tubes and I plan to plug them into the Torii to see if I can hear any difference compared with non-cryo'd EL-34s -  I expect there should be some difference, but no idea what, as yet.

So, if you have a Select amp, for instance, you can get all four of your favorite tubes cryo'd for just 20 bucks -- I don't see how a group order can do you better than this as the same $5.00 per tube charge still applies.  I think you'll agree that this is the best $20. you've spent on audio.   Cheesy

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #18 - 07/24/06 at 16:48:10

The new tubes have arrived and are in stock.  These are NOS Russian 6N2P.  I've described them in the catalog as a high gain version of the 6N1P.

Using these in place of the 6N1P/6922/6DJ8 will add significant gain to the amp.  The sound has more dynamics and presence, it's a more live sound.

The tube catalog has been redone to include this tube and it is located near the bottom of the page.

http://www.decware.com/newsite/tubesets.htm

WWW   IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Reply #19 - 07/24/06 at 17:35:26

Thanks, Steve,

I'm looking forward to them. I just ordered a couple, but I accidentally ordered Next Day Air service, but I don't need that at all.

DOH!

I'm hoping someone sees this or the email I sent to Devon, before the order is complete.
<:^( ... I'm a dunce.

Thanks for your help.

IP Logged
gnat leader
Ex Member

Reply #20 - 07/24/06 at 17:37:52

Which amp?  The CS?  We're not talking the CSP I'm thinking since it already has tons of gain.

IP Logged
erimille
Ex Member

Reply #21 - 07/24/06 at 19:21:34

[quote author=gnat leader  link=1151980939/15#20 date=1153759072]Which amp?  The CS?  We're not talking the CSP I'm thinking since it already has tons of gain. [/quote]

I ordered 4 with the thought of swaping in the high-gain ones to compare (1 for CS and 3 for CSP).   Adding gain to the CSP might be an over-kill, but i look forward to finding out Smiley

--e

IP Logged
Rap
Ex Member

Reply #22 - 07/29/06 at 23:05:26

Why is the tube complement for a SE84zs 10$ more expensive then a re-tube of a se84cs? Though all tubes are listed as the same ???

IP Logged
bo
Ex Member

Reply #23 - 07/30/06 at 19:32:03

[quote author=Rap  link=1151980939/15#22 date=1154210726]Why is the tube complement for a SE84zs 10$ more expensive then a re-tube of a se84cs? Though all tubes are listed as the same ??? [/quote]

Why does it cost $14 to ship a $16 tube? Why does it cost $14 to ship a tube - period! $16 is high enough for a Russian tube but $30 shipped?

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #24 - 08/05/06 at 03:28:25

[quote author=Rap  link=1151980939/15#22 date=1154210726]Why is the tube complement for a SE84zs 10$ more expensive then a re-tube of a se84cs? Though all tubes are listed as the same ??? [/quote]

The ZS ships with the 6p15p-EV output tubes whereas the CS shipped with standard SV83's.

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #25 - 08/05/06 at 03:31:52

[quote author=bo  link=1151980939/15#23 date=1154284323]

Why does it cost $14 to ship a $16 tube? Why does it cost $14 to ship a tube - period! $16 is high enough for a Russian tube but $30 shipped? [/quote]

Our realtime shipping calculator used in the shopping cart has been undergoing updates for the past 30 days.  It has been having problems calculating the correct shipping.  We are working on it.  Meanwhile, as always, all of our orders are processed by DeVon who always makes sure the shipping is correct before the cards are charged.

WWW   IP Logged
mullman
Ex Member

Reply #26 - 08/05/06 at 23:33:09

Thx Steve for bumping this thread.

Going to order two for my beloved CS...

Cheesy

IP Logged
bo
Ex Member

Reply #27 - 08/06/06 at 01:36:32

I will order one too at some point butÖ

For the last couple of months Iíve been listening to my Select with the stock SV83ís and 6N1P. I really got use to it and I was really loving the 6N1P. I mean I rolled through lots of different tubes and found that I liked the 6N1P best or at lest I found it to be the best compromise for musicality. I was actually disappointed with my much loved 6922 Amprex PQ, I found it to be edgy and overly detailed.

Well I decided that after all this time; Iíd switch back to the assortment I had used prior and for quite some time and get a fell for the difference. Again, it had been at least 8 weeks with the stock assortment of tubes. So the other day I put the GZ32, Mullard EL84ís and the 6922 Amprex PQ back in and nave been listening.

Now maybe itís the mods EV and Steve did but the amp just takes on an entirely different character with these tubes. From the first moment and through all the hours that have passed I am more pleased with the systems presentation then the stock assortment. I really liked the stock assortment and I really think the 6N1P is best suited for the amp with the SV83ís. I have listened to hundreds of hours of music of all types this way, trying (like I said) different input tubes and was and can be quite happy with the amp.

However, the GZ32/EL84/6922 combination is richer in the vocals range, has more weight and authority, more detail without being edgy or harsh. The soundstage is deeper, more focused and/or layered better and the system is more dynamic or has that sparkle that I like. Unfortunately I canít find anything that the stock assortment does better.

This tube assortment would cost about $200 for NOS or close to it and I think thatís a small price to pay for the difference. But again, my amp isnít stock and the mods what I choose with Eddie were specifically for this assortment of tubes.

Mull, what mods did EV do to your Select?

IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Reply #28 - 08/06/06 at 03:38:51

I got mine yesterday, but haven't had time to explore, other than lighting them up for a few minutes. Interesting! I will need to do some A/B-ing. I should get them good and hot tomorrow when I get back from the track. Don't worry - I wear earplugs and keep a "soundproof" radio headset handy. I'll still have healthy ears after the Brickyard.

« Last Edit: 08/06/06 at 03:42:03 by DirtDawg »  
  IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Reply #29 - 08/14/06 at 01:45:58

Well, guys, I still can't talk intelligently about Steve's new tube for the Zens, just yet.

I started this thread.

« Last Edit: 08/14/06 at 02:45:45 by DirtDawg »  
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print