Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
11/26/14 at 08:01:57

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
NEW Decware Amplifier (Read 21150 times)
Lon
Ex Member

Re: NEW Decware Amplifier
Reply #75 - 07/03/06 at 19:21:40

I don't know Steve, I have three different tubes that sound different, decidedly so, in the same machine.  That's weird ass bad quality control if nothing else!  And the Svetlana and the Sovtek appear to me to be structurally different (there are a number of years between them in purchase length, maybe they were in fact different manufacture?)

(I can't go and physically compare them; I've been away from home for two months and will be away from home for a few more months.  It sucks.)

I'm not saying you're not right, I am saying. . .looks like big quality control problems to me then.  And a crap shoot as to what you're going to get.

« Last Edit: 07/03/06 at 19:22:46 by Lon »  
  IP Logged
Chas
Ex Member

Reply #76 - 07/04/06 at 16:04:26

Hey Lon and ALL!! Chazz is B-B-Baaaack - ack ack ack!
So nice to drop in after nearly a two year hiatus and find my name still remembered for my humble attempts to discover better input tube (the cryo'd 6N1P-EB, mil-spec) and of course you remember my dollar-per-foot (shipped) Belden cryo'd Cat6 in white/green only least twisted pair?

Anyway, a funny thing happened recently.  Two years ago I sold my highly modded Torii Amp to Chip in the great NW.  Well, he contacted me after all this time to say mixing hot tubes and babies good music don't make and he offered to sell me back my Torii and I bought it back -- just arrived and have still to fire it back up again.  I only sold it in the firstplace because I had bought all overbuilt parts to make the same amp again, but with valve rectification -- similar to what Steve now has in the Torii II -- wonder how Steve did away with the feedback???  Must be the 0A3 regulator - lol.

Anyway, thought to post here on the mil-spec 6N1P-EV or EB.
Yup, I bought maybe 50 or so of these way back when from a university professor in Hungary, as I recall. Then had them cry'd here in the states.  Chip - who bought my Torii two years ago, said recently that he tried a bunch of other input tubes, but finally settled on these cryo'd 6N1P-EV tubes I sent him with the amp as best, overall.  I'm not surprised, as that was my take as well.  Maybe Steve is right about batch quality -- if that is so, I'll be keeping most of what I have left for myself  ;D

I'd really like to finally make my bigger version of the Torii, but bought my old modded Torii back to enjoy until then.

Anyway, great to be back and hello again to one and all.

Steve, is that Torii II schematic proprietary?  I'm sure you remember I was the first (maybe only) guy to build a Torii from the box of parts and your hand-drawn schematic?

Thanks to all for a great forum Smiley.

Chas  

« Last Edit: 07/04/06 at 16:17:14 by Chas »  
  IP Logged
Lon
Ex Member

Reply #77 - 07/04/06 at 17:14:21

Chas!

GREAT to see you back!  

Ah. . .sigh of relief. . . old friends coming back. . . it's good! Grin

IP Logged
Chas
Ex Member

Reply #78 - 07/04/06 at 19:55:52

Lon,

Thanks for the welcome back  ;)

You know, I just noticed I registered for this forum exactly five years ago -- wow! how time flies.  And then I bought my first ever tube kit - the Zen Select, built it, and it fired-up just great on first plug-in.

Decware products have been the best investment of my life --along with my association with all here and especially Steve Deckert who helped me along the way in my projects.

Let me explain.  Though I hold an Extra Class Ham Radio license, I never built much of anything - until my Select kit.
Getting one of the first CS kits meant instructions were not really too optimized, so ..... I finally taught myself to read schematics and voila - great confidence ensued.

I then not only finished my Select amp nicely, but later ordered the first Torii kit, helped fine tune the schematic Steve drew just for me, experimented with various ss rectifiers, coupling caps, by-pass caps, power caps, chokes, resistor values, feedback options and ended-up with one heck of a good amp.

But the real reason this has been such a good investment is that what I learned directly translated into my being hired as a "self-taught" electrician to work in the GE Wind Power division and this led quickly to my being promoted to my present position as a Project Manager making very healthy coin.

Now, how's that for an investment that not only sounds good, but makes itself valuable in other ways, too!!    :D

IP Logged
Lon
Ex Member

Reply #79 - 07/04/06 at 20:30:37

Chas!  That's great!  I bet you have fun, and wind power is a good thing!  Thanks for sharing, that's a great Decware story!

IP Logged
Chas
Ex Member

Reply #80 - 07/06/06 at 02:02:25

Lon,  Speaking of my nice 6NiP-EB cryo'd tubes, which are overall the best I've heard in my Torii I amp, I've decided to take a tip from Steve in another post and bought a few 6H2N (Russian Spelling)/6N2P-EB vintage 1974 (the ones with the missile on the side and which read OTK7 for military use).  The EB version is less microphonic and generally better spec'd, built and with a much longer life of 5000 hours.  Steve says these 6N2P tubes have twice the gain (through two triode stages, overall gain, I think of a 6N1P, but he was speaking of a 12AX7, initially) and that may be interesting in my Torii which could use the extra gain as I did not build-in the extra pre-amp stage.  The pics on ebay showed it as very well built.   I am having my four cryo'd and will report back on this site if they are much to talk about.  ;D

« Last Edit: 07/06/06 at 02:05:24 by Chas »  
  IP Logged
Lon
Ex Member

Reply #81 - 07/06/06 at 02:21:40

Do report back.  I just love to get all envious of the great cryo'd tubes of  others.  >:(

Smiley

Sound like a good plan. Chas the adventurer, the "doer". . . he's BAAACK.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print